Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

How will Dublin receive an English man?

How will Dublin receive an English man?

Old Jun 19th 2012, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Paul234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How will Dublin receive an English man?

Hi all

My main question is what sort of experiences have British expats had from trying to get on with Irish peeps especially in Dublin?

I appreciate this is a general question only in my recent experiences I have found it to be difficult to fit in. I suppose I felt like an alien - is this fuelled by the Irish dislike for the English? And is it very common?

My background: I am planning to move to Ireland for love (ahhh). I already know how hard the job market is but this is worth me trying. My mum is Irish but I have a British accent. I have been to Dublin twice and Galway many many times.

On my recent visits to Dublin I have to say I did not feel that well received at times, mainly I feel because of my accent. 60 percent fine 40 percent not. I find it difficult to deal with coming from London where people generally are very welcoming to foreigners and there is diversity. I found Dublin tricky because it seems not to be diverse, you have to drink lots and if you dont like rugby it could be difficult to fit in.

I don't mean to make sweeping judgments but I am only commenting on my brief experiences in Dublin and would appreciate people's comments on whether they agree or not.

Thanks

Paul
Old Jun 19th 2012, 2:20 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How will Dublin receive an English man?

Originally Posted by Paul234
Hi all

My main question is what sort of experiences have British expats had from trying to get on with Irish peeps especially in Dublin?

I appreciate this is a general question only in my recent experiences I have found it to be difficult to fit in. I suppose I felt like an alien - is this fuelled by the Irish dislike for the English? And is it very common?

My background: I am planning to move to Ireland for love (ahhh). I already know how hard the job market is but this is worth me trying. My mum is Irish but I have a British accent. I have been to Dublin twice and Galway many many times.

On my recent visits to Dublin I have to say I did not feel that well received at times, mainly I feel because of my accent. 60 percent fine 40 percent not. I find it difficult to deal with coming from London where people generally are very welcoming to foreigners and there is diversity. I found Dublin tricky because it seems not to be diverse, you have to drink lots and if you dont like rugby it could be difficult to fit in.

I don't mean to make sweeping judgments but I am only commenting on my brief experiences in Dublin and would appreciate people's comments on whether they agree or not.

Thanks

Paul
I'm actually surprised by that, the Irish are in general a friendly nation, we tend to like a lot of people we shouldn't. I'm not saying you won't fit in but if you think we'd care what accent you have then you're mistaken, you'll be fine, we all have some sort of accent and i'm not keen on Rugby and i've never found alcohol that appealing, sad but true... Give it a go, you'll be grand so you will you will, bejesus.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 2:40 am
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

I am London-Irish or plastic paddy as some people like to call us.
I live in Dublin, and have a London accent; so I feel I am in a good position to advise you.
Dublin is multi-cultural, like any European capital city. Up until the 1980's there was a hatred for the English, but now it's rare to find any bigotry. The Queen's visit has actually done a lot to build bridges between Britain and Ireland.
You will find that many Dubliner's support English Premier League football clubs; Chelsea, Manchester United, and Liverpool have a massive fan base.
I don't have any problem with my London accent in Dublin. It's not as cosmopolitan as London in Dublin, but there is a high immigrant population; so your English accent will go largely unnoticed. There are many Brazilians, and Eastern Europeans in Dublin now. You are as likely to here their accents on the street as a Dublin one. You will experience some anti English bigotry in the smaller towns and villages of Ireland, but its rare in Dublin though. There are many British tourists coming to Dublin, so people are well used to the accent. The Dublin girls in my house all watch English soaps like; Coronation Street and Eastenders. They actually like the London accent.
As long as you don't wear an England football shirt, or Union Jack t-shirt walking down Grafton Street, you wont get any trouble.
You will find that telling people your Mother is Irish will soon change any hostility you may experience.
I get taken for being English all the time, but when I tell people my parents are Irish, and my name; they just stereotype you as a plastic paddy, or second-generation Irish, and you don't have any problems.
The American-Irish have a harder time being accepted though. You will find more anti-American sentiment than anything else. You will get a lot of American-Irish tourists in Dublin who had a great, great, great Grandfather who was Irish, and they think they are more Irish than the Irish.
Then you have the new Irish. Refugees and asylum seekers who have attained Irish citizenship after 6 years. They have an Irish passport, and think they are Irish. You will find that they are not liked by the Irish born.
My advice is not to be paranoid about your accent, its no problem at all.
If you were living in a border area between the North and Republic, people might be more sensitive about it. Say you lived in South Armagh or West Belfast (nationalist areas), then people still associate the accent with the British soldiers during The Troubles.
What you have to remember is that much of The Pale (Dublin) has English influences, from the Georgian architecture through to the culture. There was a high Protestant population in Dublin, and you will still hear many British accents and names there.
The Irish hate themselves more than any other race.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

How would they treat a black face? Just curious as you rarely see any in their sports teams or even among their supporters.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:51 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mentalist
How would they treat a black face? J
With suspicion bordering on contempt.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 1:48 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul234
Hi all

Thanks

Paul
Diversity maybe, but as an Englishman I find London to be the most unfriendly unwelcoming place in the UK. They welcome you if you are giving them money, but thats about it
Old Jun 19th 2012, 2:55 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Diversity maybe, but as an Englishman I find London to be the most unfriendly unwelcoming place in the UK. They welcome you if you are giving them money, but thats about it
Let's be fair - London is one of the great capital cities of the world and you wouldn't really call any of the others, such as New York and Paris,friendly either.

Dublin's problem is that it's always been a dirty,scuzzy sort of place with really bad inner city problems.There's a huge problem with drugs there and street robbery and casual violence are major problems.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

I'm English born and bred, moved to Ireland (Dublin) for love (like you). I don't like Rugby (can't understand it) don't go out drinking and I'm the only person where I work with the Cross of St George and the Union Jack flying on my desk amongst all the Irish flags for Euro 2012. I've been here for over 5 years now and can't say that I've noticed any form of bigotry to me at all.

When I first came over to visit my wife I had an impression that if I spoke and people recognised an English accent 10 minutes later an van would pull up at the side of me and I'd be dragged into it never to be seen again or I'd be stoned (not drug wise) walking down the road. I've found I couldn't have been more wrong.

I think expecting people to react to you because you have an English accent is all part of the English psyche. Just forget about it, act normally, speak to people normally, get used to the Irish sayings - What's the story, grand, bold and NOW!!! (when you get your change at the counter in most shops) and enjoy life over here, it's much more relaxed and laid back.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice

In somewhere like Dublin you might find people (men especially) are a bit ignorant, but in Galway no way! I lived in Galway for years (i'm Irish) and it's the nicest friendliest city! There seems to be a misconception that the Irish dont like the English, but dont forget...alot of Irish feel the same way when they go to England! I have tonnes of english friends and we get on great! It's the 21st century...most of us have moved on!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixieve
It's the 21st century...most of us have moved on!
Unless the visitor happens to be from an ethnic minority, according to Cuthbert

Last edited by mentalist; Jun 21st 2012 at 7:36 am.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:55 am
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

The Irish are now the ethnic minority in Ireland.
They are fast being outnumbered by Brazilians and Eastern Europeans.
I hear more foreign accents on the Dart to work than I do Irish ones these days.
It's a sign of the times with mass emigration due to the recession.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:08 am
Banned

Racism a 'fact of life' for migrants - study

The Immigrant Council of Ireland has said that racism is an everyday fact of life for migrants in this country and people must do more to challenge those who engage in racist behaviour in public settings.

The Council has launched a research report entitled 'Taking Racism Seriously: Migrants' Experiences of Violence, Harassment and Anti-Social Behaviour in the Dublin Area'.

It worked with Dublin Bus, Veolia Transport (which operates the Luas), gardaí and the Integration Office of Dublin City Council in producing the research report.

Focus groups were held with African bus-drivers, Luas revenue protection officers from a variety of ethnic backgrounds and Asian healthcare workers, all of whom had lived in Ireland for between six and ten years.

Many of those participating in the focus groups were naturalised Irish citizens.

The vast majority had experience of racist incidents, varying from long-term harassment and violent assault to anti-social behaviour that resulted in victims having to flee their homes.

ICI Chief Executive Denise Charlton said what was striking about the report is that the people interviewed believe racism is more prevalent in Ireland than in many other countries in which they have lived.

She said some of those they spoke with have lived in the UK, Holland and Sweden, but said they never felt as unsafe as they do in Ireland.

www.rte.ie/news/2011/1004/racism.html
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:57 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
The Irish are now the ethnic minority in Ireland.
They are fast being outnumbered by Brazilians and Eastern Europeans.
I hear more foreign accents on the Dart to work than I do Irish ones these days.
It's a sign of the times with mass emigration due to the recession.
Oh come on Mr M, hardly a minority.

I have to say, some of the bollox spouted from some of my fellow Irish cab drivers shocked me. I'd never heard the n word used so much by herberts who had never even met a black person. I was even told to fk off back to England by one. He wont be saying that again in a hurry. Any aggro i had was with other drivers, not by the public.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:00 pm
Banned

Martin McGuinness shaking the Queens hand will do a lot improve relations between the Irish and British.
I know that the Queen's visit to Ireland did a lot of good. As time goes on I think we will see better relations between the Irish and British.
In my experience the greatest bigotry and hatred from the Irish is of their own people.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:19 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
Martin McGuinness shaking the Queens hand will do a lot improve relations between the Irish and British.
I know that the Queen's visit to Ireland did a lot of good. As time goes on I think we will see better relations between the Irish and British.
In my experience the greatest bigotry and hatred from the Irish is of their own people.
Plenty of Brits cant stand the Royals. Im one of them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.