Reload this Page >

IMMIGRATING TO IRELAND FROM SA BUT BRITISH PASSPORT HOLDERS

IMMIGRATING TO IRELAND FROM SA BUT BRITISH PASSPORT HOLDERS

Old Feb 10th 2016, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Tracym01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IMMIGRATING TO IRELAND FROM SA BUT BRITISH PASSPORT HOLDERS

Good day,

Can you kindly assist with some queries.
My Parents are thinking of immigrating to Ireland. They immigrated from the UK to South African in the 70s and are now looking at moving to Ireland. My Dad receives a British Pension as well as they have their South African Pension here.

What are the Pro's and Con's for Ireland. Would they be better off in Ireland than UK.

My Dad has an existing condition Rheumatoid Arthritis. The age of my parents at the moment is Dad: 65 and my Mum 62. How would the medical work for them and do they have to pay EUR400 a month for medication?

They would also like to purchase a house - as a pensioner would they receive any discounts?

Transport - do they still have to pay for the buses or would they receive a Pensioners Bus pass.

As EU Passport holders are they entitled to any benefits in Ireland.

Reason for going to Ireland as my Family and I are heading that way in April and would like to know where it would be best for them to settle.

Thank you to all for your assistance.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IMMIGRATING TO IRELAND FROM SA BUT BRITISH PASSPORT HOLDERS

Originally Posted by Tracym01
Good day, Can you kindly assist with some queries. My Parents are thinking of immigrating to Ireland. They immigrated from the UK to South African in the 70s and are now looking at moving to Ireland. My Dad receives a British Pension as well as they have their South African Pension here. What are the Pro's and Con's for Ireland. Would they be better off in Ireland than UK. My Dad has an existing condition Rheumatoid Arthritis. The age of my parents at the moment is Dad: 65 and my Mum 62. How would the medical work for them and do they have to pay EUR400 a month for medication? They would also like to purchase a house - as a pensioner would they receive any discounts? Transport - do they still have to pay for the buses or would they receive a Pensioners Bus pass. As EU Passport holders are they entitled to any benefits in Ireland. Reason for going to Ireland as my Family and I are heading that way in April and would like to know where it would be best for them to settle. Thank you to all for your assistance.
The Ireland forum hasn't been very active recently and as always, it's personal experience. Ireland can work out better for some, or can be worse and really depends on the individual and what they expect.
Unfortunately we have had a few negative posters here, but Ireland is always in the top ten for several topics when it comes to Better Life Index, so it can't be that bad.Irish rank highly for quality of life in EU, survey finds

One thing that keeps coming up is Health Care. Depending on threshold, some might qualify for medical card, but then you are limited to public hospitals and like the UK, some hospitals will have longer waiting times.If you have the money and saved in other areas (housing cost), it's always good to have private health plan.

Senior Care Blog and Information > The Essential Guide to Benefits and Entitlements for Older People in Ireland The most important links are here: Health careFree Travel in IrelandRetiring to IrelandRetiring to Ireland
Old Feb 10th 2016, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

If both your parents are British Citizens, moving to Northern Ireland (NI) appears to be a better idea given your dad's health issue.

NI, as part of the UK, is covered by the NHS. Yes, there are long waiting times for some NHS services, but at lease you do not need to pay upfront for it.

Regarding bus passes, the rule for NI differs from the Republic. Please see link below for the scheme in NI -

Free and concessionary bus and rail travel | nidirect
Old Feb 11th 2016, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKG3
If both your parents are British Citizens, moving to Northern Ireland (NI) appears to be a better idea given your dad's health issue. NI, as part of the UK, is covered by the NHS. Yes, there are long waiting times for some NHS services, but at lease you do not need to pay upfront for it. Regarding bus passes, the rule for NI differs from the Republic. Please see link below for the scheme in NI - Free and concessionary bus and rail travel | nidirect
But what difference would it make? They are still covered by the NHS if they live in the Republic and Belfast is only around the corner. Each case is different, but you'd have to look at more factors. Even if you don't have private healthcare in Ireland & don't have a medical card, the maximum you would pay for any treatment in 1 year is capped at €750 + you still have the option to go to the UK.
This could also make sense for families: Drugs Payment Scheme

As a family and depending on finances, it might make mores sense to get private health insurance through work and you would avoid public waiting lists + have more choices.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Residents of the Irish Republic are entitled to use the NHS in the North ? I do not think so.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scot47
Residents of the Irish Republic are entitled to use the NHS in the North ? I do not think so.

If you are living in an EEA country or Switzerland and you receive a UK State Pension or long-term Incapacity Benefit, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You'll need to apply for a certificate of entitlement also known as an S1 form. If you are living in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland then the form is called E121.You can apply for your form via the International Pension Centre on 0191 218 7777. Once issued, register the S1/E121 form with the relevant authority abroad. Often you need to do this before you can register with a GP surgery or obtain a medical card. Once you have registered your S1/E121 in the country you are moving to, you will be entitled to apply for and use a UK-issued EHIC to access state-funded necessary medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries.

Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Moses2013
If you are living in an EEA country or Switzerland and you receive a UK State Pension or long-term Incapacity Benefit, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You'll need to apply for a certificate of entitlement also known as an S1 form. If you are living in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland then the form is called E121.You can apply for your form via the International Pension Centre on 0191 218 7777. Once issued, register the S1/E121 form with the relevant authority abroad. Often you need to do this before you can register with a GP surgery or obtain a medical card. Once you have registered your S1/E121 in the country you are moving to, you will be entitled to apply for and use a UK-issued EHIC to access state-funded necessary medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries.
Saying that, it only counts if you receive a State Pension from the UK. What has changed?You can now no longer apply for a residual S1 (formerly residual E106), which previously provided temporary healthcare to early retirees moving to other EEA countries. The question would be if they have a British State Pension??????

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 11th 2016 at 1:26 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You are not seriously suggesting that I can live in the Republic and register with a GP in Ulster ? Do not mislead people.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You are not seriously suggesting that I can live in the Republic and register with a GP in Ulster ? Do not mislead people.
Anybody should do their own research, but it's all here:The NHS website also has a FAQ page explaining who is entitled to NHS treatmentSome people who are not resident in the UK are eligible for free hospital treatment under the NHS should they need it during their visit. They include:
  • EU/EEA and Swiss nationals, refugees or stateless persons living in an EU country or in Switzerland, or non-EU nationals who live in an EU state and pay national insurance contributions there
  • Persons who live abroad, but receive a UK state pension, and who have lived in the UK for at least ten years in the past
  • Persons who have lived in the UK for at least ten years in the past, but now live in an EU/EEA country or in a non-EU country with which the UK has a reciprocal agreement
  • Nationals or residents of some non-EU countries with which the UK has a reciprocal agreement

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 11th 2016 at 1:55 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One thing to note is that you should not abuse the system (as many do), but if you are receiving a UK State Pension and have paid your taxes to qualify, you certainly have the right.
Holders of a valid UK Pensioner S1 form living in an EEA country or SwitzerlandIf you are in receipt of a UK pension and have registered a valid UK S1 form with the relevant authorities in your country of residence, and your healthcare is paid for by the UK by virtue that S1 form, then you are now entitled to return to England to receive free NHS hospital treatment, just like someone who is ordinarily resident in England.

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 11th 2016 at 3:21 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I would be interested in seeing a link to NHS stating that.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Anybody should do their own research, but it's all here:The NHS website also has a FAQ page explaining who is entitled to NHS treatmentSome people who are not resident in the UK are eligible for free hospital treatment under the NHS should they need it during their visit. They include:
  • EU/EEA and Swiss nationals, refugees or stateless persons living in an EU country or in Switzerland, or non-EU nationals who live in an EU state and pay national insurance contributions there
  • Persons who live abroad, but receive a UK state pension, and who have lived in the UK for at least ten years in the past
  • Persons who have lived in the UK for at least ten years in the past, but now live in an EU/EEA country or in a non-EU country with which the UK has a reciprocal agreement
  • Nationals or residents of some non-EU countries with which the UK has a reciprocal agreement
Moses2013 - The Department of Health clearly stated that in order to receive free NHS health care, a person needs to be Ordinary Resident in the UK. (para 1 of the document below) and 'British Citizens who are no longer living and settled in the UK cannot be said to be Ordinarily Resident in the UK' (para 5).

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...esident-uk.pdf

As Moses2013 said, Belfast is only around the corner, so why spend time and effect to apply for the S1 form in the Irish Republic when you can get NHS by living in Northern Ireland.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses wants us to believe that you can live in County Donegal but use the NHS in Derry.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses wants us to believe that you can live in County Donegal but use the NHS in Derry.
What's your point? I'm just posting what it states on UK government websites. There are plenty of people with UK State pensions moaning, but they probably never bothered filling out a S1 form, or did they actually ring the International Pension Centre?

I live and work in Ireland and am not a pensioner, but even I can go to any GP I like, be it with my health insurance provider, or using the EHIC.If I need a hip replacement, I can even go to the Netherlands if I wish and my GP/consultant just needs to sign the letter. It's like the S2 routeThe S2 route explained - Treatment abroad - NHS Choices

I wouldn't see the benefits driving to the North if you have a good service locally, but if it's covered it's covered. What's the difference if you go to Donegal or Derry if you're entitled? It's always easy to complain.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HKG3
Moses2013 - The Department of Health clearly stated that in order to receive free NHS health care, a person needs to be Ordinary Resident in the UK. (para 1 of the document below) and 'British Citizens who are no longer living and settled in the UK cannot be said to be Ordinarily Resident in the UK' (para 5). https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...esident-uk.pdf As Moses2013 said, Belfast is only around the corner, so why spend time and effect to apply for the S1 form in the Irish Republic when you can get NHS by living in Northern Ireland.
You are talking about ordinary resident, however if you receive a State Pension it's a different story.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...ns-to-nhs-care
UK state pensioners who live elsewhere in the EEA will now have the same rights to NHS care as people who live in England. This applies to all pensioners who receive a UK state retirement pension and registered for healthcare in Europe with an S1 form

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 12th 2016 at 8:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.