British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Republic of Ireland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/)
-   -   Foreign Birth Register Questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/foreign-birth-register-questions-893798/)

scrubbedexpat093 Mar 12th 2017 4:36 pm

Foreign Birth Register Questions

Hi,

I'm a Brit currently living in Spain (apologies in advance if I should have posted it there, just thought this might be more fruitful) who's looking to register on the Foreign Births Register. I've read extensively about it, established I'm eligible, and collected every document that is required. However, I'm struggling with a few details about the process and was wondering if anybody could shed some light on them. Here are my questions and additional info:

1. Can you certify your ID at UK Post Offices? I ask because certifying appears to be much cheaper than notarizing, and I'd like to avoid the pointless additional cost of going for the latter option.

2. Will I need my foreign marriage document translated? This might seem relatively straightforward, but the document itself does contain English translations at the back. I'm asking because the Irish government might need an official translator stamp of approval as much as anything.

3. What is the 'Certificate of Identity' section that my witness needs to complete? Guides keep referring to sections by letters, but I don't see the letters as I think they're talking about the paper form. Is it the same as the 'Details of the person requesting registration' section? (You can see the document in the 'Apply Online' section at the bottom)

Thanks in advance for any help with this. Though I do intend to call the embassy to find out more, I just thought I'd see if anybody here has any good info in the meantime.

scrubbedexpat093 Mar 12th 2017 6:52 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Register Questions

I just read that you have the application witnessed after printing it off. I suppose the lettered sections show after printing it off. Maybe I'll very slowly come to some realisations about my other questions.

BritInParis Apr 1st 2017 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Confusedius (Post 12202993)
Hi,

I'm a Brit currently living in Spain (apologies in advance if I should have posted it there, just thought this might be more fruitful) who's looking to register on the Foreign Births Register. I've read extensively about it, established I'm eligible, and collected every document that is required. However, I'm struggling with a few details about the process and was wondering if anybody could shed some light on them. Here are my questions and additional info:

1. Can you certify your ID at UK Post Offices? I ask because certifying appears to be much cheaper than notarizing, and I'd like to avoid the pointless additional cost of going for the latter option.

The phrase used is 'Certified/Notarized' so I would suggest that is the case but I'm sure how you'll be able to do that from Spain.

2. Will I need my foreign marriage document translated? This might seem relatively straightforward, but the document itself does contain English translations at the back. I'm asking because the Irish government might need an official translator stamp of approval as much as anything.
If you have a 'Formula B' multilingual certificate then it doesn't require a translation.

3. What is the 'Certificate of Identity' section that my witness needs to complete? Guides keep referring to sections by letters, but I don't see the letters as I think they're talking about the paper form. Is it the same as the 'Details of the person requesting registration' section? (You can see the document in the 'Apply Online' section at the bottom)
Sounds like you already have the answer for this one.

scrubbedexpat093 May 6th 2017 11:39 am

Hey BritInParis, thanks for your answers. Just in case somebody's a worrier like me and finds themselves scanning forums with similar questions and one day stumbles across this...

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12219083)
The phrase used is 'Certified/Notarized' so I would suggest that is the case but I'm sure how you'll be able to do that from Spain.

If you have a 'Formula B' multilingual certificate then it doesn't require a translation.

The Irish embassy does indeed accept them done at the Post Office. However, I did go back to Britain to get them.

They said that the foreign document would be fine if it had translations in it. They didn't mention anything about a certificate, so maybe that'll be a bad surprise waiting to leap out and cause me further anxiety.

Also, my apologies for starting another thread. Could have just posted my most recent question in this one.