Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Moving from Scotland to Ireland

Moving from Scotland to Ireland

Old Jun 5th 2014, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

MaryM911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from Scotland to Ireland

I am looking at moving from scotland to Ireland in the autum and looking at getting a job there, I have experience in the care sector. I have a house 1 1/2 hrs away from Dublin and would be able to drive this distance on a daily basis. I was wondering if there is any Visa i would need to look in to applying for to work in ireland
Old Jun 6th 2014, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Scotland to Ireland

Originally Posted by MaryM911
I am looking at moving from scotland to Ireland in the autum and looking at getting a job there, I have experience in the care sector. I have a house 1 1/2 hrs away from Dublin and would be able to drive this distance on a daily basis. I was wondering if there is any Visa i would need to look in to applying for to work in ireland
The free movement of workers agreement permits nationals of one EEA country to work in another EEA country on the same conditions as that member state's own citizens. As you have a house, you already have a PPS number, so now you just need the job.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 9:45 am
Just Joined

MaryM911 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The free movement of workers agreement permits nationals of one EEA country to work in another EEA country on the same conditions as that member state's own citizens. As you have a house, you already have a PPS number, so now you just need the job.
I Should have mentioned i do not own the house, it is in my parents name currently
Old Jun 6th 2014, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaryM911
I Should have mentioned i do not own the house, it is in my parents name currently
Well that's no problem either. Just find a job and then you register and will get a PPS number. Only thing that might be annoying is getting a bank account, as they always ask for utility bills. If you're residing at your parents house, it would be wise to transfer electricity account into your name.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

molly1664 is an unknown quantity at this point

just picking up from Moses2013 last reply, you can apply for your PPS number and open a bank account with Bank of Ireland before you move to Ireland. We contacted
Client Identity Services
Dept of Social Protection
Shannon Lodge
Carrick on Shannon
Co Leitrim
and they sent us the forms to complete. It took about 6 weeks for our PPS numbers to come through.

With the bank account we went into a branch with passports and utility bill from the UK, they were very helpful and opened the account straight away. By the time we returned to the UK our debit cards were waiting for us.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Originally Posted by molly1664
With the bank account we went into a branch with passports and utility bill from the UK, they were very helpful and opened the account straight away. By the time we returned to the UK our debit cards were waiting for us.
Do you mean that you went to a branch in ROI and had them send all the info to your UK address? That sounds easy!
Old Jun 10th 2014, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

molly1664 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes it was that easy. We were surprised
Old Jun 11th 2014, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Wow. Worth a try I guess!
Thanks
C