Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Northern Ireland v Republic

Northern Ireland v Republic

Old Oct 14th 2016, 11:12 am
Banned

EndaKenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Northern Ireland v Republic

With the £ losing its value against the Euro I decided to head North to Belfast for a few days and take advantage of it. I saved 1200 Euro buying a new Rolex Submariner as a result. UK prices are much better than the Republic anyway, but with the exchange rate it was even better. Compared to Dublin, Belfast is better all things considered. Free NHS compared to the rip-off health insurance in Ireland; not to mention excellent hospitals.
I had enjoyable tour of the Titanic Exhibition Centre; and would highly recommend it.
What I noticed more than anything; was the high level of customer service in; bars, cafes, restaurants, compared to Dublin. There is a positivity compared to the negativity of Dublin staff. Generally people seemed happier and more forward-thinking rather than moaning about the present or past.
Although I live in Dalkey, and am insulated from the worst of Dublin; I would prefer to live in Belfast than Dublin city centre. It really is better value, with a better quality of life.
Other positives were a noticeable lack of junkies, beggars, and Eastern Europeans. In Dublin one gets used to seeing junkies and Roma beggars etc.
But Belfast seemed so much cleaner, with less street litter.
Don't get me wrong, it isn't utopia; but the strong UK work ethic and customer service levels were light years ahead of Dublin.
I decided to get the train up rather than drive, so I could enjoy a nice bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape with my partner. Parts of the journey were quite scenic. We were in first class of course, but even the economy carriages looked quite clean with plenty of spare seats.
The other thing is the property prices in Belfast are much keener than rip-off Dublin. If I was emigrating I would strongly consider Belfast over Dublin all things considered.
Dublin is over hyped in my opinion, certainly living in the city is abhorrent. Full of tourists and immigrants; its the same as living in any capital city such as London. Yes, there are some immigrants and tourists in Belfast, but the disturbance is kept to a minimum.
Other benefits are cheaper cars with no VRT to pay. Cheaper motor tax, cheaper insurance. And UK shopping prices of course.
So I would suggest anyone thinking of emigrating to Dublin to also visit Belfast and consider it as a more viable option.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern Ireland v Republic

Originally Posted by EndaKenny
With the £ losing its value against the Euro I decided to head North to Belfast for a few days and take advantage of it. I saved 1200 Euro buying a new Rolex Submariner as a result. UK prices are much better than the Republic anyway, but with the exchange rate it was even better. Compared to Dublin, Belfast is better all things considered. Free NHS compared to the rip-off health insurance in Ireland; not to mention excellent hospitals.
I had enjoyable tour of the Titanic Exhibition Centre; and would highly recommend it.
What I noticed more than anything; was the high level of customer service in; bars, cafes, restaurants, compared to Dublin. There is a positivity compared to the negativity of Dublin staff. Generally people seemed happier and more forward-thinking rather than moaning about the present or past.
Although I live in Dalkey, and am insulated from the worst of Dublin; I would prefer to live in Belfast than Dublin city centre. It really is better value, with a better quality of life.
Other positives were a noticeable lack of junkies, beggars, and Eastern Europeans. In Dublin one gets used to seeing junkies and Roma beggars etc.
But Belfast seemed so much cleaner, with less street litter.
Don't get me wrong, it isn't utopia; but the strong UK work ethic and customer service levels were light years ahead of Dublin.
I decided to get the train up rather than drive, so I could enjoy a nice bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape with my partner. Parts of the journey were quite scenic. We were in first class of course, but even the economy carriages looked quite clean with plenty of spare seats.
The other thing is the property prices in Belfast are much keener than rip-off Dublin. If I was emigrating I would strongly consider Belfast over Dublin all things considered.
Dublin is over hyped in my opinion, certainly living in the city is abhorrent. Full of tourists and immigrants; its the same as living in any capital city such as London. Yes, there are some immigrants and tourists in Belfast, but the disturbance is kept to a minimum.
Other benefits are cheaper cars with no VRT to pay. Cheaper motor tax, cheaper insurance. And UK shopping prices of course.
So I would suggest anyone thinking of emigrating to Dublin to also visit Belfast and consider it as a more viable option.
Funny, the other day when I mentioned why don't you move to the UK you said you wouldn't because there are far more EE in the UK than here. You say "Generally people seemed happier and more forward-thinking rather than moaning about the present or past". OK.

Belfast is a great city but I doubt you'd fit in.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 12:09 pm
Banned

EndaKenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Northern Ireland v Republic

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Funny, the other day when I mentioned why don't you move to the UK you said you wouldn't because there are far more EE in the UK than here. You say "Generally people seemed happier and more forward-thinking rather than moaning about the present or past". OK.

Belfast is a great city but I doubt you'd fit in.
UK population is 65M. Ireland population is 4.7M
Therefore there are more Eastern Europeans in UK than Ireland. Fact.
So I was correct.
Northern Ireland is 1.8M therefore has less Eastern Europeans than Ireland 4.7M. Fact.
I was referring to Britain having more Eastern Europeans then Ireland, and therefore I would prefer to live in Ireland as a result. My observation being, that Ireland is fast becoming more multicultural like the UK currently is.
Sadly I have to break all this down to a simpler level that you can comprehend. Others with have got the point the first time round. Mind you, English is their first language. Or maybe they are just more intelligent.
It also has less Eastern Europeans than the rest of the UK. Fact.
You are in no position to judge whether I would fit in, in Belfast or not.