Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

England to Rep of Ireland-dogs, cars, costs

England to Rep of Ireland-dogs, cars, costs

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Kevrev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: England to Rep of Ireland-dogs, cars, costs

I wonder who thinks it up :P And if they get payed for it or fired......or shot! Lol!
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Meg990 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kevrev
I wonder who thinks it up :P And if they get payed for it or fired......or shot! Lol!
Or eaten by angry seals.

Last edited by Meg990; Oct 23rd 2013 at 10:16 pm. Reason: because I'm incapable of speeling correctly.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meg990
Or eaten by angry seals.
Or harpooned by a loony on a stairlift :P
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

taragreen is an unknown quantity at this point

one good thing you'll find are vets are much cheaper in ROI than uk.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by taragreen
one good thing you'll find are vets are much cheaper in ROI than uk.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Or harpooned by a loony on a stairlift :P
easily done
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

That's something I didn't know. And very handy!
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

That's something I didn't know. And very handy!
Oh yeah, there was a story in the news a while ago, a woman was preparing to move house (her and her hubbie had finally reach an agreement and were selling the house prior to divorce, anyway she had spent the day packing because he was busy grooming his best friends guinea pig ready for some competition (like the guinea pig version of crufts), and had decided to save her legs she'd use her late Mother's stairlift, they won a harpoon at an auction years ago, she hadn't actually wanted to buy it, she just had a nervous twitch and nodded as the auctioneer looked at her, anyway she was coming downstairs-on the stairlift-holding the harpoon-and the cat (lazy feline didn't fancy the stairs either) when halfway down the stairs the soon-to-be-ex-hubbie came through the door, the cat jumped startled and when she tried to catch the cat she knocked the harpoon....and the rest is history.
#Shouldhavebeenajournalist
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Oh yeah, there was a story in the news a while ago, a woman was preparing to move house (her and her hubbie had finally reach an agreement and were selling the house prior to divorce, anyway she had spent the day packing because he was busy grooming his best friends guinea pig ready for some competition (like the guinea pig version of crufts), and had decided to save her legs she'd use her late Mother's stairlift, they won a harpoon at an auction years ago, she hadn't actually wanted to buy it, she just had a nervous twitch and nodded as the auctioneer looked at her, anyway she was coming downstairs-on the stairlift-holding the harpoon-and the cat (lazy feline didn't fancy the stairs either) when halfway down the stairs the soon-to-be-ex-hubbie came through the door, the cat jumped startled and when she tried to catch the cat she knocked the harpoon....and the rest is history.
#Shouldhavebeenajournalist
Should of shot the cat, horrid things! Lol! And as the vets are cheap...........
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:28 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Has this become the Kev and Meg show?. if so, aas most of the posts have nothing now to do with the original topic, perhaps you could take it to PM, and get this thread closed?
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Oi meg, pass the pop corn! Lol!
Old Oct 24th 2013, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Has this become the Kev and Meg show?. if so, aas most of the posts have nothing now to do with the original topic, perhaps you could take it to PM, and get this thread closed?
Due to a lack of celebrity guests the Kev and Meg show never made broadcasting

However I think its worth keeping this thread open in case anyone else has anything to add
Old Oct 25th 2013, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

taragreen is an unknown quantity at this point

Due to a lack of celebrity guests the Kev and Meg show never made broadcasting

However I think its worth keeping this thread open in case anyone else has anything to add
Moved to West Limerick, exactly one year ago today, with two JR terriers. Came over on the ferry with the dogs, no questions asked.

I'm working part time in local Tesco, where I tidy yoghurts a lot - 20 hours a week. As my first job in Ireland, am having the tax holiday until I hit the mark so clearing about 200 euro a week. Enough to get by on happily for a couple who don't drink much, but do like the odd cigarette with a mug of tea and a pack of eclairs.

Dont forget to reclaim all your last year's tax from the UK once you'veleft the country - (Form P50 I think) a nice little goodbye pressie from the UK Taxman even though you probably wont be entitled to any support or anything at first, do go and go through the motions/fill the forms with the local welfare office when youre here to live, so you get evidence of yourself arriving in The State, living here etc. asap.

Remember some utilities will want deposits from you to begin with as no credit history here - just got my 300 euro back from Airtricity so me the OH and the (now 3) dogs might head off to the funfair for toffee apples and harpoon slinging.

Food is expensive here. Any treats usually come from the Reduced Section, which is a great place to meet other souls who've moved here, best time is 7pm when fresh food goes 70% off, Meat 60% off and Bakery up to 90% off.

Our neighbour just gave us an old chest freezer that's still working (I checked) so a good tip buy reduced foods freeze 'em, eventually you'll collect a full indian x p.s. the indian food here is atrocious, we need curry chefs in Limerick lol Good luck!
Old Oct 25th 2013, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by taragreen
Moved to West Limerick, exactly one year ago today, with two JR terriers. Came over on the ferry with the dogs, no questions asked.

I'm working part time in local Tesco, where I tidy yoghurts a lot - 20 hours a week. As my first job in Ireland, am having the tax holiday until I hit the mark so clearing about 200 euro a week. Enough to get by on happily for a couple who don't drink much, but do like the odd cigarette with a mug of tea and a pack of eclairs.

Dont forget to reclaim all your last year's tax from the UK once you'veleft the country - (Form P50 I think) a nice little goodbye pressie from the UK Taxman even though you probably wont be entitled to any support or anything at first, do go and go through the motions/fill the forms with the local welfare office when youre here to live, so you get evidence of yourself arriving in The State, living here etc. asap.

Remember some utilities will want deposits from you to begin with as no credit history here - just got my 300 euro back from Airtricity so me the OH and the (now 3) dogs might head off to the funfair for toffee apples and harpoon slinging.

Food is expensive here. Any treats usually come from the Reduced Section, which is a great place to meet other souls who've moved here, best time is 7pm when fresh food goes 70% off, Meat 60% off and Bakery up to 90% off.

Our neighbour just gave us an old chest freezer that's still working (I checked) so a good tip buy reduced foods freeze 'em, eventually you'll collect a full indian x p.s. the indian food here is atrocious, we need curry chefs in Limerick lol Good luck!
You need to get a good selection of Indian spices and recipes, as the curry shops are pure shite. Create your own dishes is the way to go.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Just a note (from a N. Ireland resident).

There are absolutely NO manned borders between these two countries (remember there is a common travel area between the UK and ROI). You can drive anywhere you like on the whole Island and no-one bats an eyelid (unless you're speeding/driving without insurance etc). There are issues with 'importing' a car, even from Northern Ireland the the ROI, so you should check these out (if you buy a car in ROI and only drive to NI for work it makes no difference whatsoever). Also, you may need both a Euro (for everyday spending in ROI) and a Pound Sterling account (for your salary and business expenses to be paid into/from), but you can always withdraw your money in Euros at an ATM in ROI.

Please note: if you are doing this in order to apply for immigration for a non-EEA partner (under Surinder Singh route to the UK), it probably wouldn't work as you're still working in part of the UK. Not sure if this is anything to do with your reasons for moving over, if not, just ignore this part.

Just a note on why N. Ireland residents don't move to Ireland to buy houses: 1) there isn't a NHS in Ireland per se (the UK is better for health) and 2) other costs (e.g. cars/insurance/groceries) are higher in the ROI.

These are only my opinions (as someone who has lived in NI for 27 years).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.