Just Joined

Clareden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from UK to Southern Ireland

Thanks alot
Old Jan 5th 2017, 9:36 am
Just Joined

shel64 is an unknown quantity at this point

In reality its not that easy to get a job, you would find zero hours, or short term contract, the hotel industry is the best shot, my 3 adult children have found employment ,2 after getting their masters, one had to work 6 month contract at a time in a call centre before finding a perminant job,the other had to go back to the uk,and one now has gone to Germany, they all rented privately even though they had kids, one eventually got housed in a council house this year after being on the list for 10 years and with 2 children, she really wanted to buy but couldn't get a mortgage. Cork is a good bet for work and accomodation, but find your employment first, when my children moved over they lived with me first as you dont get dole etc straight away, and if you qualify it takes forever to sort out, and you need something coming in in case you need the doctors, there is a time limit on how long you get free medical on arriving, if you get it at all, I hate to sound negative but please check everything out, and the best thing is to know someone here first to help you through your move,,
Old Jan 5th 2017, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shel64
In reality its not that easy to get a job, you would find zero hours, or short term contract, the hotel industry is the best shot, my 3 adult children have found employment ,2 after getting their masters, one had to work 6 month contract at a time in a call centre before finding a perminant job,the other had to go back to the uk,and one now has gone to Germany, they all rented privately even though they had kids, one eventually got housed in a council house this year after being on the list for 10 years and with 2 children, she really wanted to buy but couldn't get a mortgage. Cork is a good bet for work and accomodation, but find your employment first, when my children moved over they lived with me first as you dont get dole etc straight away, and if you qualify it takes forever to sort out, and you need something coming in in case you need the doctors, there is a time limit on how long you get free medical on arriving, if you get it at all, I hate to sound negative but please check everything out, and the best thing is to know someone here first to help you through your move,,

But where is it different and if we're honest it just depends what kind of work you do and want to do. I don't know anybody personally with zero hour work contract and it's still regulated if that was the case Contracts without specific working hours (zero-hours contracts)

Of course everyone should do their homework but in relation to work their is always work if you are willing to work (good and bad). Yes, you need to be close to city centres and if you have a master in teaching etc. their are only so many jobs available. But again the way the world is today. We have currently recruited people from abroad in IT because not enough applicants and a work colleagues sister from Germany is now coming over here to work as doctor, because back in Germany pay was terrible and no paid overtime. And some people will probably go the other way like your kids.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Janjacks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, I have been concidering moving to cork over from South Wales. I have done allot of reasearch online but I want some more information if anyone can help. I'll need full time work, I have 4-5 years Experience working as a sales person and a few years working behind a bar. What is the job market like in these sectors?. The job options aren't great In South Wales so I am not overly fussed. Also the property types to rent in the areas, isit only flats or houses? What is the average price for a One bed flat?. Is house share a option in cork? There are other questions but these are the two which are sticking out to me. Cheers
Old Jan 25th 2017, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janjacks
Hi everyone, I have been concidering moving to cork over from South Wales. I have done allot of reasearch online but I want some more information if anyone can help. I'll need full time work, I have 4-5 years Experience working as a sales person and a few years working behind a bar. What is the job market like in these sectors?. The job options aren't great In South Wales so I am not overly fussed. Also the property types to rent in the areas, isit only flats or houses? What is the average price for a One bed flat?. Is house share a option in cork? There are other questions but these are the two which are sticking out to me. Cheers
I know people who moved from Galway to Cork and they had no problems finding work. Check out the jobs here http://www.irishjobs.ie/ShowResults....cruiter=Agency

The rental market is crazy now and just not enough properties to rent in the cities:
According to Daft survey Cork has seen the biggest rise in average rent prices

Here’s a quick look at the average rent prices across our cities, including their percentage increase compared to a year ago:
  • €1,520: The average rent in Dublin (up 11.1%)
  • €1,051: The average rent in Cork (up 18.2%)
  • €932: The average rent in Galway (up 13.9%)
  • €829: The average rent in Limerick (up 15.5%)
  • €712: The average rent in Waterford (up 13.3%)
  • €736: The average for the rest of the country (up 9.7%)
Old Jan 25th 2017, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Janjacks is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply Galway is the location that mostly appeals to me personally but I read allot about it being mainly rural and may be harder to find work. My grandfather was originally from cork but he passed before I was born, But all I have heard is lovely things about Ireland.

Is it more difficult to come across work opportunities in Galway than cork?

Also, with accommodation should I sort a house/flat to rent before coming to Ireland or shall I look whilst there and transition from a hotel?.

The same goes for a job. Should I be looking for work from Wales or wait until I am in Ireland? What do you think is best. I'm not sure if I would even be concidered for work as I am not in Ireland yet. Cheers
Old Jan 26th 2017, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Janjacks
Thank you for your reply Galway is the location that mostly appeals to me personally but I read allot about it being mainly rural and may be harder to find work. My grandfather was originally from cork but he passed before I was born, But all I have heard is lovely things about Ireland.

Is it more difficult to come across work opportunities in Galway than cork?

Also, with accommodation should I sort a house/flat to rent before coming to Ireland or shall I look whilst there and transition from a hotel?.

The same goes for a job. Should I be looking for work from Wales or wait until I am in Ireland? What do you think is best. I'm not sure if I would even be concidered for work as I am not in Ireland yet. Cheers

I don't know why people would say that. If you look at Cork as a county it's no different to Galway as a county and most of the work is always in and around the cities. The challenges would be the same in the UK and if you want to live rural, you must be prepared to drive to work. If that's a problem you have to be prepared to pay more for rental but you're closer to the city:-).

Since I've been in Galway there are more jobs than before and tourism is huge here. This doesn't sound bad to me: https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-gaelta...-growth-areas/

It's always best to make your own impression and some locations just work out better than others for each individual.
Here a video

You can always try and contact agencies to see what they say. Send your CV, show interest and that your prepared to move but want to secure employment first. Then you can think about rental, maybe try short term lets first. Daft.ie - Property for sale and houses for sale or rent in Ireland