MOVING TO IRELAND

Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

adet2510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MOVING TO IRELAND

HI MODERATOR,

I AM SORRY IF I HAVE GATE CRASHED THIS WAY BUT I AM A BRITISH CITIZEN AND CONSIDERING OF MOVING TO REP OF IRELAND IN THE MIDDLE OF NEXT YEAR. I AM REALLY CURIOUS ABOUT HOW TO GO ABOUT A WHOLE LOT OF ISSUES. 1. GETTING A JOB 2. HOUSING COST/RENT ETC. 3.CAN I VISIT DUBLIN AND REGISTER FOR N.I OR EQUIVALENT IN ADVANCE? 4. ARE JOBS AVAILABLE. AND IS IT THROUGH THERE IS RECESSION OVER THERE. I WILL APPRECIATE IT IF SOMEONE COULD SHED SOME LIGHT THANKS A LOT.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 5:53 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOVING TO IRELAND

Originally Posted by adet2510
HI MODERATOR,

I AM SORRY IF I HAVE GATE CRASHED THIS WAY BUT I AM A BRITISH CITIZEN AND CONSIDERING OF MOVING TO REP OF IRELAND IN THE MIDDLE OF NEXT YEAR. I AM REALLY CURIOUS ABOUT HOW TO GO ABOUT A WHOLE LOT OF ISSUES. 1. GETTING A JOB 2. HOUSING COST/RENT ETC. 3.CAN I VISIT DUBLIN AND REGISTER FOR N.I OR EQUIVALENT IN ADVANCE? 4. ARE JOBS AVAILABLE. AND IS IT THROUGH THERE IS RECESSION OVER THERE. I WILL APPRECIATE IT IF SOMEONE COULD SHED SOME LIGHT THANKS A LOT.
I have moved your post to it`s own thread as it will get lost in the other one. ;-)
Also please take off your caps lock, as it is considered shouting text.
I am sure someone will be along soon to give you info you need.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 2:04 pm
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

HI MODERATOR,

Yes, deffo no need to shout...

There is a recession, yes. Job situation is very bad right now.

Housing/rent prices vary around the country. The least you'd pay in Dublin for example is probably about €140 a week for a small flat.

Your tax/PRSI number is called a PPI number. I don't know how you register for one, as it is issued to Irish people automatically, but I would say start at the Inland Revenue.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:29 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roamer25
Job situation is very bad right now.
6 months and counting.

Love it here, especially after being back in miserable London for the last few days, but its incredibly expensive here and jobs are very hard to come by.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 8:30 am
Just Joined

bridekirk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I have been hearing a lot about how expensive it is to live in Ireland. While a lot of things seem to be better ( i.e. no council tax as in the UK no property rates water is free ) and petrol seems jot that much higher... Are we talking about food costs that are high? what kind of percentage higher and are there other things maybe I have niot taken account of ( I know the medcical costs are high ) Cheers
Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:41 am
Believe to Receive

maurichlee is just really nicemaurichlee is just really nicemaurichlee is just really nicemaurichlee is just really nicemaurichlee is just really nicemaurichlee is just really nicemaurichlee is just really nicemaurichlee is just really nice
Smile Re: MOVING TO IRELAND

Ireland is expensive to live and work in! But its safe and a much simpler way of life. Parts of Dublin can be a bit daunting, but every major city has its problems, just the drug situation is increasing, not a good place for kids. The outskirts are far more family orientated, but the rentals and prices of housing in these areas are expensive.
We live deep in the country, a bit boring at times since we don't do the "pub" scene. Alot cheaper though. We still travel to the North to do our shopping though.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:47 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridekirk
Hi. I have been hearing a lot about how expensive it is to live in Ireland. While a lot of things seem to be better ( i.e. no council tax as in the UK no property rates water is free ) and petrol seems jot that much higher... Are we talking about food costs that are high? what kind of percentage higher and are there other things maybe I have niot taken account of ( I know the medcical costs are high ) Cheers

Well 21.5% VAT for a start. Its a fact of a small population. It was the same in Canada, not enough competition. But then again I wouldnt swap the overcrowding of London for N Wicklow. Now the Euro and Pound are almost the same it is hard not to compare. Pint of beer, £3 quid compared with 4.50 here. Bottle of Rioja down here was 14.99 but £4.99 in N Ireland. Petrol is down to 93 cents compared with 1.28 just two months ago. Food is more expensive but the quality is better. Veg lasts for days. Its all about what you want from life i guess. Its far nicer here dealing with people.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:55 am
Believe to Receive

maurichlee is just really nicemaurichlee is just really nicemaurichlee is just really nicemaurichlee is just really nicemaurichlee is just really nicemaurichlee is just really nicemaurichlee is just really nicemaurichlee is just really nice

Wicklow is gorgeous! We lived in Arklow for a year, that would be around 7 yrs ago, but still a comfort zone for us! Life is so much simpler in Ireland, the only complaint is "Where did the Sunshine go???" The summers were great once.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys this is great info. My wants are pretty simple and I am always out to get good value for money so I imagine that with shopping you can cut your cloth accordingly and just seek out the bargains. I am by no means extravagent in my needs but dont want to starve or freeze to death lol. being semi retired my income is quite limited. From what you are saying it might be good to consider buying my house nearer to the North ... maybe Donegal ( although I love the Galway area )... Didnt realize that this might be a major advantage. The quality of life is the overiding appeal and the desire to escape the UK !! Once again Many thanks to u all
Old Jan 5th 2009, 1:12 pm
Believe to Receive

Galway can be quite expensive to buy or rent, however if you are willing to live a bit further out in the rural areas, it becomes more affordable. The rentals especially are declining in price due to the economic slowdown. Your regular day to day groceries can be done in Lidl or Tesco and Supervalue which is slightly dearer. Medical costs are expensive, I know a doctors consult alone comes in around €45 to €50 depending on area, then drugs are quite costly too. We go to Iceland to do our meats and sundries shopping, cos the meat here is expensive, and all mums go to Iceland!!! Petrol has come down it's now sitting at 98c per litre where I am, but you must shop around for better prices. Heating oil too needs to be shopped around for. You will avail of gas central heating in cities though, and we found that cheaper than oil! Making friends and fitting into a community is relatively easy in Ireland, the locals are very friendly, and want to know all about you. Also, find a hobby that will get you involved in the local community.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

That is great information and thanks !!. Yes one of the things that appeals to me is the freindliness of people in Ireland. As for my hobbies I do a lot of charity work over here and am a member of the organ Grimder's association so often do work for church fundraising events and fairs with my barrel organ and monkey so I am sure this would be a good way to get invloved in the locality. Thanks again for your help All the Best to you John
Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:58 am
Just Joined

perryn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
I have recently won an interview panel for a Nursing job in Tullamore.
Any advice you can give me on getting out of the UK to the ROI. Will be greatly appriciated.

Neil
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

hannash is an unknown quantity at this point

HI MODERATOR,

u cant be serious about republic its economy has had it
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:24 am
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by hannash
u cant be serious about republic its economy has had it
I think that can be said about most economies at the moment.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:48 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by maurichlee
Galway can be quite expensive to buy or rent, however if you are willing to live a bit further out in the rural areas, it becomes more affordable. The rentals especially are declining in price due to the economic slowdown. Your regular day to day groceries can be done in Lidl or Tesco and Supervalue which is slightly dearer. Medical costs are expensive, I know a doctors consult alone comes in around €45 to €50 depending on area, then drugs are quite costly too. We go to Iceland to do our meats and sundries shopping, cos the meat here is expensive, and all mums go to Iceland!!! Petrol has come down it's now sitting at 98c per litre where I am, but you must shop around for better prices. Heating oil too needs to be shopped around for. You will avail of gas central heating in cities though, and we found that cheaper than oil! Making friends and fitting into a community is relatively easy in Ireland, the locals are very friendly, and want to know all about you. Also, find a hobby that will get you involved in the local community.
I was just going to suggest Aldi and lidl for shopping I know that's what we did and then for the things you cant get we would go to Dunnes or Tesco.

I agree on getting involved in the community as well, I know when I come home (I'm in oz) we will be moving to Carlow so starting all over again, I plan on getting out and joining things so I can get to know people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.