Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

moving to Ireland with uk wife

moving to Ireland with uk wife

Old Mar 5th 2016, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Kevinsolis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Ireland with uk wife

I am in the US and my wife is in the UK and she's planning on going to Ireland to live and I'm going to join her. I want to know if there's anything I need to apply for before going or can I just buy a ticket and go and tell whoever at immigration that I'm meeting up with my wife and I'm planning on living there? I know that when I'm there I have to apply for something but before hand I have no idea. also does my wife have to do anything?
Old Mar 5th 2016, 4:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Ireland with uk wife

On what basis do you plan on living in Ireland? As the spouse of an EEA citizen? Are you travelling directly from the US to Ireland or going via the UK?
Old Mar 5th 2016, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

I'm planning on going to Ireland from the US and yeah since I am the spouse of an EEA citizen that's what I'll be telling them. my wife would already be in Ireland waiting for me.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 4:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you're flying directly from the US then you should bring evidence of your marriage to an EEA citizen (marriage certificate, copy of your wife's passport). After you arrive you should apply for a residence card using Form EU1.

Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service EU Treaty Rights
Old Mar 5th 2016, 5:47 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

to add to this, maybe some duplication from post#4

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...y_members.html

Registering non EU citizens

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...n_ireland.html

once you've figured out where you're going to live,

http://www.property.ie

http://www.daft.ie

http://www.myhome.ie

then you'll need to get the Irish equivalent of a SSN

Personal Public Service Number

other info

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/

Find & register with a doctor in the town you'll live

Consider private health insurance

Last edited by not2old; Mar 5th 2016 at 6:56 pm. Reason: added links
Old Mar 5th 2016, 10:22 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, I went back & looked at all your historical posts which appears that you may be considering the 'Surinder Singh' route?

If so, I'm sure that you have done some research?

To add, in the following link the 9 page document - updated version of 'Surinder Singh for newbies' through Ireland

https://www.hashdoc.com/documents/77...or-newbies-pdf
Old Mar 6th 2016, 12:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by not2old
OP, I went back & looked at all your historical posts which appears that you may be considering the 'Surinder Singh' route?

If so, I'm sure that you have done some research?

To add, in the following link the 9 page document - updated version of 'Surinder Singh for newbies' through Ireland

https://www.hashdoc.com/documents/77...or-newbies-pdf

I have done research but it never hurts really to keep making sure I know everything but with the surinder Singh route I hear the uk wants to get rid of it with the referendum coming up
Old Mar 7th 2016, 7:49 am

You could always stay in Ireland for five years and naturalise as an Irish citizen and thus be unaffected by any future Brexit consequences.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You could always stay in Ireland for five years and naturalise as an Irish citizen and thus be unaffected by any future Brexit consequences.
Agree and if someone is planning to stay in Ireland/Europe, it makes sense anyway. The other questions would be if the OP needs work and where they will be based.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

I think I'll be able to work if they give me a specific stamp or until I get a resident card
Old Mar 7th 2016, 6:27 pm

The OP will be able to work.