School catchment areas

Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Sezbobaloula is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School catchment areas

Hi there,

My husband and I are moving to Ireland (Sligo) with our 3 children (10, 8 & 5) in October. We plan to rent a house while we look for somewhere to buy or possibly build. What is the scenario with schools in terms of catchment areas? For example, we've an idea of where we want to live in the end but may not be able to rent as close by as we'd like as it is fairly rural. Can we enroll our children in the village school of the area we endeavour to be in or must we go for the nearest school to the place we rent?

Any other advice for a family in our situation?! Do you receive child benefit from England still or an equivalent in Ireland? Any health insurance recommendations?

Many thanks,

Sarah
xXx
Old Aug 31st 2017, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

fromheretothere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: School catchment areas

Originally Posted by Sezbobaloula
Hi there,

My husband and I are moving to Ireland (Sligo) with our 3 children (10, 8 & 5) in October. We plan to rent a house while we look for somewhere to buy or possibly build. What is the scenario with schools in terms of catchment areas? For example, we've an idea of where we want to live in the end but may not be able to rent as close by as we'd like as it is fairly rural. Can we enroll our children in the village school of the area we endeavour to be in or must we go for the nearest school to the place we rent?

Any other advice for a family in our situation?! Do you receive child benefit from England still or an equivalent in Ireland? Any health insurance recommendations?

Many thanks,

Sarah
xXx
Hi Sarah,

I can't speak for the rules at all schools, but I don't think in rural areas there is a strict catchment system like in the UK.

I moved to the Roscommon/Mayo border end of May, visited a number of schools within a 10mile radius to see what felt right for my daughter. We opted for one that is approx 5 miles away and certainly isn't our nearest school.

I can't help with health insurance I am afraid, but I know there is a comparison website called https://www.hia.ie.

Hope this helps and good luck with your move.