Good to know

Old Mar 1st 2016, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good to know

Originally Posted by not2old
Zelda or Moses, (outside of the weather or location, location) would you be recommending that retired UK state pensioners should not move to Ireland purely on the basis of the lack of or cost of health insurance, even though the offset may be lower accommodation cost & the council tax? Or, is there something that just sticks out why UK state pension retirees should not move to take up residence in the Republic?
Originally Posted by Kidja
OK I have contacted the HSE in Ireland and asked the question and received the following response:- "Medical Cards are generally means tested, however, some people will qualify under EU Regulations. You would qualify under EU Regulations because you are in receipt of an EU Social Security Pension. Because your pension is from the UK, you actually don't need to produce an S1, proof of your pension from the UK is sufficient evidence of your entitlement to health care in Ireland. You will be entitled to a medical card in Ireland. " So Moses2013 looks like you were correct for Ireland! True that the Pension Office in Newcastle doesn't have a clue. I have also asked the relevant authorities in Germany to clarify exactly what would be covered and will post on here when I receive a reply.
@not2old, I can't see the reasons why not (if you like Ireland) and there are already so many Brits living here for a reason. See post from Kidja that all British state Pension holders receive a medical card and as Zelda mentioned: The NHS in Northern Ireland is very good, so living close to the border would be no problem either. Luckily we also have the Cross border Health agreement, so people who aren't happy with public waiting lists at one hospital can go to another, be it within Ireland, UK, France etc.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Zelda247 is an unknown quantity at this point

Zelda or Moses, (outside of the weather or location, location) would you be recommending that retired UK state pensioners should not move to Ireland purely on the basis of the lack of or cost of health insurance, even though the offset may be lower accommodation cost & the council tax?

Or, is there something that just sticks out why UK state pension retirees should not move to take up residence in the Republic?
In my own experience as a retired person although not from the UK my husband is and I lived there for 20 years. Unless you can afford health insurance do not consider retiring to Southern Ireland if you can afford it fine, there is no other reason why I would not recommend living in S. Ireland, except the weather of course (ha ha)! Also consider the cost of Health Insurance bearing in mind age and perhaps existing health conditions.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 1:42 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, thanks to you both for that.

Now, using apples for apples - exclude Moses the working person that get the 35 euro health insurance, what about state pension/OAP aged folks?

I looked at the comparative health insurance plans link moses provided for those in the 65-69 age group for full health & prescription coverage and its not cheap

Different rules apply for those over age 70

Doing the other comparison, exclude accommodation costs, taking UK state pensioner couple that have ONLY state pension income (or guaranteed credit amount) versus their Republic counter part.

Based on that they are neighbours living next door to each other in the Republic, living the same lifestyle, have the same health, no private insurance, no company or private pension plan, have the same amount of savings (if any) - which of the two are likely to have the better standard of living in the Republic?

Moving them both to Northern Ireland, which of the two has the better standard of living?

Is the conclusion that the retired UK state pension age couple between 65-69 that can afford private health insurance would be better off, or have a better lifestyle/standard of living in the Republic or a similar place [location wise] in the UK?

Last edited by not2old; Mar 1st 2016 at 1:44 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, thanks to you both for that.

Now, using apples for apples - exclude Moses the working person that get the 35 euro health insurance, what about state pension/OAP aged folks?

I looked at the comparative health insurance plans link moses provided for those in the 65-69 age group for full health & prescription coverage and its not cheap

Different rules apply for those over age 70

Doing the other comparison, exclude accommodation costs, taking UK state pensioner couple that have ONLY state pension income (or guaranteed credit amount) versus their Republic counter part.

Based on that they are neighbours living next door to each other in the Republic, living the same lifestyle, have the same health, no private insurance, no company or private pension plan, have the same amount of savings (if any) - which of the two are likely to have the better standard of living in the Republic?

Moving them both to Northern Ireland, which of the two has the better standard of living?

Is the conclusion that the retired UK state pension age couple between 65-69 that can afford private health insurance would be better off, or have a better lifestyle/standard of living in the Republic or a similar place [location wise] in the UK?
Well as I say as long as they can afford the costs of Healthcare S. Ireland is a great place to live, the people are wonderful the only other thing would be car tax and insurance its a lot more expensive than we paid in the UK.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 1:52 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

over 65, then this applies, or does it - is it adequate?

Over 70, no question

Medical cards
Old Mar 1st 2016, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zelda247
In my own experience as a retired person although not from the UK my husband is and I lived there for 20 years. Unless you can afford health insurance do not consider retiring to Southern Ireland if you can afford it fine, there is no other reason why I would not recommend living in S. Ireland, except the weather of course (ha ha)! Also consider the cost of Health Insurance bearing in mind age and perhaps existing health conditions.
Zelda, if you have a medical card it's not really a question of affordability for people with a EU (UK State pension). Except the weather? If that's a problem, pick Wexford which has only slightly more average precipitation days than parts of London. Wicklow actually has on average 60 precipitation days less than Liverpool for example. Even parts of Galway (away from the mountains) aren't as bad as your location. But as a weather expert, anyone who doesn't like the British climate, might be better off in Morocco.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

over 65, then this applies, or does it - is it adequate? Over 70, no question Medical cards
Well, you asked for UK state Pensioners:-)
Under EU Regulation people moving from one Member State to another Member State within the European Union “retain the rights and advantages acquired”through social insurance contribution made in their home country and this includes access to health services. EU pensioners resident in Ireland and who are in receipt of a qualifying pension as evidenced by form S1 are entitled to a Medical Card provided they are not subject to Irish social security legislation (see footnote, under 5.1).Pensioners from the UK must provide proof that they are in receipt of a UK social security pension. (The UK social security pension is the only qualifying UK pension for entitlement under EU legislation).

What health services are normally covered?If you have a medical card, you are entitled to:
Old Mar 1st 2016, 2:08 pm
Dichotomus tinker

back to apples for apples (edited: was writing this & did not see moses post #23)

Someone like moses, working, low cost medical insurance, its the life of riley?

Someone like zelda under state pension age (in her mid 50's ?) retired living in Ireland, there is the added health insurance costs - do not move to the Republic?

UK state pension age under 70, with a UK (max) only state pension with a Republic health card, could have a better lifestyle in the Republic compared to a UK base?

Then there is the 'household package' in the Republic which appears to be better than what the UK offer their state pension age counterparts?

Household Benefits Package

Taking all the above into consideration for over 65 retirees, based on location, location, house/apartment ownership or rental prices, council tax differences, utility costs - wouldn't the UK state pensioner have a better standard of living, moving to the Republic than their Irish counterpart also living in the same place in S.Ireland?

Well, it would seem that way too me, after all, Ireland is less densely populated than the mainland UK & aren't the Irish a lot more friendly without the British attitude?

Last edited by not2old; Mar 1st 2016 at 2:55 pm. Reason: edited
Old Mar 1st 2016, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Taking all the above into consideration for over 65 retirees, based on location, location, house/apartment ownership or rental prices, council tax differences, utility costs - wouldn't the UK state pensioner have a better standard of living, moving to the Republic than their Irish counterpart also living in the same place in S.Ireland? Well, it would seem that way too me, after all, Ireland is less densely populated than the mainland UK & aren't the Irish a lot more friendly without the British attitude?
We'll never know and it's always down to the individual. Salaries, rents, taxes, spending habits are different in both countries, so you can never say who is better off.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 2:44 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Moses2013
We'll never know and it's always down to the individual. Salaries, rents, taxes, spending habits are different in both countries, so you can never say who is better off.
agree, individual needs & lifestyle choices, just like the folks that ping pong from the UK to Spain, Portugal, Malta etc

Now there's an idea or suggestion - live (state pension aged) in the Republic & rock between one of those sunny southern Europe places - or if you need the cultural shock density fix, hop over to London for a week or so

I must go post page 2 of this thread on the 'Malta on a shoestring' thread

Thanks moses & Zelda for eye opener info & discussions on this thread
Old Mar 1st 2016, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Luckily we also have the Cross border Health agreement, so people who aren't happy with public waiting lists at one hospital can go to another, be it within Ireland, UK, France etc.
The only complication I see with this is that the patient has to pay upfront and then claim reimbursement and it doesn't cover any extra travel or accommodation costs. It's also not suitable if you need ongoing care e.g. cancer.

I would say that if you could afford to pay upfront for treatment then you could probably afford health insurance.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bc2015
The only complication I see with this is that the patient has to pay upfront and then claim reimbursement and it doesn't cover any extra travel or accommodation costs. It's also not suitable if you need ongoing care e.g. cancer. I would say that if you could afford to pay upfront for treatment then you could probably afford health insurance.
Sure, but most people could use it if they want to avoid a waiting list for a hip replacement etc. and aren't happy with their local hospital waiting times. If you don't have the cash, you could just use the bank overdraft until you get the refund, or ask family members (if it's not in the thousands).You don't have to pay upfront if you receive a State Pension from the UK and go to the UK, because the UK pays for the costs anyway.

I also found this information:

Do I need to pay for cross-border treatment upfront?Yes, generally the patient pays upfront and would then be reimbursed by their national authority as quickly as possible. The law also gives Member States the option of confirming the amount of reimbursement in writing in advance.Member States also have the option of paying for the healthcare directly, rather than reimbursing patients. European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Q&A: Patients' Rights in Cross-Border Healthcare

I wouldn't see the benefit myself, but for pensioners living in the Republic of Ireland receiving a UK State pension saying that the service is so much better in Belfast, could just go there.

Last edited by Moses2013; Mar 2nd 2016 at 7:42 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

over 65, then this applies, or does it - is it adequate?

Over 70, no question

Medical cards
Medical Cards are fine if you can get one but its the waiting lists that's the issue. My husband has to wait 12 months to see a Orthopedic Consultant about his knee and 18 months to see a consultant in ENT about an issue he is experiencing with his voice box.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 9:55 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Zelda247
Medical Cards are fine if you can get one but its the waiting lists that's the issue. My husband has to wait 12 months to see a Orthopedic Consultant about his knee and 18 months to see a consultant in ENT about an issue he is experiencing with his voice box.
Having lived in a couple of countries that have the 'social healthcare' system, such as the NHS & HSE, I know that wait times can be an issue, either seeing a GP, specialist/consultant or getting that operation.

What I know personal case as well as from family that have had wait time issues - my elder Brother who stopped paying his Bupa insurance premiums after 15 years (his was an hip replacement) & my Sister (stomach operation), [even on the NHS] that if you have to wait simply because you are a 'social patient', that without that expensive medical insurance policy one can see the GP, ask for the referral to a specialist/consultant on a 'paid basis' & you'd be seen quick & proper within 30 days.

Yeah, I know it may cost you a few bob or two, but think about it, it's cheaper than one months insurance premium why not?

At the paid for consultation, the specialist will provide a date & time they can do the operation... and likely, because you'd paid for the consultation & just likely getting the job done on the NHS/HSE may be sooner, or getting the job done paying for it out of your pocket may cost upwards of a grand or so for a knee or throat operation.

So, what, job done, your life, health & your body & mind are important to you more than having a holiday, buying something or giving money to the children.

Based on 'time is of the essence'- Zelda or Moses, what is your opinion or experience going that route?

How much will a private operation cost?

Everything you need to know about what it will cost you to go to hospital
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Of course in the last resort there is always Dignitas in Switzerland. The wife and I have just signed up, against the day...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.