Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

I Miss Ireland sooooooo Much :(

I Miss Ireland sooooooo Much :(

Old May 29th 2009, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

longforhome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I Miss Ireland sooooooo Much :(

We lived in San Francisco for 10+ years and moved back to Ireland last year with our 2 year old. We came back at the worst possible time in the recession and I had a job for 6 months (lost it in Dec) and my wife couldn't find work at all. It was very tough settling in and feeling hopeless.

We decided to move back to SF this year after less than 12 months as I was offered a great job back here. We were running out of money and didn't feel like we had much of a choice. It was a tough decision.

I came back on my own last week and my wife and son are arriving in 2 weeks.

However I feel so lonely and that maybe it was a huge mistake. I feel so depressed and that I have left my family down. God it's such a terrible feeling. Now that I'm back I realize how much of a wonderful place Ireland really is and that I've torn my little boy away from his extended family etc.

I don't know how I'm going to get through this. I'm at an all-time low
Old May 30th 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

so pleased to find so many people in the same boat as myself. i have my house in spain up for sale,i want to go back "home". was born in blackrock many years ago,left there when i finished school in st.john the baptist boys school at 15 and have lived in a variety of countries ever since. but i have always remembered home and missed it badly. never thought i could afford it though but found the property inland and off the west coast much cheaper. most of my family are still in ireland,dun laoghaire and wexford mainly and it will be great to see my brothers and sisters whenever i want to. also i can visit my parents grave in glasnevin cemetary. no country can touch ireland for the people and the living. so all you out there who are trying to sell up to move back "home", chin up, it will happen,and when it does,it will be all the sweeter.
Old May 31st 2009, 7:34 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by longforhome
We lived in San Francisco for 10+ years and moved back to Ireland last year with our 2 year old. We came back at the worst possible time in the recession and I had a job for 6 months (lost it in Dec) and my wife couldn't find work at all. It was very tough settling in and feeling hopeless.

We decided to move back to SF this year after less than 12 months as I was offered a great job back here. We were running out of money and didn't feel like we had much of a choice. It was a tough decision.

I came back on my own last week and my wife and son are arriving in 2 weeks.

However I feel so lonely and that maybe it was a huge mistake. I feel so depressed and that I have left my family down. God it's such a terrible feeling. Now that I'm back I realize how much of a wonderful place Ireland really is and that I've torn my little boy away from his extended family etc.

I don't know how I'm going to get through this. I'm at an all-time low
You will and it will make you stronger how does your Wife feel explain to her your feelings its not to late to change your minds now. its always a tough decision leaving and I think an even harder returning home. may be when your wife and son arrives you'll feel better. I'm sorry I haven't better advice for you. I just hope it all works out for you
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

HoopHoop is on a distinguished road

Hope things work out for you longfromhome.
Its just the pits back here at the moment, as far as jobs go, and cant see
it getting much better. I know there are more important things, like
health and family, but it can really get you down too when your not working.
I think if you have a good job to go back to, things could work out well
for you, and who knows when things pick up, then you could try coming home again.

Take care
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Grace O Malley;6478331]LOL

My non Irish friends laugh at me when I do dinner as I do roast spuds and mashed spuds, they cant get why I do both.

Ha ha, that reminds me of when I was visiting some family in Lanesboro. My cousin took us to a Cafe/Restaurant, we were all sat there with piles of spuds on our plates and she said " I'll get some chips to go with the food". I couldn't move for two days with potato overload.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:34 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=manc1;7738884]
Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
LOL

My non Irish friends laugh at me when I do dinner as I do roast spuds and mashed spuds, they cant get why I do both.

Ha ha, that reminds me of when I was visiting some family in Lanesboro. My cousin took us to a Cafe/Restaurant, we were all sat there with piles of spuds on our plates and she said " I'll get some chips to go with the food". I couldn't move for two days with potato overload.
Sat outside a Starbucks in Florida a few weeks ago chatting to two old Italian American fellas. They were like a double act. One said he got invited to an Irish dinner party, 7 courses - A 6 pack and a potato. Did make us laugh.

Badda bing badda boom
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=manc1;7738884]
Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
LOL

ha ha this is good

was at home for a couple of weeks and my mam's best friend came over for a holiday.

We were preparing dinner and realized there were no spuds, so off we go to the garden to dig some up, we couldnt find any in the ridges, she says oh **** it, lets have chips