Reload this Page >

Moving to Republic of Ireland

Moving to Republic of Ireland

Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Brennyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Republic of Ireland

Hi
I am currently trying to find out as much info as possible about how expensive it would be to live in Southern Ireland as I'm trying to talk my wife into it.

First off I would be buying my property outright so that I can start a small holding on the property which is going to be in a rural location hoping to be self suficant within about 2-3 years.(including power requirements)
I'm hoping not to have to work but if I have to I am a qualified Electrician and plumber.
The type of property I will be living on (in) will be a 2-3 bedroom bungalow on a minimum of 8 acres.
I do currently have a repeat prescription for my eye so I have to look at wether this will be an additional cost as I currently don't pay for them.
Also am I wrong in saying the car tax is very high out there.
Do you have to pay council tax or any kind of land tax when you have a small holding.

If I lived on my land and was partially self sufficient how much would I need a month I do not intend to go on holiday I doubt if I would leave the land for the first 1-2years as I would have a lot of work to do.
But I would expect for the first year to have to buy food and pay for water and electric also council tax am I missing anything else (how much on average is Heath insurance for someone with glocoma (not spelt right I don't think)

Any help in this would be great if there are any phone numbers I can call for info that would also be great I would probably be living in or around Edenderry but rural

Many thanks
Old Dec 16th 2016, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Republic of Ireland

Calling the place "Southern Ireland" will not endear you to the locals.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Calling the place "Southern Ireland" will not endear you to the locals.
Hi
Thank you no offence ment I suppose it's the same as someone saying I'm from England when I'm welsh.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brennyn
Hi
I am currently trying to find out as much info as possible about how expensive it would be to live in Southern Ireland as I'm trying to talk my wife into it.

First off I would be buying my property outright so that I can start a small holding on the property which is going to be in a rural location hoping to be self suficant within about 2-3 years.(including power requirements)
I'm hoping not to have to work but if I have to I am a qualified Electrician and plumber.
The type of property I will be living on (in) will be a 2-3 bedroom bungalow on a minimum of 8 acres.
I do currently have a repeat prescription for my eye so I have to look at wether this will be an additional cost as I currently don't pay for them.
Also am I wrong in saying the car tax is very high out there.
Do you have to pay council tax or any kind of land tax when you have a small holding.

If I lived on my land and was partially self sufficient how much would I need a month I do not intend to go on holiday I doubt if I would leave the land for the first 1-2years as I would have a lot of work to do.
But I would expect for the first year to have to buy food and pay for water and electric also council tax am I missing anything else (how much on average is Heath insurance for someone with glocoma (not spelt right I don't think)

Any help in this would be great if there are any phone numbers I can call for info that would also be great I would probably be living in or around Edenderry but rural

Many thanks
Just say Ireland and you'll be fine. If you want advice etc. maybe this site would be helpful Cloughjordan Ecovillage | Building Sustainable Community
Old Dec 19th 2016, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Just say Ireland and you'll be fine. If you want advice etc. maybe this site would be helpful Cloughjordan Ecovillage | Building Sustainable Community
Thank you very much I will have a look at that site today.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 8:07 am
Just Joined

liamnolan is an unknown quantity at this point

For the past 7 years I have been running courses in Ireland, using the Rosslare ferry and have stayed each time at the Hostel at the Eco Village mentioned. If you are interested in sustainable living and want to chat with those who have all the info, then look no further than visiting Cloughjordan and dropping into the Hostel (which is a B&B and great value!) and chat with Pa there who will be able to help you. Its a very international set up and many are from the UK. The place has excellent wi-fi as well which helps. Very interesting eco-friendly house builds to be seen and you can buy a plot there and have one built to your own specs.
I have decided to return to Ireland with the business and my Scottish wife, so I am sorting out lots of issues, mostly the health care for my wife. There is a reciprocal arrangement whereby UK residents coming across will be entitled to the same medical treatment as the NHS though its not quite as good and so just like Irish residents you would probably need to look through the very confusing maze of private health care insurance to fill in the cracks.
You need to get over to Ireland and do lots of chatting with those who are already doing the same thing as that way you will not waste time and money and will start off on the right track. Good luck in your adventure! Liam