Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Irish slang/sayings and their meanings

Irish slang/sayings and their meanings

Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:58 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all
Default Re: Irish slang/sayings and their meanings

Class (excellent)
Bad cess to you (bad luck to you).

Last edited by Joe-Soap; Feb 25th 2013 at 6:00 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:44 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

A cup of scald (tea)
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 3:38 pm
Banned

Herself (my Wife)
Himself (my Husband)
Acting the maggot (being a pain in the arse)
Mighty (excellent)
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 3:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by nolanger
frigger-small glass ornament
runners-sneakers
thongs-hair curlers
amadawn-fool
skanger-chav
Here's a funny think about runners;
Reebok's have a little Union flag on theirs, and wearers of the them in Cork black out the little flags with a black marker pen. They really hate Britain in the peoples republic of Cork.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
Here's a funny think about runners;
Reebok's have a little Union flag on theirs, and wearers of the them in Cork black out the little flags with a black marker pen. They really hate Britain in the peoples republic of Cork.
Can they not buy another brand of "runner"?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sickntired
Can they not buy another brand of "runner"?
That's exactly what I was thinking. Its madness. The thing is, I think they do it deliberately as a statement of bigotry to Great Britain. It would be the same as defacing the Queen's head on a British bank note. Corkonians see themselves as the Irish elite. The peoples Republic of Cork. They think Cork is the number one capital city in Ireland; not Dublin.
I see it like this, Cork Republicans are like a mirror image of the Loyalists in Belfast. They take their cultural apartheid, sectarianism, bigotry, and hatred to the extreme.
I am a Republican, but I don't feel the need to black out the Union flag on a pair of runners. What will that change? Nothing.
You would think they could just wear a pair of Nike or Adidas and get over it wouldn't you? But these are real Irish people, doing this for real.
I suppose they have to make these overt political statements to back up their Celtic football shirt wearing, and singing Wolfe Tones rebel songs.
This kind of armchair Republicanism in Ireland means nothing to me, and I am a Plastic Paddy.
Best of luck to anyone moving to Cork is all I can say..
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:18 am
Account Closed

That's exactly what I was thinking. Its madness. The thing is, I think they do it deliberately as a statement of bigotry to Great Britain. It would be the same as defacing the Queen's head on a British bank note. Corkonians see themselves as the Irish elite. The peoples Republic of Cork. They think Cork is the number one capital city in Ireland; not Dublin.
I see it like this, Cork Republicans are like a mirror image of the Loyalists in Belfast. They take their cultural apartheid, sectarianism, bigotry, and hatred to the extreme.
I am a Republican, but I don't feel the need to black out the Union flag on a pair of runners. What will that change? Nothing.
You would think they could just wear a pair of Nike or Adidas and get over it wouldn't you? But these are real Irish people, doing this for real.
I suppose they have to make these overt political statements to back up their Celtic football shirt wearing, and singing Wolfe Tones rebel songs.
This kind of armchair Republicanism in Ireland means nothing to me, and I am a Plastic Paddy.
Best of luck to anyone moving to Cork is all I can say..
Up in certain areas of Belfast the Royal Mail vans would get stoned. So the postman would tape over the "Royal" part and he would not have his van stoned. The same people would then tootle off to the post office to cash their unemployment cheques. They were only "anti" when it suited them to be.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:06 pm
Banned

Up in certain areas of Belfast the Royal Mail vans would get stoned. So the postman would tape over the "Royal" part and he would not have his van stoned. The same people would then tootle off to the post office to cash their unemployment cheques. They were only "anti" when it suited them to be.
That's actually true. The Falls Road in West Belfast is a no go area for Traffic Wardens. One can park where one likes on double yellow lines no problem. The Postmen do actually do that there. Its mad. But you are right, every one of those people that throw rocks and petrol bombs hold the Queen closest to their heart when they put their dole money in their breast pocket. Many of them were born after the Troubles and don't know any Irish history. They are just sheep, fake Republicans wearing a Celtic shirt and throwing petrol bombs at an armoured Tangi Land Rover to let off steam. I have personally seen the riots in the Ardoyne and the Newtownards roads, in Nationalist and Loyalist Belfast. The funny thing is, when you look at the so called Nationalists and Loyalists throwing rocks and petrol bombs at the PSNI, they are the same. They just grew up on different sides of the tracks, or in this case; different sides of the peace walls. Some of the murals on the houses and peace walls are great though. There is some political history recorded on many of them.
The sad thing is many of the people in the North are suffering with post traumatic stress disorder after the Troubles. It has the highest prescription rate of diazepan (valium) in the whole of the UK. Its very telling. You have 6 counties of paranoid, wired, edgy pill poppers up there; all ready to kick off at any time. I was in Belfast (doing some cheap Christmas shopping) when the Council took down the Union flag over Belfast City Hall, and they had to close the Christmas market due to all the Loyalists rioting. It cost the local economy millions. The irony is that the rest of the UK don't want the Loyalists in the North. They are just a drain on the UK tax payer. Imagine being loyal to a country that doesn't want you? Its like being a Plastic Paddy in Ireland these days.

Last edited by Joe-Soap; Mar 3rd 2013 at 5:11 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:22 pm
Banned

Speaking of the North, here are some sayings/slang from the lovely 6 counties:
Peeler (Policeman)
Blocked (Drunk)
Brew (Dole Office, it comes from the word Bureau)
Gulleys (trainers)
Rubbered (stoned on drugs)
Wagon (nice car)
Teague (Catholic)
Prod (Protestant)
Hun (Protestant)
Current Bun (Hun, as above)
Rocket (someone who likes to party)
Header (mentally ill person)
Window licker (Mentally ill person)
Tout (Police informant)
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:36 pm
Banned

Town (Dublin City Centre)
What part of Dublin do you live in? Town.
It would be easier just to ask them; Do you drink Lyons tea?
So you live in the South side of the City then.
I had a D4 (Dublin 4) girl shocked when I asked her would she like a mug of Barry's Gold blend. Oh no, that's what they drink in Cork isn't it? She replied.
Have you got any Lyons fruit teas? Sorry, I don't drink lesbian tea love, I replied.
D4 girls are a different breed of Irish. Plastic Californian's.
Chanel handbags, Christian Laboutin Shoes, iphone 4s', and Lyon's tea.
The fake accent is the worse thing though..

Last edited by Joe-Soap; Mar 10th 2013 at 5:38 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:04 am
Account Closed

Town (Dublin City Centre)
What part of Dublin do you live in? Town.
It would be easier just to ask them; Do you drink Lyons tea?
So you live in the South side of the City then.
I had a D4 (Dublin 4) girl shocked when I asked her would she like a mug of Barry's Gold blend. Oh no, that's what they drink in Cork isn't it? She replied.
Have you got any Lyons fruit teas? Sorry, I don't drink lesbian tea love, I replied.
D4 girls are a different breed of Irish. Plastic Californian's.
Chanel handbags, Christian Laboutin Shoes, iphone 4s', and Lyon's tea.
The fake accent is the worse thing though..
As for accents Senator David Norris takes some beating - don't know about a "plum in the mouth", sounds more like he's something jammed up his hole.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:59 pm
Banned

As for accents Senator David Norris takes some beating - don't know about a "plum in the mouth", sounds more like he's something jammed up his hole.
Agreed.
Nothing worse than listening to a gay Protestant Irish man, with a posh English accent. I can't stand listening to him.
Another one I cant stand is Rachel Allen with her fake D4 accent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZpADo1LwcY
They really are the shame of Ireland, dreadful accents.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

nolanger is an unknown quantity at this point

Pakie is not racist in Ireland. It's another name for Patrick or Pascal.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 7:34 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=nolanger;10597624]Pakie is not racist in Ireland. It's another name for Patrick or Pascal.[/QUOTE

True, but there is a difference in the spelling;
Paki (Pakistani)
Packie (Patrick)
As in the Irish footballer, Packie Bonner
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packie_Bonner
Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

Agreed.
Nothing worse than listening to a gay Protestant Irish man, with a posh English accent. I can't stand listening to him.
Another one I cant stand is Rachel Allen with her fake D4 accent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZpADo1LwcY
They really are the shame of Ireland, dreadful accents.
At least Rachel Allen is easy on the eye, and she can shoot and cook.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.