Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Moving to Co. Kerry - Any need to know info?

Moving to Co. Kerry - Any need to know info?

Old Jul 9th 2014, 8:06 am
Just Joined

agroom1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Co. Kerry - Any need to know info?

A few questions regarding different subjects as we are only just starting the ball rolling so I want to find out as much as I can.

My partner and I are looking to sell our house in England and buy a home in Co. Kerry.

Hopefully with the profit from the sale of our house we would be able to buy outright.We are looking at houses out side of the larger towns but with an outbuilding/workshop area as my partner is a mechanic and would look to go self employed and work from there. I would also look at going self employed doing the books and hopefully taking part time work with horses. I hope this would be adequate as we would not have a mortgage to pay but any advice, pros/cons of being self employed in Ireland would be appreciated.

We would also be moving across with 2 dogs and 2 cats, all are upto date on vac/worming/flea treatment and will have passports but is there anything else I should be aware of or look into?

We have x2 cars at the moment, what would you guys advise as to taking them across with us or selling them and buying when we get to Ireland?

General living costs - what are the main differences to England, I know you have to pay for bin collection and health insurance but any more information on any costs would be appreciated.

The above are the main questions I have thought of so farm but if there is anything else anyone thinks may be important of useful information please do comment as I would like as much detail as possible!

Many Thanks in advance,

Aimee & Frazer
Old Jul 9th 2014, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Co. Kerry - Any need to know info?

Originally Posted by agroom1989
A few questions regarding different subjects as we are only just starting the ball rolling so I want to find out as much as I can.

My partner and I are looking to sell our house in England and buy a home in Co. Kerry.

Hopefully with the profit from the sale of our house we would be able to buy outright.We are looking at houses out side of the larger towns but with an outbuilding/workshop area as my partner is a mechanic and would look to go self employed and work from there. I would also look at going self employed doing the books and hopefully taking part time work with horses. I hope this would be adequate as we would not have a mortgage to pay but any advice, pros/cons of being self employed in Ireland would be appreciated.

We would also be moving across with 2 dogs and 2 cats, all are upto date on vac/worming/flea treatment and will have passports but is there anything else I should be aware of or look into?

We have x2 cars at the moment, what would you guys advise as to taking them across with us or selling them and buying when we get to Ireland?

General living costs - what are the main differences to England, I know you have to pay for bin collection and health insurance but any more information on any costs would be appreciated.

The above are the main questions I have thought of so farm but if there is anything else anyone thinks may be important of useful information please do comment as I would like as much detail as possible!

Many Thanks in advance,

Aimee & Frazer
Hi,

There isn't too much going on this Ireland forum at the moment, but you might find this link helpful Self Employed Tax Top 50 Questions | Pay Less Tax Ireland

Regarding pets: Pet dogs, cats and ferrets entering Ireland from the EU require:

-Passport/certificate showing identification
-Subsequent rabies vaccination with first vaccination at least 21 days before entry
-Specific tapeworm treatment of all pet dogs

I would recommend to take your car (UK is cheaper to buy) if you've had it longer than 6 months, then you'll be exempt from VRT, but can't sell the car for the next 12 months. The good thing is that you'll get more for your money when it comes to property, it's cheaper + you'll get more Euros for your pounds. General living costs? You'll probably find it more expensive (especially if you're looking at British products), because UK is bigger, you have more competition and lower wages. Then again, it depends which part of the UK you're from and prices can vary. If you buy Irish brands, you'll find the quality better and not that expensive, especially meat, or free range eggs. Lidl & Aldi have a complete different selection here compared to the UK too. Overall the quality of life is better here and the pace slower, so I think that's worth a lot.