Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

My experience of moving to Cork

My experience of moving to Cork

Old Dec 19th 2011, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Eleaya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My experience of moving to Cork

Thankyou for all the replies. My husband and i do not intend to claim any benefits, except maybe child benefit, which i think we are entitled to anyway.

Dublin is out of the question. I am set on Cork, from what i have read it's a much better place to live than Dublin.

We should not experience any racism as we are white, at least that is my thinking as i never experienced anything like that in England. I hope this comment hasn't offended anyone, it was not my intention at all.

There seem to be many job prospects in Cork, especially for my husband, he can get a job there before we leave with one of the many multilingual companies. I have checked out the jobs for a health care worker and there seems to be a fair bit and most do not require experience, so i am assuming they are quite desperate for people.

I don't see gettitng a job being a problem, we are not fussy. As i said before, i really need to know what the cost of living is and if, what we will be earining will be enough.

I was looking at house rent for 600 euro a month, in one of the outer towns. I need to know what other things cost though, like daycare/nursery for my baby, car taxes and insurance (we both have clean drivers, and both over 25), bus tickets, cost of food at the local tesco's, water/gas/lights, sky and broadband, all that kind of thing.

I have checked comments from other people but they don't seem to have the answers i am looking for. Thanks for any further responses.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 7:01 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Eleaya
Thankyou for all the replies. My husband and i do not intend to claim any benefits, except maybe child benefit, which i think we are entitled to anyway.

Dublin is out of the question. I am set on Cork, from what i have read it's a much better place to live than Dublin.

We should not experience any racism as we are white, at least that is my thinking as i never experienced anything like that in England. I hope this comment hasn't offended anyone, it was not my intention at all.

There seem to be many job prospects in Cork, especially for my husband, he can get a job there before we leave with one of the many multilingual companies. I have checked out the jobs for a health care worker and there seems to be a fair bit and most do not require experience, so i am assuming they are quite desperate for people.

I don't see gettitng a job being a problem, we are not fussy. As i said before, i really need to know what the cost of living is and if, what we will be earining will be enough.

I was looking at house rent for 600 euro a month, in one of the outer towns. I need to know what other things cost though, like daycare/nursery for my baby, car taxes and insurance (we both have clean drivers, and both over 25), bus tickets, cost of food at the local tesco's, water/gas/lights, sky and broadband, all that kind of thing.

I have checked comments from other people but they don't seem to have the answers i am looking for. Thanks for any further responses.
Irish people are not just racist against black people. They are racist against all immigrants. Cork is called the rebel county. Take my word for it, Cork is not friendly to immigrants.
Car Insurance: 1200 Euro each.
Car tax for a 3 litre car: 1500 Euro per year. 2 litre car: 600 Euro per year.
Local bus ticket: 5 Euro return.
Water: No charge (yet!)
Gas for 2 bedroom house: 50 Euro per month. (Usually heating oil or electric though).
Electric: 50 Euro per month.
Tesco weekly shop: 120 Euro.
Sky: 30 Euro per month.
Broadband: 20 Euro per month.
Day care: 40 Euro per day.
Typical costs based on couple with a young child.
There is no free national health service in Ireland. You will need health insurance: 1200 Euro per year for a family.
A GP visit alone is 50 Euro.

Last edited by Joe-Soap; Dec 19th 2011 at 7:06 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

If you think there's no racism in Ireland just because you're white ask the Poles & Lithuanians how they find it. I'm afraid that's a very South African attitude.

Dublin may be out of the question as far as you're concerned but they are much more liberal and accepting there with a higher number of immigrants and immigrant communities.

To add to Seans list fuel is €1.51 a litre.
If the house you rent has Oil powered heating and hot water you can add roughly €1 per litre when you order that - that's right not all houses in Ireland are on mains gas. This is going up in February when the government slaps more VAT on it. You can also get Calor gas in a tank - no idea how much that costs.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 8:51 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Horus
If you think there's no racism in Ireland just because you're white ask the Poles & Lithuanians how they find it. I'm afraid that's a very South African attitude.

Dublin may be out of the question as far as you're concerned but they are much more liberal and accepting there with a higher number of immigrants and immigrant communities.

To add to Seans list fuel is €1.51 a litre.
If the house you rent has Oil powered heating and hot water you can add roughly €1 per litre when you order that - that's right not all houses in Ireland are on mains gas. This is going up in February when the government slaps more VAT on it. You can also get Calor gas in a tank - no idea how much that costs.
Sound advice.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

nolanger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
A GP visit alone is 50 Euro.
You can claim some of the medical fees back as tax refund.
Also: TV/dog licence and household charge.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 12:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by nolanger
You can claim some of the medical fees back as tax refund.
Also: TV/dog licence and household charge.
TV licence: 160 Euro per year (but few bother with one though).
Dog licence: ? (You would probably need one for the women in Cork though).
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

mountainmomma is an unknown quantity at this point

So how well are Americans accepted in Cork? My husband is considering a transfer. We have been living in Switzerland & a fair percentage of people here seem less than happy to have us in their midst. Being at least accepted is hugely important to me now.

I've spent a month in Cork & just loved the city & found people to be more reserved than Dubliners, but friendly. But this was as a tourist. I read some posts here that worried me a bit.

Are there particular areas we should consider? I drive & don't enjoy central city living. I liked Douglas, what other suburban areas are good for a young child & dogs? Will it be easy to rent a detached house with a yard and dogs?
Old Dec 24th 2011, 8:11 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mountainmomma
So how well are Americans accepted in Cork? My husband is considering a transfer. We have been living in Switzerland & a fair percentage of people here seem less than happy to have us in their midst. Being at least accepted is hugely important to me now.

I've spent a month in Cork & just loved the city & found people to be more reserved than Dubliners, but friendly. But this was as a tourist. I read some posts here that worried me a bit.

Are there particular areas we should consider? I drive & don't enjoy central city living. I liked Douglas, what other suburban areas are good for a young child & dogs? Will it be easy to rent a detached house with a yard and dogs?
Hi Mountainmomma,

I don't know whether the Cork people would welcome you any more or any less for being American - of course that would also depend on what colour American you were. You will be regarded as a "blow in" and you won't be accepted as a local for around two generations.

Don't know Cork too well, but am sure someone here will be able to advise you of the best areas to live. It should be easy to rent a detached house with a yard, look at www.daft.ie You may have to get your own dogs as we don't rent out dogs here.

Regards
Old Dec 24th 2011, 8:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mountainmomma

Generally Americans are not well accepted in Cork. Neither are any immigrants. Cork may be the second largest city in Ireland, but it is by no means multi cultural. Dublin is more mixed and cosmopolitan in comparison, and therefore immigrants blend in. What doesn't help matters is the recession. In times of economic boom like the Celtic Tiger years 1994-2007; the Irish welcomed immigrants with open arms as they needed the cheap labour. In times of economic bust the Irish are more racist, and accuse the immigrants of taking the few jobs that are available. You will have no trouble finding somewhere to live around Cork city in one of the towns or villages. Due to the Celtic Tiger property boom, there is now an over supply of vacant property. The problem you will have is that the further out from the city you go, the less cosmopolitan the people are. Ireland's demographics are changing rapidaly with mass emigration, and extreme commuting (people travelling very long distances to work). This has eroded much of the community life in smaller towns and villages. You might live in a road and never see your neighbours as they are commuting very early and late to work 2 hours away. My advice would be to consider Dublin, as there are more Americans there; and its more multi cultural. You will find more employment prospects there, and there are more American companies like Google based there for example. Cork is known as the Rebel County. The name is apt.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 8:51 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know why any of you are interested if your accepted or not. Its not like they gonna form a posse and drive you outta town.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 9:16 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Don't know why any of you are interested if your accepted or not. Its not like they gonna form a posse and drive you outta town.
Many a true word said in jest.
I know some Irish that do just that. They have the blow in mentality where my Fathers family are from in Leitrim. My Uncle was born there, went to London in 1960 to work in the building industry. Came back in 2000, built a house and has lived there since. But even he was treated as an outsider by the people he went to school and grew up with! A lot of it is jealousy of the diaspora that left Ireland when it was broke and returned with money. The Irish can be amongst the most racist people I have ever met, even to their own people. They can make it very difficult for immigrants to get on in life. I saw it myself in the early 2000's when many Germans were buying property in Leitrim. There was a lot of animosity towards them from the Irish. Unsurprisingly very few of the German families settled as they were made to feel like outsiders by the local community.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 10:05 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Many a true word said in jest.
I know some Irish that do just that. They have the blow in mentality where my Fathers family are from in Leitrim. My Uncle was born there, went to London in 1960 to work in the building industry. Came back in 2000, built a house and has lived there since. But even he was treated as an outsider by the people he went to school and grew up with! A lot of it is jealousy of the diaspora that left Ireland when it was broke and returned with money. The Irish can be amongst the most racist people I have ever met, even to their own people. They can make it very difficult for immigrants to get on in life. I saw it myself in the early 2000's when many Germans were buying property in Leitrim. There was a lot of animosity towards them from the Irish. Unsurprisingly very few of the German families settled as they were made to feel like outsiders by the local community.
When i had the cab, football would come up quite early on and once they found out i support Millwall i never had any aggro... was weird.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 12:49 pm
Banned

When i had the cab, football would come up quite early on and once they found out i support Millwall i never had any aggro... was weird.
That made me laugh. Just don't tell Carlton Leach and the rest of the ICF that. Have you seen; The Football Factory? Or I.D?
There's only one Shadwell Army..
Two of my favourite films.
A lot of the key board warriors and Trolls on here wouldn't last 5 minutes on the terraces in the 1980's.

Last edited by Joe-Soap; Dec 24th 2011 at 12:56 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

Hello mate. Been looking at Iran and Iraq(sticking with countries with names beginning with "I") as some of the comments on here made me wonder!!! It can't be that bad,surely?(don't call me Shirley-the old 'uns are the best!!). Speaking as one who has moved every seven years(it takes that long for the neighbours to organise),it is long past my next move. Still hanging on in Spain but who knows, to paraphrase an old Jewish saying-"Next year in Ireland".
A happy xmas to you and yours mate,and hopefully a more prosperous new year.

Old Dec 24th 2011, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

That made me laugh. Just don't tell Carlton Leach and the rest of the ICF that. Have you seen; The Football Factory? Or I.D?
There's only one Shadwell Army..
Two of my favourite films.
A lot of the key board warriors and Trolls on here wouldn't last 5 minutes on the terraces in the 1980's.
Sean,what Londonuck didn't mention was that it wasn't fright which gripped his fare,it was laughter. Now if he had mentioned he was a follower of Manchester United,he would have been lauded. Keep up the good work mate.you give lots of good info and advice.
happy xmas and new year to you and yours.
"Next year in Ireland".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.