Moving to Cork

Old Jun 9th 2016, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

alaisa18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Cork

Hi,

My name is Sandra, I am currently living in London and I have to move to Cork for a year in August.

I have been reading about how to rent a flat there and I have found the process is very specific. I can't find information for people coming from abroad, all seems to be written for locals... so I am a bit lost, I have a few questions, I hope you can help.

1. My company will provide a proof of employment. I have read I need references from previous landlords, but I don't have any in Irleand. Do you think UK landlords will be ok?

2. Apparently it is mandatory my landlord provides an inventory, but that comes without pictures and I should take pictures of the property? In the UK normally the landlord sends an inventory company that does this...

3. There is a official rent and the landlord can't charge more than that?

4. There is something called "rent book" where my landlord has to keep track of my payments? And I have to have access to it...

5. My tenancy has ato be registered on the RTB? So if I don't see it there in a month, should I do something about it?

6. My landlord can kick me out during the first 6 months apparently...

Number 1 is the most important, as I don't have any history in the country, bank account or even social security number...

Thanks for your help
Sandra
Old Jun 9th 2016, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Cork

Originally Posted by alaisa18
Hi,

My name is Sandra, I am currently living in London and I have to move to Cork for a year in August.

I have been reading about how to rent a flat there and I have found the process is very specific. I can't find information for people coming from abroad, all seems to be written for locals... so I am a bit lost, I have a few questions, I hope you can help.

1. My company will provide a proof of employment. I have read I need references from previous landlords, but I don't have any in Irleand. Do you think UK landlords will be ok?

2. Apparently it is mandatory my landlord provides an inventory, but that comes without pictures and I should take pictures of the property? In the UK normally the landlord sends an inventory company that does this...

3. There is a official rent and the landlord can't charge more than that?

4. There is something called "rent book" where my landlord has to keep track of my payments? And I have to have access to it...

5. My tenancy has ato be registered on the RTB? So if I don't see it there in a month, should I do something about it?

6. My landlord can kick me out during the first 6 months apparently...

Number 1 is the most important, as I don't have any history in the country, bank account or even social security number...

Thanks for your help
Sandra

So from what I understand, is that your company is paying rent and they want all these things, because most landlords in Ireland probably wont know what you want? It really depends if it's an official letting agent, or just a farmer letting.

In general it's get job offer, get PPS number and find accommodation. To open bank account, you need proof of identity and an address, but your employer can maybe help if you don't have proof of address.

How do you get a PPS Number?

You will need to apply for your PPS Number with the Department of Social Protection. Call in to your local registered PPS Number Registration Centre. In Dublin the centre is the Intreo Centre, Parnell Street while in Cork it is located at the Social Welfare Office, Hanover Quay. There are specific opening hours for this service in Cork so be sure to find out before you go there so you don’t make a wasted journey. It’s also usually a good idea to try and go there early to avoid the queues.
Proof of identity

When you go to get a PPS Number you’ll need to show them proof of identity, usually a valid passport or National Identity Card, and evidence that you are living in Ireland.
If you haven’t found a place to live yet but want to get your PPS Num­ber, your employer can make the applic­a­tion on your behalf.
- See more at: Applying for a PPS Number | IT and multilingual jobs in Ireland > Make IT in Ireland
Old Jun 9th 2016, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

alaisa18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks, Moses. So I assume you are saying all my questions are not so relevant because landlords don't comply with all I am been reading online... ?

I read about that PPS number, but I thought that is something I had to do for my employee, to pay taxes and all that. So what you are saying is I need to have a PPS to rent a property?

Thanks a lot again for all your help!
Old Jun 9th 2016, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alaisa18
Hi,

Thanks, Moses. So I assume you are saying all my questions are not so relevant because landlords don't comply with all I am been reading online... ?

I read about that PPS number, but I thought that is something I had to do for my employee, to pay taxes and all that. So what you are saying is I need to have a PPS to rent a property?

Thanks a lot again for all your help!

Every landlord/contract will be different and obviously most of your points exist, however I wouldn't worry about RTB etc. and that's the landlords job. (see here)
Dispute resolution

The RTB provides a confidential dispute resolution service. You can initiate the dispute resolution process if you are a tenant, a landlord or are otherwise directly affected by a problem (for example, if you are a neighbour). A landlord who has not registered the tenancy with the RTB cannot use the dispute resolution service, but their tenant(s) can use it.

If you pay a deposit, it's obviously in your own interest to have an inventory and take pictures for yourself. Use common sense and read the contract, but don't stress yourself if the landlord isn't registered.

PPS number is basically National Insurance, so you need this number for work, social services etc.