Moving to Letterkenny

Old Oct 26th 2016, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

jimbob66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving to Letterkenny

I am a 64 year old UK citizen and I'm married to an Argentine woman. Until I get my State Pension next year, I have just a teachers' pension plus a bit of savings. We are looking to move to Letterkenny early next year and want to stay for at least 12 months and if we integrate ok, settle there.
1. Are there any income requirements that we must meet?
2. Do we need to take out private medical insurance?
3. I may look to do some self-employed work as a private tutor. My wife speaks English and Spanish and is a trained teacher. Are both ideas acceptable?

Many thanks

Kevin:
Old Oct 27th 2016, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Moving to Letterkenny

I'm going to reply in part to my own question. I see there are no answers and probably that is because the answers are found, in part, by reading further posts.
However, here's the deal. I cannot find out if my wife has the same status as me, a UK citizen. By that I mean, and having read the Irish govt website and having received a reply from them, it states specifically that a UK citizen has no restrictions placed on them, nothing at all. However, it then goes on to distinguish between EEA and non-EU family members when looking at possible restrictions. Does that imply that my wife, by virtue of marriage, will be treated like me or will she be classed as a non-EU citizen ( Argentinian)?
Old Oct 27th 2016, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbob66
I'm going to reply in part to my own question. I see there are no answers and probably that is because the answers are found, in part, by reading further posts.
However, here's the deal. I cannot find out if my wife has the same status as me, a UK citizen. By that I mean, and having read the Irish govt website and having received a reply from them, it states specifically that a UK citizen has no restrictions placed on them, nothing at all. However, it then goes on to distinguish between EEA and non-EU family members when looking at possible restrictions. Does that imply that my wife, by virtue of marriage, will be treated like me or will she be classed as a non-EU citizen ( Argentinian)?

Not much going on here:-): She shouldn't have a problem. I don't know Letterkenny that well and am further down near Galway. Sorry, does she have any specific job offer as a teacher?

Residence rights for your family

If you are an EEA or Swiss national, your family, whatever their nationality, also have the right to live with you in Ireland. Your qualifying family member is defined as your spouse, civil partner, children under 21 and other children who are dependent on you and their spouses or civil partners, your parents and your spouse or civil partner's parents, if they are also dependent on you

Last edited by Moses2013; Oct 27th 2016 at 2:20 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Moses.
No, she doesn't have a job offer and I know from others that English is taught free at the local college so not much likely to happen for either of us on that score. She may pick up a bit of Spanish tuition say on Skype. It doesn't really matter as long as our income from Feb to Sept is enough to struggle by on. It was her status that was bothering me and you've cleared that up, so, thanks again.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Moses.
No, she doesn't have a job offer and I know from others that English is taught free at the local college so not much likely to happen for either of us on that score. She may pick up a bit of Spanish tuition say on Skype. It doesn't really matter as long as our income from Feb to Sept is enough to struggle by on. It was her status that was bothering me and you've cleared that up, so, thanks again.
If I may ask, from all the locations in Ireland why specifically Letterkenny?
Just from employment side you'd be better off being closer to a city with multinationals, especially with Spanish and countryside is never far in Ireland.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

We, well, I, chose Letterkenny because the cost of living looked low compared to say Galway, Cork, Wexford, which we also looked at. The idea was initially to do the Surinder Singh route thus allowing my wife to gain entry into the UK outside the Immigration rules ( my income doesn't satisfy the rules). However, that plan was thrown out some months ago and we decided that we just needed to find somewhere to settle so chose Ireland. Working won't really matter from next September. Do you think somewhere else would be a possibility? I have to say that having just looked again at the costs throughout Ireland, trying to get by on £700 per month for the next 6 months is looking like a bit of a stretch!!
Old Oct 27th 2016, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

dreamer55 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm assuming you won't be paying rent from that £700? If so, I wouldn't worry; £700 is more than benefits would pay so must be manageable. (I'm planning on moving over on £500pm income, but with a house bought outright - a stretch, but at least with the possibility of self-employment as there won't be language difficulties). Good luck xx
Old Oct 27th 2016, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Dreamer. Unfortunately, the £700 doesn't incl rent so it's looking like having to wait until I make it to 65. Good luck to you too.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We, well, I, chose Letterkenny because the cost of living looked low compared to say Galway, Cork, Wexford, which we also looked at. The idea was initially to do the Surinder Singh route thus allowing my wife to gain entry into the UK outside the Immigration rules ( my income doesn't satisfy the rules). However, that plan was thrown out some months ago and we decided that we just needed to find somewhere to settle so chose Ireland. Working won't really matter from next September. Do you think somewhere else would be a possibility? I have to say that having just looked again at the costs throughout Ireland, trying to get by on £700 per month for the next 6 months is looking like a bit of a stretch!!
No doubt that you'll find cheaper rental in the centre of Letterkenny compared to Cork, Galway etc. but then again Letterkenny is only a very small place, so you might be better off in a smaller village closer to a bigger town/city. The rental market is tough these days and I can understand that Letterkenny probably looks cheaper on paper and of course someone like dreamer55 with no mortgage is in a better position.

I wouldn't like to be searching for rental these days where I am and buying was far cheaper for me personally. Every person is different, so no one can really say how much you need to live but 700 for rent and food is basically nothing here. Even the poorest people in Ireland, so somebody on benefits receives €188 per week and get's rent allowance. The worst job possible will pay you €1400 monthly after tax, so anywhere where there is basic work available might make up for paying €200 more rent.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again Moses, excellent info. You have given me a true insight into the realities of such a move at my age.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

After years of teaching in faraway p[laces, I returned to my native Scotland at the age of 64. I did not have the luxury of a teacher's pension but I made a life for myself.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Not sure what point your trying to make Scot but have you got a non-EU wife with you? I'd love to be able to live with her in Scotland but UK Immigration say I cannot.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

My point was that you can have a go - even at the advanced age of 64.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

A further question springs to mind. After the initial 3 months, is there a financial requirement set by the State that I need to meet in order to set the residency procedure rolling? I'm assuming that my wife has to apply for a residency card as the family member in order to lengthen her stay?
Why oh why have things become so complicated!!!!?
Old Nov 5th 2016, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

A further question springs to mind. After the initial 3 months, is there a financial requirement set by the State that I need to meet in order to set the residency procedure rolling? I'm assuming that my wife has to apply for a residency card as the family member in order to lengthen her stay?
Why oh why have things become so complicated!!!!?
For you...no - there are no residency requirements for Brits in Ireland. As for your wife. She will need to present herself at the closest garda station (with you) to register, where she will receive "stamp 4" residency ( basically, the wife of a EU national) that will allow her the right to "join a EU/EEA spouse. Because Argentines do not require visas to enter ireland (source..I nearly married one..a Porteña no less..bullet dodged, but she never had issues coming in), you will have no issues at all.

Register to join an EU, EEA or Swiss family member

My sister in law (yank) flew into Dublin and when asked how long she was staying for said "forever" and flashed her engagement/wedding ring at the immigration in the airport, with my brother next to her. All he said was "well done" and directed her to register with the gardai within 3 months and "welcome to your new home".

I will say that 700 a month is going to be tight, but doable. You may have to share a house with people until you get your pension.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.