Reload this Page >

Moving to Ireland but Working in the UK

Moving to Ireland but Working in the UK

Old Nov 22nd 2016, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Hillol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Ireland but Working in the UK

Hi,
I would be grateful if someone could help me with this.

I'm a naturalised British citizen. After the wake of Brexit and also for some other factors, I have decided to move to Ireland and eventually become an Irish citizen.

I understand that as a British citizen I need to have 5 years reckonable residency in the State before I can apply for Irish passport.

I have a permanent job in London. If I'm not wrong, job opportunities are better in London than Dublin.

My query is that is it possible to continue my job in London while having an address in Dublin for immigration purpose or do I have to physically present in Ireland for the whole duration before I become eligible to apply for Irish citizenship?
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ireland but Working in the UK

Originally Posted by Hillol
Hi,

I'm a naturalised British citizen. After the wake of Brexit and also for some other factors, I have decided to move to Ireland and eventually become an Irish citizen.

I understand that as a British citizen I need to have 5 years reckonable residency in the State before I can apply for Irish passport.

I have a permanent job in London. If I'm not wrong, job opportunities are better in London than Dublin.

My query is that is it possible to continue my job in London while having an address in Dublin for immigration purpose or do I have to physically present in Ireland for the whole duration before I become eligible to apply for Irish citizenship?

What you need is “reckonable residence", so you won't qualify by just having an address in Ireland.

These arrangements are on the basis that the person with residence permission is also physically resident. Where there are significant absences from the State during the currency of permission further enquiries may be necessary and the application may be refused. Certain periods of residence in the State covered by a permission to remain are not reckonable if that permission was –
  • For the purposes of study (whether or not that study involved you being in employment during any of the period of study), or
  • While your claim for asylum was being examined.
Gaps between permissions are periods of unlawful residence and are not reckonable. Certain non-Irish nationals are exempted by law from the requirement to have permission to remain.

But to be honest you can't say that job opportunities are better in one place and it's really down to the individual and how they want to live. You might be better off moving to Dublin now if the right job comes up.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

After the Brexit referendum, there are some companies in London who are considering moving to Dublin.
It depends on your job market.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
What you need is “reckonable residence", so you won't qualify by just having an address in Ireland.

These arrangements are on the basis that the person with residence permission is also physically resident. Where there are significant absences from the State during the currency of permission further enquiries may be necessary and the application may be refused. Certain periods of residence in the State covered by a permission to remain are not reckonable if that permission was –
  • For the purposes of study (whether or not that study involved you being in employment during any of the period of study), or
  • While your claim for asylum was being examined.
Gaps between permissions are periods of unlawful residence and are not reckonable. Certain non-Irish nationals are exempted by law from the requirement to have permission to remain.

But to be honest you can't say that job opportunities are better in one place and it's really down to the individual and how they want to live. You might be better off moving to Dublin now if the right job comes up.
Thanks Moses2013 for your reply.
I understand that as a British citizen when I travel through common travel area between UK and Ireland, I don't require any passport or immigration stamp.

How someone would know how many times I have entered Ireland or exit from Ireland as there is no immigration between UK and Ireland?

Even some people who live in Republic and travel to Northern Ireland for work and go back to Republic daily.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cyrian
After the Brexit referendum, there are some companies in London who are considering moving to Dublin.
It depends on your job market.
Thanks Cyrian for your reply. I work in HR.
I'm not that choosy and am willing to do anything that is closely related to management.

I heard that Irish people in Ireland are more welcoming than British people in the UK - is that true?
If I choose to live in Ireland, I would certainly choose Dublin.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 9:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Moses2013 for your reply.
I understand that as a British citizen when I travel through common travel area between UK and Ireland, I don't require any passport or immigration stamp.

How someone would know how many times I have entered Ireland or exit from Ireland as there is no immigration between UK and Ireland?

Even some people who live in Republic and travel to Northern Ireland for work and go back to Republic daily.
Well for starters the Irish government will know that you're not paying tax in Ireland, which is a pretty big clue that you're not living there. Commuting to Northern Ireland for work is entirely reasonable, commuting from Dublin to London seems improbable.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 10:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You can't get Irish citizenship if you rent a flat in Dublin in five years anymore than you can get French citizenship because you own a holiday home in Normandy. That the Common Travel Area means there are no immigration controls between the UK and the RoI isn't a loophole for you; it's a problem. The onus is on you to demonstrate your residence in the Republic, not for the Irish government to disprove it and as Pulaski has stated your Irish income tax records will be checked.

If you want Irish citizenship you'll actually need to go and live in the Republic. Ideally that would mean finding a new job, probably in Dublin. If your employer permits you to work remotely with occasional travel to London then that would be a possibility as would living south of the border and commuting to a new job in, say, Belfast. You could even commute daily from Dublin to London by air; it's an hour and half flight from London City, but it wouldn't be cheap.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You can't get Irish citizenship if you rent a flat in Dublin in five years anymore than you can get French citizenship because you own a holiday home in Normandy. That the Common Travel Area means there are no immigration controls between the UK and the RoI isn't a loophole for you; it's a problem. The onus is on you to demonstrate your residence in the Republic, not for the Irish government to disprove it and as Pulaski has stated your Irish income tax records will be checked.

If you want Irish citizenship you'll actually need to go and live in the Republic. Ideally that would mean finding a new job, probably in Dublin. If your employer permits you to work remotely with occasional travel to London then that would be a possibility as would living south of the border and commuting to a new job in, say, Belfast. You could even commute daily from Dublin to London by air; it's an hour and half flight from London City, but it wouldn't be cheap.
Thanks for the reply. Actually now it makes sense to me. If my workplace is not in Ireland, it would be very difficult for me to prove my residency in ROI.
Also, if my tax records are checked then it will undoubtedly prove everything.

Thanks. Can I please ask if I can bring my non-EU family member to Ireland anytime during my 5 year residency? I mean, there is obviously an EEA route. But what I'm asking is that can I sponsor my non-EU family members to ROI under the Irish Law as Brits moving to Ireland are considered to have 'settled' status from the time they arrive and have the same rights as Irish citizens have.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply. Actually now it makes sense to me. If my workplace is not in Ireland, it would be very difficult for me to prove my residency in ROI.
Also, if my tax records are checked then it will undoubtedly prove everything.

Thanks. Can I please ask if I can bring my non-EU family member to Ireland anytime during my 5 year residency? I mean, there is obviously an EEA route. But what I'm asking is that can I sponsor my non-EU family members to ROI under the Irish Law as Brits moving to Ireland are considered to have 'settled' status from the time they arrive and have the same rights as Irish citizens have.

If you are a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) or of Switzerland, you have the right to stay in Ireland, and your family members have the right to stay here also. There are some limits to this right, however.

You can stay in Ireland for up to 3 months without restriction. If you plan to stay more than 3 months, you must either:
  • Be engaged in economic activity (employed or self employed) or
  • Have sufficient resources and sickness insurance to ensure that you do not become a burden on the social services of Ireland or
  • Be enrolled as a student or vocational trainee or
  • Be a family member of a EU citizen in one of the previous categories.
When you come to Ireland you do not need to register with the local immigration officer and you do not need a residence card to live here. If you wish to have a record of your residence in Ireland you can register with your embassy of your country in Ireland.
UK citizens: People who are citizens of the United Kingdom (UK) are entitled to live in Ireland without any conditions or restrictions.

You can find more info here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...y_members.html

Last edited by Moses2013; Nov 23rd 2016 at 7:09 am.