Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Random Q's/musings on a move to Ireland...

Random Q's/musings on a move to Ireland...

Old Aug 5th 2010, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

snoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant future
Default Re: Random Q's/musings on a move to Ireland...

[QUOTE=MikeWaters;8755385]Snoopycat is right about quite a few things: health, Irish TV channels and internet access in rural areas. However, I don't agree with the picture of an ultra-right Catholic society that excludes outsiders. While Catholicism is still the official religion of the majority, many, especially younger people, do not even practice. Those who do, largely keep their views and morals to themselves and certainly do not try to impose them on others. I do admit, however, that this is considerably at variance with the Ireland of 30 years ago.]

Generally, Irish people are friendly and talkative, and will happily welcome you into their community. I have never heard of outsiders being ignored or excluded.

Hi, In answer to Mike's views above, I wouldn't want to imply that there is still a 'ultra-right Catholic society' in operation. Quite simply, outside of the cities, there is still a sizeable group of church goers, and as a result many local issues are advertised and aired at Sunday Mass. We lived 300 yards from the local church but we still missed out on local events unless our church going neighbours passed on the information.

As regards the friendliness of the local people, I wouldn't argue with that. In many smaller communities, you would meet neighbours on the lane and have long friendly chats with them, but they rarely invited you into their homes. The invite would come when they were having their biennial Station. This would be a Mass organised in their house, which would have been redecorated from top to bottom for the occasion and all the neighbours would be invited.

Snoopycat.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

aseasyas123 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=snoopycat;8755789]
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Snoopycat is right about quite a few things: health, Irish TV channels and internet access in rural areas. However, I don't agree with the picture of an ultra-right Catholic society that excludes outsiders. While Catholicism is still the official religion of the majority, many, especially younger people, do not even practice. Those who do, largely keep their views and morals to themselves and certainly do not try to impose them on others. I do admit, however, that this is considerably at variance with the Ireland of 30 years ago.]

Generally, Irish people are friendly and talkative, and will happily welcome you into their community. I have never heard of outsiders being ignored or excluded.

Hi, In answer to Mike's views above, I wouldn't want to imply that there is still a 'ultra-right Catholic society' in operation. Quite simply, outside of the cities, there is still a sizeable group of church goers, and as a result many local issues are advertised and aired at Sunday Mass. We lived 300 yards from the local church but we still missed out on local events unless our church going neighbours passed on the information.

As regards the friendliness of the local people, I wouldn't argue with that. In many smaller communities, you would meet neighbours on the lane and have long friendly chats with them, but they rarely invited you into their homes. The invite would come when they were having their biennial Station. This would be a Mass organised in their house, which would have been redecorated from top to bottom for the occasion and all the neighbours would be invited.

Snoopycat.
Sky TV was mentioned - is that basically the same as Sky in the UK? American programming, etc?
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Sky Digital was...maybe still is.... a digital TV service which provided a range of programmes, like 200 or so of them, which varied enormously in quality. It was a subsidiary of Sky TV channel, I imagine, but the alternative was BBC/UTV/Channel 4 in certain urban areas, and a choice of RTE 1 & 2, TV3 and TnG (Irish language, which showed some good English language movies from time to time) in the rest of the country. So, you paid your money (a good deal of it) and you took your choice.

Glad you clarified that one Snoopy, I do agree that in rural areas far too many things centered on the church. And the 'Stations'...now there's a memory! I remember my parents having it twice while I was a child, in two different houses, and on the latter occasion I availed of all the free liquor laid on for after the mass. Suffice to say, matters ecumenical were not on my mind, and by the time the last prayers were said, one or two bottles of the stronger stuff had already seen active service.

Then there was the altar wine ........ ;-/
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:53 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=aseasyas123;8755864]
Originally Posted by snoopycat
Sky TV was mentioned - is that basically the same as Sky in the UK? American programming, etc?
It is the same. The channels are in different order but its the same Sky.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Brucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really nice

Dublin, Cork, Galway, in that order. If Sushi is nb, Dublin. Technology is easily sourced online. Dublin is probably bt for you.

Religion isn't an issue anymore in Ireland, in fact its on its knees with all the reen scandals. Sure there are pockets where this isn't the case, but generally speaking people dont care what your thoughts are religion wise.

Sushi in Dublin not a problem.

Dublin to Hollyhead everyday, no issue. Choice of sailings, fast crossings etc.
New service Dublin to pembroke. Also Dublin to Liverpool. Larne in Co Down to Stranrar in Scotland. From 3 to 6 hour cossings.

Dont know those bookstores in US but Ireland has three main chains, Hodge AND Figgis, Waterstones AND Easons with the first 2 having prticularly large stores in central Dublin.

TV. gET Sky digital about 30 euro a month for basic package, up to u after that what u add on. Ireland has the european HQs for Google, EBay etc so plenty of tech heads about. Broadband in Ireland is not what it should be but getting a 3 - 5 mb link in Dublin wont be a problem.

Private health insurance 500 to 1200 a year, plenty of private hospitals, clinics etc. Despite the chaotic state of the health system ou wont die over here.

Food up to UK std organic wise, shouldn't be a prolem especially in Dublin, anyway ewry is only 90 mins north of Dublin with sainsburys, tescos etc if your not happy but u will be.

Fantastic time to move to Dublin, property prices have collapsed (50%), esp in Dublin so fantastic time to buy. One tip, buy a car before you come over, dearer here. Must own it for 6 months abroad I think. As for Cuisine, Ireland is a good as anywhere, especially Dublin. Having dined allover Europe, I'd say its better, just look in the right places.

Best of look
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:03 am
Just Joined

I would agree with Brucey on a number of points:

Cars are astronomical in Ireland if bought new or nearly new, although good bargains can be had in older vehicles, or at least could in the past. And, if you live outside of the main cities, a car is a necessity as rural public transport isn't great, due mainly to sparse population.

Dublin is as good as anywhere in Europe if you want to eat out, in terms of choice and quality. However, there's no native cuisine in Ireland as there is in France, Italy, Spain, Turkey etc. But then, neither is there, really, in the UK, and that doesn't stop London being so good! Prices in Ireland...well now, ahem!

Public health is not what you'd expect in a developed western country, but there are quite a few smaller, private hospitals and clinics which are top notch.

The whole Catholic thing really isn't an issue any more - apart from Snoopy's earlier point that in rural areas the only real means of community communication is the local church on Sundays. But that really only does apply in isolated districts.

Cross channel crossings are not a problem at all, tho I know nothing about price.

From what I hear, broadband internet speed sucks for a modern, technological society, especially away from major cities.

Generally, Ireland is a modern, cosmopolitan country where you can get anything you want..except maybe sunshine!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MikeWaters;8760735]I would agree with Brucey on a number of points:

Dublin is as good as anywhere in Europe if you want to eat out, in terms of choice and quality. However, there's no native cuisine in Ireland as there is in France, Italy, Spain, Turkey etc.

Public health is not what you'd expect in a developed western country, but there are quite a few smaller, private hospitals and clinics which are top notch.

The whole Catholic thing really isn't an issue any more - apart from Snoopy's earlier point that in rural areas the only real means of community communication is the local church on Sundays. But that really only does apply in isolated districts.

Hey, what do you mean there is no native cuisine in Ireland..

lol what about Bacon n Cabbage

No the catholic thing isn't really an issue anymore, thats why you still have to go to the UK or wherever for abortions....
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

No the catholic thing isn't really an issue anymore, thats why you still have to go to the UK or wherever for abortions....
Really? I haven't set foot in the oul' sod for 5 years, haven't lived there for nearly a decade, and I assumed things had changed.

Naive of me, I suppose! Personally, I don't approve of abortion on demand, but that's beside the point. I do agree that in certain circumstances...as discussed during all those referendum debates that raged over 2 decades in Ireland...it is permissible. More to the point, I do recall reading some years ago that Ireland had one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in Europe, many of them unwanted. For a country with a strong religious ethos, why is this the case? Isn't there something wrong somewhere?

Who remembers Anne Lovett, that teenager in Longford whose pregnancy went unnoticed for nine months? And the Kerry Babies case?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MikeWaters;8764541]Really? I haven't set foot in the oul' sod for 5 years, haven't lived there for nearly a decade, and I assumed things had changed.

More to the point, I do recall reading some years ago that Ireland had one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in Europe, many of them unwanted.

Horny Husseys
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:09 am
Just Joined

The 'Horny Husseys'? Ah, I knew the Hussey family well, lived just down the road from us. Lovely girls, very...er, friendly and...ahem, sociable!

Used to go away a lot for a few days at a time, UK I think.

A few years ago, just after I'd left, I heard one of them was looking for me, needed to see me about something. Never caught up with her, tho.

Last edited by MikeWaters; Aug 10th 2010 at 11:34 am.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

The 'Horny Husseys'? Ah, I knew the Hussey family well, lived just down the road from us. Lovely girls, very...er, friendly and...ahem, sociable!

A few years ago, just after I'd left, I heard one of them was looking for me, needed to see me about something. Never caught up with her, tho.
ha ha I heard that the UK is now, not the preferred destination for a few days.....

You didn't reply to my Irish Cuisine post... You been away too long I think...
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

are these Husseys any relation to the Horneys? I knew the Horneys well having done time in submarines with them...lovely people. Salt of the earth,give you their last penny,share everything. Or was that the Husseys? Alzheimers kicking in.....
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:45 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
are these Husseys any relation to the Horneys? I knew the Horneys well having done time in submarines with them...lovely people. Salt of the earth,give you their last penny,share everything. Or was that the Husseys? Alzheimers kicking in.....
I went to school with Al Zheimers, i think.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I went to school with Al Zheimers, i think.
and he had a beautiful sister,very giving if you know what I mean....Di Mentia.....
Old Aug 11th 2010, 12:16 pm
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
and he had a beautiful sister,very giving if you know what I mean....Di Mentia.....
Funny you mention her i went to school with her brother Al Zheimers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.