On the Move :thumbsup:

Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Mandy27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile On the Move :thumbsup:

Hello,

i'm in need of some help please, got a job offer to move from Glasgow to Cork. I am going to accept the offer and am excited about new chapter in my life, but there is so much i need to do, is it easy to bring my car over?? What about opening a new bank account?? also i am unaware of the housing area's. Plan to get a room somewhere until i find my feet, is there any area's i need to avoid?? sorry lots of question but if you could help me out i would be grateful

Mandy x
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:41 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On the Move :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Mandy27
Hello,

i'm in need of some help please, got a job offer to move from Glasgow to Cork. I am going to accept the offer and am excited about new chapter in my life, but there is so much i need to do, is it easy to bring my car over?? What about opening a new bank account?? also i am unaware of the housing area's. Plan to get a room somewhere until i find my feet, is there any area's i need to avoid?? sorry lots of question but if you could help me out i would be grateful

Mandy x
Congrats M check out further down and it you'll see about cars. If you've owned it longer than 6 months you wont get taxed (VRT) on bringing it in. (I think thats what they were saying).

Rental and buying houses below.

www.myhome.ie
www.daft.ie
Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Congrats M check out further down and it you'll see about cars. If you've owned it longer than 6 months you wont get taxed (VRT) on bringing it in. (I think thats what they were saying).

Rental and buying houses below.

www.myhome.ie
www.daft.ie
Thanks for that info x
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Gulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mandy27
is it easy to bring my car over??
Yes, you can drive over with it, we drive on the left!! LOL
as Londonuck says if you've owned the car for over 6 months there's no VRT, if less than 6 months you'll have to pay a percentage of the original cost of the car (even if you bought it second hand for £50)

What about opening a new bank account??
Go into a bank and tell them you want to open an account

also i am unaware of the housing area's. Plan to get a room somewhere until i find my feet, is there any area's i need to avoid?? sorry lots of question but if you could help me out i would be grateful
Hollyhill and Knocknaheeny are two areas of the city to avoid - well they used to be, things might have changed now. Be warned, rent is expensive in Cork!

If you can wait till the weekend I'll ask my sister-in-law (who's a Corkonian) for more info?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:46 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gulf Stream
Be warned, rent is expensive in Cork!
Not as bad a Dublin. I could cry looking at these prices!

At least you can live a few miles outside Cork and it gets cheaper. Dublin has a circumference of about 60 miles of mad prices.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Gulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to all

My American cousin couldn't believe the cost of houses in Dublin when he lived there for a year...

You'd probably be better off living outside of Cork and commuting to work there, traffic's mental in the city at any time of the day never mind rush hour

Redfm.ie is the local radio station which you can listen to online - particularly Cork Talks Back after 9pm
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks G, i'll give it a listen
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need an irish adress to open a bank account. You'll also need a PPS number for tax and other such things. Find out more about PPS numbers here http://www.welfare.ie/topics/ppsn/faq.html It's a good idea to get this asap after you arrive.
Btw,Try and get the bank to give you a Laser card (sort of like Electron but much more widely used here), they'll probably insist on giving you a cash card for a few months tho.

Enjoy the adventure, we crossed the water a few years ago and never looked back.

Last edited by BlueScottyGirl; Mar 27th 2008 at 10:01 pm. Reason: correcting info given
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BlueScottyGirl
You'll need an irish adress to open a bank account. You'll also need a PPS number for tax and other such things. Find out more about PPS numbers here http://www.welfare.ie/topics/ppsn/faq.html It's a good idea to get this asap after you arrive.
Btw,Try and get the bank to give you a Laser card (sort of like Electron but much more widely used here), they'll probably insist on giving you a cash card for a few months tho.

Enjoy the adventure, we crossed the water a few years ago and never looked back.
Thank you very much b, your info is a great help....looking forward to getting over and starting my new job and new life x
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Oh and for gawd's sakes get insurance for your car, it's illegal to drive without and they'll throw you in jail!