Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Republic of Ireland

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Mar 12th 2017, 5:36 pm   #1
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 10
Confusedius is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Foreign Birth Register Questions

Hi,

I'm a Brit currently living in Spain (apologies in advance if I should have posted it there, just thought this might be more fruitful) who's looking to register on the Foreign Births Register. I've read extensively about it, established I'm eligible, and collected every document that is required. However, I'm struggling with a few details about the process and was wondering if anybody could shed some light on them. Here are my questions and additional info:

1. Can you certify your ID at UK Post Offices? I ask because certifying appears to be much cheaper than notarizing, and I'd like to avoid the pointless additional cost of going for the latter option.

2. Will I need my foreign marriage document translated? This might seem relatively straightforward, but the document itself does contain English translations at the back. I'm asking because the Irish government might need an official translator stamp of approval as much as anything.

3. What is the 'Certificate of Identity' section that my witness needs to complete? Guides keep referring to sections by letters, but I don't see the letters as I think they're talking about the paper form. Is it the same as the 'Details of the person requesting registration' section? (You can see the document in the 'Apply Online' section at the bottom)

Thanks in advance for any help with this. Though I do intend to call the embassy to find out more, I just thought I'd see if anybody here has any good info in the meantime.
Confusedius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th 2017, 7:52 pm   #2
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 10
Confusedius is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Foreign Birth Register Questions

I just read that you have the application witnessed after printing it off. I suppose the lettered sections show after printing it off. Maybe I'll very slowly come to some realisations about my other questions.
Confusedius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st 2017, 6:09 pm   #3
Premium Member
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 8,522
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign Birth Register Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusedius View Post
Hi,

I'm a Brit currently living in Spain (apologies in advance if I should have posted it there, just thought this might be more fruitful) who's looking to register on the Foreign Births Register. I've read extensively about it, established I'm eligible, and collected every document that is required. However, I'm struggling with a few details about the process and was wondering if anybody could shed some light on them. Here are my questions and additional info:

1. Can you certify your ID at UK Post Offices? I ask because certifying appears to be much cheaper than notarizing, and I'd like to avoid the pointless additional cost of going for the latter option.
The phrase used is 'Certified/Notarized' so I would suggest that is the case but I'm sure how you'll be able to do that from Spain.

Quote:
2. Will I need my foreign marriage document translated? This might seem relatively straightforward, but the document itself does contain English translations at the back. I'm asking because the Irish government might need an official translator stamp of approval as much as anything.
If you have a 'Formula B' multilingual certificate then it doesn't require a translation.

Quote:
3. What is the 'Certificate of Identity' section that my witness needs to complete? Guides keep referring to sections by letters, but I don't see the letters as I think they're talking about the paper form. Is it the same as the 'Details of the person requesting registration' section? (You can see the document in the 'Apply Online' section at the bottom)
Sounds like you already have the answer for this one.
BritInParis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th 2017, 12:39 pm   #4
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 10
Confusedius is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Foreign Birth Register Questions

Hey BritInParis, thanks for your answers. Just in case somebody's a worrier like me and finds themselves scanning forums with similar questions and one day stumbles across this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
The phrase used is 'Certified/Notarized' so I would suggest that is the case but I'm sure how you'll be able to do that from Spain.

If you have a 'Formula B' multilingual certificate then it doesn't require a translation.
The Irish embassy does indeed accept them done at the Post Office. However, I did go back to Britain to get them.

They said that the foreign document would be fine if it had translations in it. They didn't mention anything about a certificate, so maybe that'll be a bad surprise waiting to leap out and cause me further anxiety.

Also, my apologies for starting another thread. Could have just posted my most recent question in this one.
Confusedius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Republic of Ireland


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:36 pm.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com