Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Residence permit for Ireland?

Residence permit for Ireland?

Old Nov 1st 2005, 1:24 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residence permit for Ireland?

Originally Posted by JAJ
British citizens are entitled to apply for naturalisation after 5 years residence. There is no need to hold a residence permit. The law dealing with British citizens goes beyond EEA requirements.

Similarly children born in the ROI to British citizens (under the 2005 rules) are Irish citizens automatically. The usual 3 year residence rule where parents are not citizens does not apply to British citizens.

As far as those from other EEA states are concerned, there was a requirement a few years ago to hold a residence permit in order for residence to be counted for naturalisation purposes. This may have been repealed in the most recent set of legislation.

Jeremy
Hi

My New Zealand born husband also has a Dutch passport which he used when living in Europe. We lived in Ireland from 1999 until June of this year and he was never asked, nor did we enquire, about a residence permit. Not even when we bought our house. His best friend is in the Gardai (police force) and he never mentioned it either. I really wouldn't worry. This lack of control may bother you some day but we Irish have a great tendency to pay lip service to rules and regulations :-)