Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

living in the republic of ireland

living in the republic of ireland

Old Jan 16th 2007, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

wendykins is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry living in the republic of ireland

i have family in donegal and would like to live there,but is that aloud do i have to get in touch with the irish goverment or the english govement and ask permission,can i work there,can my kids go to school there,there are loads of things i need to know.
please help wendykins
Old Jan 16th 2007, 5:16 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: living in the republic of ireland

What nationality are you?
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Wink Re: living in the republic of ireland

im english,born in lancashire.wendykins
Old Jan 17th 2007, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Oasis is a useful website containing lots of info. re: health, schooling, benefits etc. etc. They have a section called 'Moving to Ireland' which may answer some questions. The website has recently moved to http://www.citizensinformation.ie/ca...ing-to-ireland
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wendykins
i have family in donegal and would like to live there,but is that aloud do i have to get in touch with the irish goverment or the english govement and ask permission,can i work there,can my kids go to school there,there are loads of things i need to know.
Co Donegal is part of the Republic of Ireland so is nothing to do with the British government (no such thing as an English government).

As British citizens, you and your children can immigrate freely to the Republic of Ireland if you wish. Bear in mind that it is a different country so be prepared for changes. Alternatively, you could consider moving to somewhere in Northern Ireland but you would have to choose the area well.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the advice guys.wendykins
Old Jan 19th 2007, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

As an EU citizen you are entitled (pretty much) to the same rights, benefits etc enjoyed by Irish citizens and, of course, do not require anybodies position to move there.

If you followed JAJ's advice and considered moving to Northern ireland (parts of which border Donegal) and went there on an exploratory trip, i would certainly be wary of asking peope there whether you need the permission of the "english government" to move to Donegal!! Especially in border areas!!

Ade S
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:31 am
Just Joined

thanks ade s
Old Mar 18th 2007, 4:23 am
After 10 years of trying

nohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nice

I agree, you should have no problem moving to the Republic of Ireland seeing as you are British and therefore part of the EU. I did so myself a couple years back and had no problem finding work in Dublin. Loved working in Dublin as the people there are lovely. Just be very careful about some of the smaller clan like towns if you chose to live in one. It can be quite the culture shock, and it's not always easy to get along with the locals (Only my opinion from experience)!

Ireland is absolutely gorgeous, and full of amazing things to see. If you like ancient historical monuments I highly highly recommend going to see Newgrange in county Meath. Absolutely incredible... Once in a lifetime kinda thing to see.
Here's a site:

http://www.mythicalireland.com/ancientsites/newgrange/
Old Mar 20th 2007, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

cbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nice

To disagree with poster above, we started off in dublin and i hated it and i come from a city. I know live down the country and could not be happier. Have not found any clannish behavior. Depends what you are after.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

chrisdnurse has a brilliant futurechrisdnurse has a brilliant futurechrisdnurse has a brilliant futurechrisdnurse has a brilliant futurechrisdnurse has a brilliant futurechrisdnurse has a brilliant future

Hi, Im from Donegal! Im 22 now, but moved to Donegal with my family when I was 12 from Glasgow. We had been to Donegal every summer and all holidays since I can remember...but moving there is sooo different than going there on holiday!!! We live in the gaeltacht part, so my younger sister had to go to an all-Irish speaking school. As I was in secondary school I went to an english speaking school. I really missed Glasgow when I moved but, I really loved living in Donegal. I had much more freedom. My wee sister found it hard at first with learning gaelic, shes now 20, and in her third year doing a degree in Irish in Dublin!!! I went to university in Derry and studied nursing and am now living and working in Belfat with my own baby!!!
The worst thing I would say about moving to Donegal was the fact that everything is quite far away. My dad had to move to Dublin for work, as you probably know there isnt much work as its so rural...so now my mum is living on her own untill the weekends when we all try to go back home. Its something you should think about!! Its also quite expensive. House prices are rising and planning permission can be quite strict.

Im on this site as Im hoping to move to Australia...... just sort of looking for info!
Let me know how you go!!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

cbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nice

Coincidences or what. I am originally from glasgow live in wexford and have just got aussie visa.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Ricardo Campos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello
I´m new in this Forum and I need some help. I´m Portuguese and I would like to work in Ireland or UK. I´m a Clinical Psychologist with 9 year experience and I have some doubts about moving out. My validation process is a little beat confuse and I don´t know the cost of living in UK or Ireland. I have a good life in Portugal but working here is not very good. That´s why I would like another diferent experience. How mutch I have to win to have a good life (house, car and money to travel) in UK and Ireland? Is 50.000€/year (with taxes maybe 30.000€) a good salary?

Ricardo Campos
Old Mar 24th 2007, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ricardo Campos
Hello
I´m new in this Forum and I need some help. I´m Portuguese and I would like to work in Ireland or UK. I´m a Clinical Psychologist with 9 year experience and I have some doubts about moving out. My validation process is a little beat confuse and I don´t know the cost of living in UK or Ireland. I have a good life in Portugal but working here is not very good. That´s why I would like another diferent experience. How mutch I have to win to have a good life (house, car and money to travel) in UK and Ireland? Is 50.000€/year (with taxes maybe 30.000€) a good salary?

Ricardo Campos

Euro30,000 a year is prob around £23,000-24,000. Thats prob the average wage in both countries but the typical wage is probably fair bit lower.

Cost of living in the UK and Republic of Ireland is high, so depends on yor circumstances ie family etc

Last edited by adiestubbs; Mar 24th 2007 at 3:13 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Ricardo Campos is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help.
Just one more question. In your opinion what is a good salary for or a couple with no kid (but only one working)? Dispite salary in Ireland and UK is highier, in Portugal you con live very well with 2000€/month. I have a car, a house and a very good quality of life. But the job.... organisation... planification... like you have we are decades behind.

Ricardo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.