Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Irish Citizenship by descent

Irish Citizenship by descent

Old Aug 19th 2016, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Ling_Noi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Irish Citizenship by descent

I have a couple of questions about obtaining Irish citizenship by descent.

So the timeline for my family:

Great-grandfather: Born in Ireland in the 19th century (we are digging up records now)
Grandfather: Born in Liverpool, England
Father: Born in Liverpool, England
Me: Born in Liverpool, England

I think my dad qualifies based on the grandparent rule but I don't because my dad didn't register on the Foreign Birth Register before I was born.

So I assume that my kids will also not qualify because my dad, whilst an Irish citizen by descent is not a Irish citizen born in Ireland. So the grandfather rule doesn't apply.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm massively disappointed as I would have loved to have picked up an Irish passport and given the option to my kids.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 11:06 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish Citizenship by descent

Originally Posted by Ling_Noi
I have a couple of questions about obtaining Irish citizenship by descent.

So the timeline for my family:

Great-grandfather: Born in Ireland in the 19th century (we are digging up records now)
Grandfather: Born in Liverpool, England
Father: Born in Liverpool, England
Me: Born in Liverpool, England

I think my dad qualifies based on the grandparent rule but I don't because my dad didn't register on the Foreign Birth Register before I was born.

So I assume that my kids will also not qualify because my dad, whilst an Irish citizen by descent is not a Irish citizen born in Ireland. So the grandfather rule doesn't apply.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm massively disappointed as I would have loved to have picked up an Irish passport and given the option to my kids.
You're right. I'm your grandfather (in terms of citizenship lol). I haven't got my kids onto the FBR yet, but I'm in the middle of the paperwork. As they are still at primary, there is no immediate rush, but they do need to be on the FBR before they have their own kids.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 2:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish Citizenship by descent

The current generation has to be registered before the next generation is born so whilst your father would qualify for registration through his grandfather you would not as your father did not register before you were born and therefore the 'chain' is broken. This means that you and any subsequent generations, including your children, are not eligible.