Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Republic of Ireland

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Aug 6th 2017, 3:30 pm   #1
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 82
OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renting in Dublin?

I recently arrived in Dublin, due to a job offer. Currently I am staying in an AirBnB.

Unfortunately, it seems that renting a simple one bedroom apartment seems an impossibility? My requests on Daft.ie, or myhomes.ie or rent.ie went mostly unanswered, even an employment reference letter is not enough as a reference, plus if one should get lucky, and get a viewing, 30 or 40 others show up.

Apparently, the one bedrooms start at 1.200 Euros per months, but are rare in this price range. Even if one is looking at paying 1.500 Euros to 1.700 Euros per months, it seems very very difficult to even get a viewing. Most realtors are friendly, but also reserved, with an arrogant undertone their attitude.

Is the rental market in Dublin that bad? Anybody having any similar experiences?

Sharing a place with others is not within my interest anymore.
OrangeMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th 2017, 9:49 pm   #2
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 4,869
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Dublin?

The following article was written in 2015 but is still relevant today:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...blin-1.2428831

Yes, the rental situation in Dublin tough. Google Irish Times and renting in Dublin and loads of articles come up about how difficult it is.
SanDiegogirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th 2017, 11:23 am   #3
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 82
OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Dublin?

The article in the Irish Times seems realistic, however, the mentioned rents have risen by around 30 to 40% in the meantime.

It would seem that there is a political lobby around in Ireland specifically not wanting to build new homes, so that the prices reach the pre-crisis levels of 2007. So basically what was wrong back then, is to be repeated at all cost.

Various US companies are hiring and expanding, Google, Facebook, etc.. Ireland only seems attractive for big US corporations trying to save corporation taxes, but it's unattractive for the employee as housing is not only un-affordable, but also impossible.
OrangeMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th 2017, 5:44 pm   #4
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 82
OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Dublin?

There is another Irish Times article on the matter:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...tage-1.3197280


"Every property she visits has queues outside. She arrived 15 minutes before viewing time on one property and there were about 25 people there before her and an additional 30 people waiting to see it when she left. The crisis is so bad she is considering relocating overseas.
“I feel I would be much better moving abroad for five years while the Government gets its act together and figures this out. It is too expensive. There is no balance in it,” she says. "
OrangeMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th 2017, 6:54 am   #5
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,959
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Dublin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeMango View Post
There is another Irish Times article on the matter:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...tage-1.3197280


"Every property she visits has queues outside. She arrived 15 minutes before viewing time on one property and there were about 25 people there before her and an additional 30 people waiting to see it when she left. The crisis is so bad she is considering relocating overseas.
“I feel I would be much better moving abroad for five years while the Government gets its act together and figures this out. It is too expensive. There is no balance in it,” she says. "
That's why I prefer living in and around Galway, although here it's also pretty bad for renters now (luckily we don't rent). It's more affordable to buy a house here, at least outside the city. The company I work for also has offices in Dublin but salaries not much higher there, so we're better off living here and have enough cash to drive to Dublin every weekend if we wish. Unfortunately moving abroad is not always a solution either. Have a friend in Munich and she said that you often have 40-50 couples looking at the same flat. You basically have to bring your CV and the estate agents/landlords push prices up all the time.
Moses2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th 2017, 9:29 am   #6
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 82
OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Dublin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
That's why I prefer living in and around Galway, although here it's also pretty bad for renters now (luckily we don't rent). It's more affordable to buy a house here, at least outside the city. The company I work for also has offices in Dublin but salaries not much higher there, so we're better off living here and have enough cash to drive to Dublin every weekend if we wish. Unfortunately moving abroad is not always a solution either. Have a friend in Munich and she said that you often have 40-50 couples looking at the same flat. You basically have to bring your CV and the estate agents/landlords push prices up all the time.
I have given up on it. I have left Dublin and Ireland as a whole, given up a career in a multinational IT company, simply because of the rental issue. Shared housing is no longer a choice at my age. Everybody in the office was sharing a place, Dublin often appears to be Europe's biggest shared housing....

If I'd live in Ireland, it would only be Dublin to me, for reasons of ease of access, airport and the most direct flights to where I wanted to go. Galway or Cork or Limerick just wouldn't fit me, too small, often too rural, too far away from where I want to be, even though the "Wild Atlantic Way" can be a very beautiful scenery, but it's just that to me, a scenery, nothing more.

Ireland is a lovely country, I must admit, however, I suggest to anybody interested in Ireland, to try to wait a while, and try to consider Ireland in two or three years time, depending on housing.

And yes, you're correct, Munich in Germany can be a similar experience regarding property hunting, however the quality is often better, same as tenants rights.

It is beyond imagination that Dublin want's to bee seen as a possible economy benefactor of Brexit-Britain, as there is simply no housing, no matter what your salary. Even if one is used to life and the cultural aspect of a city like London, one would not be comfortable sharing accommodation in a small city the size of Manchester. That's the unfortunate and shocking part of Dublin.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Sep 26th 2017 at 9:35 am.
OrangeMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th 2017, 10:11 am   #7
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,959
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Dublin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeMango View Post
I have given up on it. I have left Dublin and Ireland as a whole, given up a career in a multinational IT company, simply because of the rental issue. Shared housing is no longer a choice at my age. Everybody in the office was sharing a place, Dublin often appears to be Europe's biggest shared housing....

If I'd live in Ireland, it would only be Dublin to me, for reasons of ease of access, airport and the most direct flights to where I wanted to go. Galway or Cork or Limerick just wouldn't fit me, too small, often too rural, too far away from where I want to be, even though the "Wild Atlantic Way" can be a very beautiful scenery, but it's just that to me, a scenery, nothing more.

Ireland is a lovely country, I must admit, however, I suggest to anybody interested in Ireland, to try to wait a while, and try to consider Ireland in two or three years time, depending on housing.

And yes, you're correct, Munich in Germany can be a similar experience regarding property hunting, however the quality is often better, same as tenants rights.

It is beyond imagination that Dublin want's to bee seen as a possible economy benefactor of Brexit-Britain, as there is simply no housing, no matter what your salary. Even if one is used to life and the cultural aspect of a city like London, one would not be comfortable sharing accommodation in a small city the size of Manchester. That's the unfortunate and shocking part of Dublin.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. While it might be shocking for you, that's what most people experience in many capitals these days (regardless of size). Some people have great salaries in Dublin and others don't, just like anywhere. A friends cousin just moved over to Dublin from the US and was impressed how cheap rental was. Works in IT and can rent a 3 bed house, while back in the US he was only able to afford a small 1 bed flat and had less cash left over at the end of the month. I'm always shocked when peoples weekly rent in Auckland is our mortgage in a month.
Moses2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Republic of Ireland


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 7:59 pm.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com