Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

A new business in Dublin ?

A new business in Dublin ?

Old Nov 5th 2010, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Kalign is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A new business in Dublin ?

I`m a British guy who is thinking of moving to Dublin (from Japan) to start a shiatsu clinic. With the economy in its present condition is this a crazy idea ?
I also teach English as a second language so that might be another way to earn money if clients are thin on the ground.
Any advice people can give would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 1:52 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A new business in Dublin ?

Hi Kalign and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Ireland can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

I can't answer your question specifically of course but I have started up two small businesses in a very small town in Oz....filling the gaps in local services. Placement is the key I think. Good luck to you.

I'm sure someone with more advice will be along soo.

Enjoy B.E.

Alistair.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi Alistair,

Thanks for your quick reply and kind advice. If people need advice about living in Japan and Canada then I can help out.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

CeeGee is just really niceCeeGee is just really niceCeeGee is just really niceCeeGee is just really niceCeeGee is just really niceCeeGee is just really niceCeeGee is just really niceCeeGee is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kalign
I`m a British guy who is thinking of moving to Dublin (from Japan) to start a shiatsu clinic. With the economy in its present condition is this a crazy idea ?
I also teach English as a second language so that might be another way to earn money if clients are thin on the ground.
Any advice people can give would be much appreciated.
Hi Kalign
I am new to this forum myself. Living in Ireland at the moment having returned from Perth.
When I took the kids swimming lessons the other day I got talking to a lady who had a practice doing alternative therapies and she was saying although her business is about a third down from the peak she is still very busy.
She had just transferred from a premises to working from home which could be an option to think about as if you have cash there are certainly some bargains to be had on the property market.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CeeGee
Hi Kalign
I am new to this forum myself. Living in Ireland at the moment having returned from Perth.
When I took the kids swimming lessons the other day I got talking to a lady who had a practice doing alternative therapies and she was saying although her business is about a third down from the peak she is still very busy.
She had just transferred from a premises to working from home which could be an option to think about as if you have cash there are certainly some bargains to be had on the property market.
Hi Alistair,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. The info you`ve given me is a great help.
I don`t have the cash yet to buy a property but working from home certainly saves on overheads.

Kevin
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:44 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alistair,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. The info you`ve given me is a great help.
I don`t have the cash yet to buy a property but working from home certainly saves on overheads.

Kevin
Allo Kevin.

I would put anyone off coming here right now. The country is in a right old two and eight, as we say in London. The government are just about to start doing a marathon tap dance, with a hat, outside the Dáil looking for 6 billion.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Allo Kevin.

I would put anyone off coming here right now. The country is in a right old two and eight, as we say in London. The government are just about to start doing a marathon tap dance, with a hat, outside the Dáil looking for 6 billion.
Hi Londonuck.

It seems like almost everywhere`s in a state. What`s a guy to do ? All the governments want more and more of our money.
Oh well, thanks anyway for the advice.

Kevin
Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

CeeGee is just really niceCeeGee is just really niceCeeGee is just really niceCeeGee is just really niceCeeGee is just really niceCeeGee is just really niceCeeGee is just really niceCeeGee is just really nice

Hi Londonuck.

It seems like almost everywhere`s in a state. What`s a guy to do ? All the governments want more and more of our money.
Oh well, thanks anyway for the advice.

Kevin
we moved back from Australia due to it being too expensive although we really liked it. My wife is a nurse and started work nearly straight away.
We bought a house for a very good price , which I am modernising at the moment and I haven't really tried to look for work but have a couple of interviews lined up.
The shops , restaurants , bars etc all seem very busy to me so if you want to give it a try I say go for it.
Weather not so good at the moment though.
As I said in my previous post , the lady I was speaking to who did alternative therapies said she was busy enough , everyone I know personally don't seem to be suffering too much. If you find a niche in the market then there is no reason why you shouldn't be OK.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 3:42 am
Just Joined

we moved back from Australia due to it being too expensive although we really liked it. My wife is a nurse and started work nearly straight away.
We bought a house for a very good price , which I am modernising at the moment and I haven't really tried to look for work but have a couple of interviews lined up.
The shops , restaurants , bars etc all seem very busy to me so if you want to give it a try I say go for it.
As I said in my previous post , the lady I was speaking to who did alternative therapies said she was busy enough , everyone I know personally don't seem to be suffering too much. If you find a niche in the market then there is no reason why you shouldn't be OK.
This info is good to know. I guess in the end, as you said, we should just go for it.
Thanks as always,

Kevin
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:18 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Niche would be my worry here. People are so traditional in their ways. Lots of my cousins (all Dublin) are currenty unemployed after being laid off. They work in very wide variety of professions.

I worked as an artworker in newspapers, mags and ad agencies. I havent worked in that line since i arrived, 2.5 years back. I ended up getting a cab but so did everyone else. I think i even saw Cowan driving one down Kildare St one night.

Having said that, since moving to the west coast my wife is doing really well offering SEO copywriting for websites. Me, ive retrained setting up websites and i had to go to England to do it seeing as FAS and all the other unemployment/job seekers agencies refused to help me here.

Good luck though, he who dares wins! (Delboy circa 1983)
Old Nov 12th 2010, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Niche would be my worry here. People are so traditional in their ways. Lots of my cousins (all Dublin) are currenty unemployed after being laid off. They work in very wide variety of professions.

I worked as an artworker in newspapers, mags and ad agencies. I havent worked in that line since i arrived, 2.5 years back. I ended up getting a cab but so did everyone else. I think i even saw Cowan driving one down Kildare St one night.

Having said that, since moving to the west coast my wife is doing really well offering SEO copywriting for websites. Me, ive retrained setting up websites and i had to go to England to do it seeing as FAS and all the other unemployment/job seekers agencies refused to help me here.

Good luck though, he who dares wins! (Delboy circa 1983)
Things don`t sound too bad for you and your wife.
Fortune does indeed belong to the brave.

Thanks for wishing me good luck.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Don't live in Ireland personally but my wife is Irish and we have family and friends there.

I don't think the worst has hit yet and there is a lot more pain to come. A budget announcement is due in a couple of weeks I think and belts will become a hell of a lot tighter. In fact about as tight as Brian Cowen's.

It would be a huge gamble to put a lot of money into it. But if your set up costs are low then maybe you could give it a go.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steen1976
Don't live in Ireland personally but my wife is Irish and we have family and friends there.

I don't think the worst has hit yet and there is a lot more pain to come. A budget announcement is due in a couple of weeks I think and belts will become a hell of a lot tighter. In fact about as tight as Brian Cowen's.

It would be a huge gamble to put a lot of money into it. But if your set up costs are low then maybe you could give it a go.
Thanks for your advice. I`ve heard that things will no doubt get worse, however my set up costs are very low.
The budget will certainly be interesting.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:51 am
Éireann go Brách

Thanks for your advice. I`ve heard that things will no doubt get worse, however my set up costs are very low.
The budget will certainly be interesting.
FF set for shock win in Drogheda. Beggars belief!
Old Nov 24th 2010, 7:08 am
Éireann go Brách

FF set for shock win in Drogheda. Beggars belief!
Opps, i should of said Donegal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.