Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Are the Irish very conservative on sexual issues?

Are the Irish very conservative on sexual issues?

Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:53 pm
Banned

Blackberry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are the Irish very conservative on sexual issues?

Out of order was it Londonuck? You're beginning to sound bitter - like you've got a chip on your shoulder or something......?!

See where I'm going with this.....?

Interesting how you and others find reasons to excuse others who have been offensive on here but all of a sudden I'm 'out of order'! Purleeeeze :curse:

You're right, it's not nice being on the receiving end of such bigotted comments and perhaps you'll now understand where I'm coming from!

This exact point is succinctly made by the very eloquent Barack Obama in his first autobiography 'Dreams From My Father' which you ought to read if you haven't already.

Food for thought I hope....
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:43 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackberry
Out of order was it Londonuck? You're beginning to sound bitter - like you've got a chip on your shoulder or something......?!

Interesting how you and others find reasons to excuse others who have been offensive on here but all of a sudden I'm 'out of order'! Purleeeeze :curse:

You're right, it's not nice being on the receiving end of such bigotted comments and perhaps you'll now understand where I'm coming from!

This exact point is succinctly made by the very eloquent Barack Obama in his first autobiography 'Dreams From My Father' which you ought to read if you haven't already.

As far as I can see it is you that has been offensive on this thread and the other one.
Please don`t turn the threads into racial bickering, if you can`t keep the posts on track then don`t post at all, thanks.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:51 pm
Banned

Blackberry is an unknown quantity at this point

Like it was me who took the thread off track was it??

I think my point has been made on my behalf!

Goodbye!

Last edited by Blackberry; Nov 27th 2008 at 1:56 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Like it was me who took the thread off track was it??

I think my point has been made on my behalf!

Goodbye!
Goodbye.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:09 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Abortion is illegal in Ireland - unless the mother is in danger of continuing on with the pregnancy.

Contraception used to be banned too but is not anymore and has been available for years.

Divorce is also now possible.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:30 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, im not the one with a chip. I have never been on the end of any bigotry here. I said i think i feel a chill from some people when they hear my accent but i also pointed out this could be my own slight paranoia.

How was I excusing anyone? I'd slap down any racism i hear. You were out of order agreeing with someone calling all westerners inbred. My wife's family come from Mayo so as far I was concerned you were referring to them, i took it personally, not to mention it being a tad hypocritical seeing as you were offended yourself by generalisations.

I will check out Barack's book cos i find the man an inspiration.

And p.s. I apologise for taking the thread off track.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:51 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

YankeemovingAbroad

do you want to move to Ireland ? and have you make up your list of the pros and cons

you list for FL and list for Ireland ?

you cost off doing shopping list in FL and Ireland

meat , soda , milk , bread , and so on next time you go to supermarket keep the list and fine out in ireland same list

going out the night cost from dinner to drink in FL and i do the same in Ireland

Fuel in FL so on

jurdy
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:32 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
As far as I can see it is you that has been offensive on this thread and the other one.
Please don`t turn the threads into racial bickering, if you can`t keep the posts on track then don`t post at all, thanks.
Jdr

Don't you think it only fair to hear all opinions regardless if they are the same or different to every poster on this site?I think its helpful to share differing ideas and experience.Does not make anyone here a bad person to be open minded.Let us all remember that every person matters.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:39 pm
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Off to the Sun
Hi Yankeemovingabroad, I've been reading this thread and I just wanted to make a couple of comments. Up to about the late 80's Ireland was a conservative country but this isn't true for the most part anymore. Ireland is no longer held to ransom by the Catholic Church - as a previous poster said the young people only go for weddings and funerals and I have to say I only know one person who attends regularly. A lot of this I feel stems from the church's complete dislike for women (thats my reason for not attending) and the sex scandals. They do still have a lot of input in schools but I don't see this continuing. Multi denominational education is available in most urban areas. Contraception is freely available and people know they won't go to hell for using condoms. I went to a catholic school and from late primary we had sex education (this was the late 80's) so we are sex savvy!. Most of us girls are pretty sexually liberated too - we have had Ann Summers (naughty shop in case you didn't know!) and the like for years. I do find that Irish people don't speak like the Sex and the City girls on a daily basis but give them a few bottles of wine and you could be very shocked
Cities and towns in Ireland are now very multicultural, we have a lot of Chinese, Eastern Europeans and Africans which have been here for some time but really only in the last 10 years have we had this mass immigration so we are still getting used to it. Although saying that Chinese people seem to have been here forever - Irish love their Chinese food. Most of the ethnic groups in Ireland I've found tend to stay within their own groups - same could be said for ethnic groups anywhere else on the planet - people like the familiar and our immigrants are no different. I don't think Irish people are racist but if you live in the arsehole of nowhere (like Blackberry seems to have done) a little curiosity must be expected. If a black person moved to deepest say Alabama you should know the people aren't going to be as worldly as people who live in towns. I'm not saying there are no bigots of course there are but I don't think its a country wide problem. Sorry for the long post I hope its helped.
Thank you for your thoughtful post.Its very reassuring to read the experience of someone who grew up in Ireland.I do want to visit one day.If 10% of the Irish are half as cool as Bono my time there is sure to be memorable.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 6:15 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Jdr

Don't you think it only fair to hear all opinions regardless if they are the same or different to every poster on this site?I think its helpful to share differing ideas and experience.Does not make anyone here a bad person to be open minded.Let us all remember that every person matters.
Debate is fine, but when they provoke and cry racism about one word against themselves, then go on to post it themselves and even cut and paste racist stuff from other sites, then the line has to be drawn.
Abide by the site rules and everything will be fine. ;-)
Old Nov 28th 2008, 7:31 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Thank you for your thoughtful post.Its very reassuring to read the experience of someone who grew up in Ireland.I do want to visit one day.If 10% of the Irish are half as cool as Bono my time there is sure to be memorable.
Well if you're picked up at Dublin airport by a London accented cab driver, remember, the Irish are massssssive tippers, ok?
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Well if you're picked up at Dublin airport by a London accented cab driver, remember, the Irish are massssssive tippers, ok?
One of the very cool things about living in the New York area were all the people from around the world living there.I often would come across someone from Dublin or other city of Ireland.Don't know if its a Irish trait but more often than not they usually were quite the charmers.Some time I do miss the international flair of new york/new jersey.But the weather report always bring me back to my senses

Btw,we new jersey/new yorkers tip very well its in the culture.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:48 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Off to the Sun
Hi Yankeemovingabroad, I've been reading this thread and I just wanted to make a couple of comments. Up to about the late 80's Ireland was a conservative country but this isn't true for the most part anymore. Ireland is no longer held to ransom by the Catholic Church - as a previous poster said the young people only go for weddings and funerals and I have to say I only know one person who attends regularly. A lot of this I feel stems from the church's complete dislike for women (thats my reason for not attending) and the sex scandals. They do still have a lot of input in schools but I don't see this continuing. Multi denominational education is available in most urban areas. Contraception is freely available and people know they won't go to hell for using condoms. I went to a catholic school and from late primary we had sex education (this was the late 80's) so we are sex savvy!. Most of us girls are pretty sexually liberated too - we have had Ann Summers (naughty shop in case you didn't know!) and the like for years. I do find that Irish people don't speak like the Sex and the City girls on a daily basis but give them a few bottles of wine and you could be very shocked
Cities and towns in Ireland are now very multicultural, we have a lot of Chinese, Eastern Europeans and Africans which have been here for some time but really only in the last 10 years have we had this mass immigration so we are still getting used to it. Although saying that Chinese people seem to have been here forever - Irish love their Chinese food. Most of the ethnic groups in Ireland I've found tend to stay within their own groups - same could be said for ethnic groups anywhere else on the planet - people like the familiar and our immigrants are no different. I don't think Irish people are racist but if you live in the arsehole of nowhere (like Blackberry seems to have done) a little curiosity must be expected. If a black person moved to deepest say Alabama you should know the people aren't going to be as worldly as people who live in towns. I'm not saying there are no bigots of course there are but I don't think its a country wide problem. Sorry for the long post I hope its helped.
I agree,
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:03 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Mate, im not the one with a chip. I have never been on the end of any bigotry here. I said i think i feel a chill from some people when they hear my accent but i also pointed out this could be my own slight paranoia.

How was I excusing anyone? I'd slap down any racism i hear. You were out of order agreeing with someone calling all westerners inbred. My wife's family come from Mayo so as far I was concerned you were referring to them, i took it personally, not to mention it being a tad hypocritical seeing as you were offended yourself by generalisations.

I will check out Barack's book cos i find the man an inspiration.I agree

And p.s. I apologise for taking the thread off track.
karma sent

I'm glad to see its all been dealt with by the mods, so don't want to say to much now but I felt the same as you
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 9:20 pm
Banned

I like it when everyone get along with one another.Must be the middle child mentality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.