Renting in Dublin?

Old Aug 6th 2017, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renting in Dublin?

I recently arrived in Dublin, due to a job offer. Currently I am staying in an AirBnB.

Unfortunately, it seems that renting a simple one bedroom apartment seems an impossibility? My requests on Daft.ie, or myhomes.ie or rent.ie went mostly unanswered, even an employment reference letter is not enough as a reference, plus if one should get lucky, and get a viewing, 30 or 40 others show up.

Apparently, the one bedrooms start at 1.200 Euros per months, but are rare in this price range. Even if one is looking at paying 1.500 Euros to 1.700 Euros per months, it seems very very difficult to even get a viewing. Most realtors are friendly, but also reserved, with an arrogant undertone their attitude.

Is the rental market in Dublin that bad? Anybody having any similar experiences?

Sharing a place with others is not within my interest anymore.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Dublin?

The following article was written in 2015 but is still relevant today:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...blin-1.2428831

Yes, the rental situation in Dublin tough. Google Irish Times and renting in Dublin and loads of articles come up about how difficult it is.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

The article in the Irish Times seems realistic, however, the mentioned rents have risen by around 30 to 40% in the meantime.

It would seem that there is a political lobby around in Ireland specifically not wanting to build new homes, so that the prices reach the pre-crisis levels of 2007. So basically what was wrong back then, is to be repeated at all cost.

Various US companies are hiring and expanding, Google, Facebook, etc.. Ireland only seems attractive for big US corporations trying to save corporation taxes, but it's unattractive for the employee as housing is not only un-affordable, but also impossible.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

There is another Irish Times article on the matter:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...tage-1.3197280

"Every property she visits has queues outside. She arrived 15 minutes before viewing time on one property and there were about 25 people there before her and an additional 30 people waiting to see it when she left. The crisis is so bad she is considering relocating overseas.
“I feel I would be much better moving abroad for five years while the Government gets its act together and figures this out. It is too expensive. There is no balance in it,” she says. "
Old Sep 18th 2017, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
There is another Irish Times article on the matter:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...tage-1.3197280

"Every property she visits has queues outside. She arrived 15 minutes before viewing time on one property and there were about 25 people there before her and an additional 30 people waiting to see it when she left. The crisis is so bad she is considering relocating overseas.
“I feel I would be much better moving abroad for five years while the Government gets its act together and figures this out. It is too expensive. There is no balance in it,” she says. "
That's why I prefer living in and around Galway, although here it's also pretty bad for renters now (luckily we don't rent). It's more affordable to buy a house here, at least outside the city. The company I work for also has offices in Dublin but salaries not much higher there, so we're better off living here and have enough cash to drive to Dublin every weekend if we wish. Unfortunately moving abroad is not always a solution either. Have a friend in Munich and she said that you often have 40-50 couples looking at the same flat. You basically have to bring your CV and the estate agents/landlords push prices up all the time.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
That's why I prefer living in and around Galway, although here it's also pretty bad for renters now (luckily we don't rent). It's more affordable to buy a house here, at least outside the city. The company I work for also has offices in Dublin but salaries not much higher there, so we're better off living here and have enough cash to drive to Dublin every weekend if we wish. Unfortunately moving abroad is not always a solution either. Have a friend in Munich and she said that you often have 40-50 couples looking at the same flat. You basically have to bring your CV and the estate agents/landlords push prices up all the time.
I have given up on it. I have left Dublin and Ireland as a whole, given up a career in a multinational IT company, simply because of the rental issue. Shared housing is no longer a choice at my age. Everybody in the office was sharing a place, Dublin often appears to be Europe's biggest shared housing....

If I'd live in Ireland, it would only be Dublin to me, for reasons of ease of access, airport and the most direct flights to where I wanted to go. Galway or Cork or Limerick just wouldn't fit me, too small, often too rural, too far away from where I want to be, even though the "Wild Atlantic Way" can be a very beautiful scenery, but it's just that to me, a scenery, nothing more.

Ireland is a lovely country, I must admit, however, I suggest to anybody interested in Ireland, to try to wait a while, and try to consider Ireland in two or three years time, depending on housing.

And yes, you're correct, Munich in Germany can be a similar experience regarding property hunting, however the quality is often better, same as tenants rights.

It is beyond imagination that Dublin want's to bee seen as a possible economy benefactor of Brexit-Britain, as there is simply no housing, no matter what your salary. Even if one is used to life and the cultural aspect of a city like London, one would not be comfortable sharing accommodation in a small city the size of Manchester. That's the unfortunate and shocking part of Dublin.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Sep 26th 2017 at 9:35 am.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I have given up on it. I have left Dublin and Ireland as a whole, given up a career in a multinational IT company, simply because of the rental issue. Shared housing is no longer a choice at my age. Everybody in the office was sharing a place, Dublin often appears to be Europe's biggest shared housing....

If I'd live in Ireland, it would only be Dublin to me, for reasons of ease of access, airport and the most direct flights to where I wanted to go. Galway or Cork or Limerick just wouldn't fit me, too small, often too rural, too far away from where I want to be, even though the "Wild Atlantic Way" can be a very beautiful scenery, but it's just that to me, a scenery, nothing more.

Ireland is a lovely country, I must admit, however, I suggest to anybody interested in Ireland, to try to wait a while, and try to consider Ireland in two or three years time, depending on housing.

And yes, you're correct, Munich in Germany can be a similar experience regarding property hunting, however the quality is often better, same as tenants rights.

It is beyond imagination that Dublin want's to bee seen as a possible economy benefactor of Brexit-Britain, as there is simply no housing, no matter what your salary. Even if one is used to life and the cultural aspect of a city like London, one would not be comfortable sharing accommodation in a small city the size of Manchester. That's the unfortunate and shocking part of Dublin.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. While it might be shocking for you, that's what most people experience in many capitals these days (regardless of size). Some people have great salaries in Dublin and others don't, just like anywhere. A friends cousin just moved over to Dublin from the US and was impressed how cheap rental was. Works in IT and can rent a 3 bed house, while back in the US he was only able to afford a small 1 bed flat and had less cash left over at the end of the month. I'm always shocked when peoples weekly rent in Auckland is our mortgage in a month.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. While it might be shocking for you, that's what most people experience in many capitals these days (regardless of size). Some people have great salaries in Dublin and others don't, just like anywhere. A friends cousin just moved over to Dublin from the US and was impressed how cheap rental was. Works in IT and can rent a 3 bed house, while back in the US he was only able to afford a small 1 bed flat and had less cash left over at the end of the month. I'm always shocked when peoples weekly rent in Auckland is our mortgage in a month.
I have described the situation in Dublin, you appear to be in Galway. Things might be more relaxed in Galway regarding housing.

What I found appalling was that I was to queue with 30 to 40 people prior to any given viewing. I've never seen this before, not even in London UK.

Regarding comparing, it all depends, and the US is a big country. If you compare Dublin with San Francisco, then I'd say, I would agree.

What Ireland doesn't seem to have, or not to have yet, are "US or Canadian-style" property taxes. Also the annual service fees for apartments in Dublin are considerably lower than in many North-American cities. Also utility bills seem cheaper in Ireland than in Canada, even though a lot of Irish might not agree on this.

Most apartments in Dublin come fully furnished, which is a bit rare compared to Canada, plus in Ireland the furnishing also comes with a kitchen and a washing machine.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Oct 26th 2017 at 8:02 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Local Property Tax ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_...y_tax_(Ireland)
Old Oct 27th 2017, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scot47
Yes, but it's not the same, also regarding the amount to be paid.

For a property of the value of 500 K in Canada, you're looking more at 3000 to 4000 dollars, Canadian a year.

In Ireland, you'd be looking at around 500 to 600 Euros a year.

However I think that LPT is frozen hat the moment in Ireland. Until 2019? or so?
Old Oct 31st 2017, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have described the situation in Dublin, you appear to be in Galway. Things might be more relaxed in Galway regarding housing.

What I found appalling was that I was to queue with 30 to 40 people prior to any given viewing. I've never seen this before, not even in London UK.

Regarding comparing, it all depends, and the US is a big country. If you compare Dublin with San Francisco, then I'd say, I would agree.

What Ireland doesn't seem to have, or not to have yet, are "US or Canadian-style" property taxes. Also the annual service fees for apartments in Dublin are considerably lower than in many North-American cities. Also utility bills seem cheaper in Ireland than in Canada, even though a lot of Irish might not agree on this.

Most apartments in Dublin come fully furnished, which is a bit rare compared to Canada, plus in Ireland the furnishing also comes with a kitchen and a washing machine.

Well I've heard from people in London who struggle too. The point is that every location, situation is different regardless of population size. Some people in St Helier struggle more than in London for example. Yes in Galway myself but rental market is bad here too. One issue is that more people want to live in the city and there's only so much space available in the city but they don't want apartments either. Other issue around (outside) Galway is that house owners have more space than they need and it's hard to actually rezone due to the way properties are built on that land. Most of the properties are minimum on 0.5 acres + the house is in the middle of the plot. I'd happily downsize or sell parts of the land but it's just not possible. Renting is also very new here compared to Germany where renting was always normal. Most people in Germany rent and have to buy their own kitchen but tell that to someone here and they'll think you're mad. It's also a cultural thing it seems.

Last edited by Moses2013; Oct 31st 2017 at 11:51 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Take a look at this link:

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/201...t-the-figures/

"One property in Dublin visited by RTÉ housed 40 tenants across ten bedrooms. During RTÉ's investigation, an extension at the rear of the premises at Old County Road in Crumlin was added - it housed an additional 24 people."

or

"23 people, one shower - rental overcrowding in figures "

It seems completely pointless to consider Dublin as this point as the housing situation is so bad. Maybe things change in a couple of years. It may be a choice for others, but it certainly isn't me.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

There is another one:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...life-1.3292814

"Dublin has been rated one of the worst cities in the world to emigrate to due to the lack of affordable housing and high cost of living."

"Further analysis of the housing sub-section revealed that almost nine in ten expats in Dublin found local accommodation unaffordable — more than twice the global average. The other big gripe for foreigners who have moved to Dublin is their financial situation, with almost half complaining that they don’t make enough to make ends meet."

That was exactly my experience I had, when I was there.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There is another one:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...life-1.3292814

"Dublin has been rated one of the worst cities in the world to emigrate to due to the lack of affordable housing and high cost of living."

"Further analysis of the housing sub-section revealed that almost nine in ten expats in Dublin found local accommodation unaffordable — more than twice the global average. The other big gripe for foreigners who have moved to Dublin is their financial situation, with almost half complaining that they don’t make enough to make ends meet."

That was exactly my experience I had, when I was there.

I wouldn't give much on a survey that comes from a Munich based company called InterNations:-) . For example Madrid number 3?? Yes this is what you get for your money, 34m2 no balcony.( https://www.fotocasa.es/vivienda/mad...&tti=1&opi=300 and crap salaries.
And Amsterdam has one of the worst housing situations in Europe but again you can commute. At the end of the day it's all relative and some places work out better than others for each individual. I wouldn't want to live in any of those cities (including Dublin) and certainly not Manama. Try to emigrate to Manama as a shop assistant or office administrator. Certainly not many options for Europeans.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

I wouldn't give much on a survey that comes from a Munich based company called InterNations:-) . For example Madrid number 3?? Yes this is what you get for your money, 34m2 no balcony.( https://www.fotocasa.es/vivienda/mad...&tti=1&opi=300 and crap salaries.
And Amsterdam has one of the worst housing situations in Europe but again you can commute. At the end of the day it's all relative and some places work out better than others for each individual. I wouldn't want to live in any of those cities (including Dublin) and certainly not Manama. Try to emigrate to Manama as a shop assistant or office administrator. Certainly not many options for Europeans.
I was just sharing experiences regarding the Dublin rental market. I may not have seen or experienced other cities that much, but Dublin was shocking to me.

Dublin is a very very beautiful city, but housing and renting is at the moment a real no go. I hope this will change in a couple of years, but am not certain.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...owth-1.3327866