Euro's...

Old Mar 1st 2007, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

tonyb17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Euro's...

Hey! Hope everyone is doing ok! I found this site on Google and you all seem like a friendly bunch... wonder if you can help....
Ok, not sure how to put this but here goes... When my family / friends go on holiday they generally come back to the uk with a pocket full of left over euros... they exchange the notes and the 1 / 2 euro coins for sterling when they get back to the uk and all the left overs (1 - 50 cent coins) have been offered to my collection....ive been collecting these legal tender coins for a few years now aqnd now have almost 4 biscuit tins full... and i cant do anything with them in the uk. Due to where i live i was thinking about getting on a ferry to Rosslare to exchange the small denomination coins into notes at an Irish bank.... is this possible without a bank account..? Do i need to put them in special bank bags like in the uk with Sterling so they can be weighed etc... is there a limit on how much i can exchange (i have a large tin full of 50 cent pieces), do they have those automatic coin counting machines like in the uk where i can just pour my coppers in and get them counted and changed into larger coins? any advice info would be fab! Ive been to Ireland before, to Dublin and it was a cool city... we went on an open top bus tour and there was lots to see, would like to go again next year and see what the night life is like... thansk everyone
Tony
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

marcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Euro's...

Originally Posted by tonyb17
Hey! Hope everyone is doing ok! I found this site on Google and you all seem like a friendly bunch... wonder if you can help....
Ok, not sure how to put this but here goes... When my family / friends go on holiday they generally come back to the uk with a pocket full of left over euros... they exchange the notes and the 1 / 2 euro coins for sterling when they get back to the uk and all the left overs (1 - 50 cent coins) have been offered to my collection....ive been collecting these legal tender coins for a few years now aqnd now have almost 4 biscuit tins full... and i cant do anything with them in the uk. Due to where i live i was thinking about getting on a ferry to Rosslare to exchange the small denomination coins into notes at an Irish bank.... is this possible without a bank account..? Do i need to put them in special bank bags like in the uk with Sterling so they can be weighed etc... is there a limit on how much i can exchange (i have a large tin full of 50 cent pieces), do they have those automatic coin counting machines like in the uk where i can just pour my coppers in and get them counted and changed into larger coins? any advice info would be fab! Ive been to Ireland before, to Dublin and it was a cool city... we went on an open top bus tour and there was lots to see, would like to go again next year and see what the night life is like... thansk everyone
Tony
hi Tony,
you have to have a bank a/c and have coin in proper bags, next time you are over pick up some bags in bank then pop into credit union they are more flexible, also shops are often looking for coin you might get rid of some there, last resort is put the lot in the charity buckets at the airports when you are going on holiday.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

macker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

They also have those automatic coin counting machines but they charge you a small fee. HTH
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

tonyb17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies!! Shame i can't do it over the counter... do i need to be a resident to open a bank account.... that way i could pay it in and then draw it out...

Macker, yes the info about the machines helps a lot! Are they in banks or in supermarkets like over here! I dont mind paying a small fee!

Thanks again!

T
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

macker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tonyb17
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies!! Shame i can't do it over the counter... do i need to be a resident to open a bank account.... that way i could pay it in and then draw it out...

Macker, yes the info about the machines helps a lot! Are they in banks or in supermarkets like over here! I dont mind paying a small fee!

Thanks again!

T

Hi,

I have seen them in convenience stores, not sure if they are in the banks
Old Mar 5th 2007, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think I saw a change counting machine in Pettitts/Supervalue in Wexford a few months ago. That's not far from Rosslare. Sorry I can't remember for sure where it was, might be worth a call to their head office or something to enquire.
Might even have been Dunnes.

Your friends and rellies are very generous!
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:34 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Dunnes Stores is a supermarket like Sainsburys in case you are wondering.

They have a head office in Dublin so maybe you could check with them. How much money do you reckon you have?

You could always give it to charity! Get a nice cheap flight (with your euros), pop along to Kildare and pass it on to these people http://www.ika.ie/ then you can sit back and treat yourself to a nice pint of the black stuff feeling good about what you just did.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Dunnes Stores is a supermarket like Sainsburys in case you are wondering.

They have a head office in Dublin so maybe you could check with them. How much money do you reckon you have?

You could always give it to charity! Get a nice cheap flight (with your euros), pop along to Kildare and pass it on to these people http://www.ika.ie/ then you can sit back and treat yourself to a nice pint of the black stuff feeling good about what you just did.
He could always just spend a bit of time scattering it over the ground. It'll eventually get picked up and re-enter the economic cycle. Judging from the amount scattered all over Dublin, someone might already be doing that. I reckon I picked up about 10 EUR in small change in the 5 months I was going there last year.

Or go to Ireland and buy a load of stuff with it, then sell it when you get back to the UK. The makings of a little import/export business.