Reload this Page >

Moving to Ireland - Advice!

Moving to Ireland - Advice!

Old Jan 28th 2016, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Zelda247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Ireland - Advice!

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I'm sorry to hear your situation, but all the information is there to read and it's been posted here a thousand times. Medical cards
If you aren't happy with the service in the Republic and think you can't afford it, why don't you go to the North, or just book an appointment in England?

If you've paid into the UK system, then there should be no problem and I'm sure you have the EHIC.You also say that your partner is a heavy smoker, so with a packet of cigarettes costing €10, I'm sure some extra money can be found.I pay around €35 for health insurance through work, but the normal rate is around €80 and nearly everything is covered., so I don't find this unaffordable.
Yes we have paid into the UK Health System and also the Irish one when we both worked here during the 1980's. My husband has given up smoking so that is not an issue, the rate we have been quoted for Health Insurance is 400 euros per month.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zelda247
Yes we have paid into the UK Health System and also the Irish one when we both worked here during the 1980's. My husband has given up smoking so that is not an issue, the rate we have been quoted for Health Insurance is 400 euros per month.
Why don't you go to a hospital in the UK, if you don't want to wait that long? You just need a referral from your GP.
HSE.ie - Accessing Healthcare Abroad under CBD
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Why don't you go to a hospital in the UK, if you don't want to wait that long? You just need a referral from your GP.
HSE.ie - Accessing Healthcare Abroad under CBD
I should not have to that's the point I am making.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zelda247
I should not have to that's the point I am making.
Then try another clinic in Ireland, rather than your local hospital.There's no point trying to compare London to Co. Kerry and I've experience good and bad in the UK too. I waited hours in Medway Hospital in the UK, but was seen in 20 mins in Galway (note public), but I'm not complaining.
If people want a different system, then we'll have to start paying more, but we don't like paying either.In Germany, over €200 was taken out of my salary each month, so I'm better off here paying for private health insurance.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Then try another clinic in Ireland, rather than your local hospital.There's no point trying to compare London to Co. Kerry and I've experience good and bad in the UK too. I waited hours in Medway Hospital in the UK, but was seen in 20 mins in Galway (note public), but I'm not complaining.
If people want a different system, then we'll have to start paying more, but we don't like paying either.In Germany, over €200 was taken out of my salary each month, so I'm better off here paying for private health insurance.
You have to go where you are referred to by your doctor.

Its great that healthcare has worked out for you in Ireland but you have got to understand how it is for Pensioners with virtually no disposable income. My only hope is that people will consider this issue before they decide to move from the UK.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's a bit harsh, especially if you've ever lived in a 3rd world country and experienced the conditions. You get what you pay for, so if people are unhappy with service, just get a health plan and pay a bit more. A good GP can also make a huge difference incl. the area you live. Even in the UK, the system is not working and most employed people now pay for private healthcare.
Help me please, Where did you get that bit of information?
Old Jan 30th 2016, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jonboy
Help me please, Where did you get that bit of information?
I am glad its all worked out for Moses but he has not got a clue what life is like in Ireland for pensioners.