British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Republic of Ireland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/)
-   -   Entry requirements for British citizen to move to Ireland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/entry-requirements-british-citizen-move-ireland-756610/)

Phil Gull Apr 30th 2012 12:39 am

Entry requirements for British citizen to move to Ireland

I realize that this is a rather naive question and I think I already know the answer but I just wanted to confirm that I have got this correct.

My wife and I are both English by birth. We emigrated to Canada more than 30 years ago but when I retire sometime in the next couple of years we are seriously considering moving back to Europe. And Southern Ireland is currently our most likely choice.

Since we are English citizens I understand that, through the European Union, we have right of abode in Southern Ireland.

Is there anything that we need to do regarding informing authorities that we are planning on moving to Ireland or can we simply show up ? Of course, our belongings will have to go through some sort of customs processes but I cannot think of anything else.

Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help.

sickntired Apr 30th 2012 7:40 am

Re: Entry requirements for British citizen to move to Ireland

Originally Posted by Phil Gull (Post 10032198)
I realize that this is a rather naive question and I think I already know the answer but I just wanted to confirm that I have got this correct.

My wife and I are both English by birth. We emigrated to Canada more than 30 years ago but when I retire sometime in the next couple of years we are seriously considering moving back to Europe. And Southern Ireland is currently our most likely choice.

Since we are English citizens I understand that, through the European Union, we have right of abode in Southern Ireland.

Is there anything that we need to do regarding informing authorities that we are planning on moving to Ireland or can we simply show up ? Of course, our belongings will have to go through some sort of customs processes but I cannot think of anything else.

Just turn up.

Horus May 1st 2012 4:28 pm

Yep, just come.

Everyone's welcome to help us with the bail out! :unsure:

Phil Gull May 2nd 2012 5:01 am

Thanks for the responses folks. That was what I had thought but it is nice to have the comfort of your confirmations. I would have hated to show up and find that I had missed something.

Horus May 2nd 2012 10:21 pm

I think technically your supposed to inform the Gardai within 24hrs of arriving but I've been here over 5 years now and haven't! :thumbsup:

sickntired May 3rd 2012 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Horus (Post 10038236)
I think technically your supposed to inform the Gardai within 24hrs of arriving but I've been here over 5 years now and haven't! :thumbsup:

Never heard that one before. What's your source for this?

Cuthbert Rizla May 3rd 2012 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Horus (Post 10038236)

These days they won't see you unless you're carrying a box of doughnuts.
That's if you can find a Garda station that's open.

Horus May 5th 2012 1:33 pm

I don't know where I saw it, I know I saw it somewhere online when I first moved over. It's so long ago now I don't still have a link to the webby

snoopycat May 6th 2012 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Horus (Post 10043067)
I don't know where I saw it, I know I saw it somewhere online when I first moved over. It's so long ago now I don't still have a link to the webby

It was pre Ireland joining the EU I think.

Joe-Soap May 29th 2012 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Phil Gull (Post 10032198)

As you and your wife were born in England, you are both EU citizens; and free to live in any part of the EU.
A word of advice when coming to Ireland:
There is no such country as Southern Ireland.
There is the Republic of Ireland, and Northern Ireland.
Some people will take offence at you referring to the Republic of Ireland as Southern Ireland.
It would be like referring to the UK as the mainland.
You have to be mindful of the conflict history between the UK and Ireland, especially during the 30 years of The Troubles in Northern Ireland.
Things are improving here both in the North and Republic, but there are still many who would take offence to you saying Southern Ireland.
Personally I think the term: EU nanny super state would be a more apt name for Ireland these days.

Phil Gull May 30th 2012 1:32 am

Point taken. Thanks.

nolanger Jun 2nd 2012 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis (Post 10088988)
Some people will take offence at you referring to the Republic of Ireland as Southern Ireland.

Parts of Donegal are further North than Northern Ireland.

Cuthbert Rizla Jun 2nd 2012 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by nolanger (Post 10096416)

I think that's what the kids refer to as a headshot.:D

Joe-Soap Jun 3rd 2012 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by nolanger (Post 10096416)

Yes the county that the North didn't want.
The forgotten county is indeed further North than Northern Ireland.
Did you know that Cork is further South than Dublin?
Did you know that Galway is further West than Dublin?
It is good to clarify these points isn't it?
Forum users love a good geography lesson, its very useful.

Mitzyboy Jun 9th 2012 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis (Post 10098136)
Yes the county that the North didn't want.
The forgotten county is indeed further North than Northern Ireland.
Did you know that Cork is further South than Dublin?
Did you know that Galway is further West than Dublin?
It is good to clarify these points isn't it?
Forum users love a good geography lesson, its very useful.

It IS useful actually, for as someone who has only travelled around Ireland a few times, I wasnt aware of what nolanger said :D;)