Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to Southern Ireland

Moving from UK to Southern Ireland

Old Aug 15th 2016, 12:30 am
Just Joined

jfitzer92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from UK to Southern Ireland

Hi.

Im wanting to move from the UK to Southern Ireland to start a new life and to start fresh. Now I'm not sure where to start as I'm renting a Council Flat and i need to find a place to live in Southern Ireland I'm wanting to live in Cork. Need some advice on where to start should i get a council rented apartment in cork? I also need to get a job. Could anyone give me some advice.

Thank You.

Jack.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Southern Ireland

firstly give us a little more info as to what type of job you are looking for - your qualifications etc. then maybe someone might be able to give you a few pointers. I presume you've spent time with something called Google?
Secondly , I doubt if you have any chance of getting any type of council accommodation in Cork , or anywhere else in Eire , especially if you are single.
Best bet is to save a few pennies then get over to Cork and look around. you can't beat being on the ground.

good luck in your search for a new life but be aware there are lots of hidden costs such as healthcare.
With more info the good folks here will likely offer you some more pertinent advice.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 1:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As a new arrival I doubt you would qualify immediately for public housing. Do they even have "council housing" in the Republic of Ireland?

What sort of work do you do, and what sort of work are you looking for in the Republic if Ireland?
Old Aug 15th 2016, 1:28 am
Just Joined

I have Qualifications in IT. Did 2 years in College doing IT i have Level 3 Maths and Level 2 English. Im looking for a IT job I'm currently working for myself I'm self employed repairing computers etc. I will need to do some more research.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Why not look up "computer repairs in cork" in the Irish yellow pages and get in touch with some of them to see if they have any vacancies? Tell them you are a UK citizen and so do not need any work permits etc. Who knows, you may drop lucky!
Old Aug 15th 2016, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As a new arrival I doubt you would qualify immediately for public housing. Do they even have "council housing" in the Republic of Ireland?
They have plenty and are building more. The housing authority will check if you're eligible and unfortunately so many people are abusing the system. I was shocked to see the actual max net income limits for a single person. It's 35K Net in Cork City
http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/defa...29414%2Cen.pdf

In reality you probably only qualify when you have 3+ kids, but that's how the system works these days. You'll just have to consider the private sector. However, there should be no issue finding work in Cork for people willing to work.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

I'm currently renting council rented here in the UK atm. But private renting is a bit funny when they can turf you out when ever they want to I know that's the case with the UK not sure if it is the same with Ireland. I'm not the type of person that abuses the system neither I'd rather work and pay my way. But I'll go to cork and book an appointment with the council and see what information they give me.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

mrhappygolucky will become famous soon enoughmrhappygolucky will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jfitzer92
I'm currently renting council rented here in the UK atm. But private renting is a bit funny when they can turf you out when ever they want to I know that's the case with the UK not sure if it is the same with Ireland. I'm not the type of person that abuses the system neither I'd rather work and pay my way. But I'll go to cork and book an appointment with the council and see what information they give me.
About Homelessness - Focus Ireland
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrhappygolucky

Interesting figures and shows that people always try their luck

Under the Social Housing Strategy the Government estimated that only 35,573 of the households on the list actually needed a new home.

What I still find shocking is that the max income for a single is 35K in places like Galway, so the government shouldn't be surprised that they have so many people on waiting lists.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Cork, there is a real IT boom there at the moment. Was only back last week and couldn't believe how much it's changed since I moved away.

Just one note. Don't call it "southern ireland" when you get there - it'll rub the locals up. Most of us refer to it either as Ireland or The Republic
Old Aug 19th 2016, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by deadshoppingmalls
I'm from Cork, there is a real IT boom there at the moment. Was only back last week and couldn't believe how much it's changed since I moved away.

Just one note. Don't call it "southern ireland" when you get there - it'll rub the locals up. Most of us refer to it either as Ireland or The Republic
Yeah I've seen quite a few jobs in Cork thats IT there doesn't seem to be much in England for me. I use to live in Northern Ireland awhile ago. Oh and sorry ill call it ireland then
Old Aug 20th 2016, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Alarm Bells ring when an outsider describes the State as "Southern Ireland". You have to learn to pick up these things !

Rules are similar to the "old rules" for council housing in UK. A "Local connection" or "essential incoming worker" clause may be invoked.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...y_housing.html

Last edited by scot47; Aug 20th 2016 at 2:20 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Luxevienn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello how did it go where you able to find out more information about the housing over there?
Old Dec 18th 2016, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Clareden is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I'm looking to move to Cork in the new year. Does anyone know where is the best place to look for short term lets? Many thanks
Old Dec 19th 2016, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Clareden
Hi I'm looking to move to Cork in the new year. Does anyone know where is the best place to look for short term lets? Many thanks
The best places is usually Daft.ie and they have a short term let section.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.