Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Do I Need to exchange UK Driving License

Do I Need to exchange UK Driving License

Old Apr 6th 2013, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

jordanmcclements is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do I Need to exchange UK Driving License

Yeah - it's the old paper license - expires 2042.

It's sort of a moot point, as I've been using it over here for more than 10 years anyway without any problems - but just out of interest wondered if I was being naughty in any way :-).
Old Apr 6th 2013, 6:40 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sickntired
It's the pink licence without the picture? If so drive o.n
I missed the paper bit.

The UK photo licences expire every 10 years, the pink ones are obviously different
Old Apr 7th 2013, 11:38 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jordanmcclements
Yeah - it's the old paper license - expires 2042.

It's sort of a moot point, as I've been using it over here for more than 10 years anyway without any problems - but just out of interest wondered if I was being naughty in any way :-).
Why would using an EU driving licence in the EU be naughty?
Next you will be asking, can I use my UK passport in Ireland, or am I being naughty in anyway?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:49 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
Why would using an EU driving licence in the EU be naughty?
Next you will be asking, can I use my UK passport in Ireland, or am I being naughty in anyway?
Its not the issuer in these cases, its the countries you end up in. A UK EU photo licence for instance cant be renewed if you are no longer resident in the UK, therefore more often than not the only way of resolving it is by changing it for a local country licence, i.e. Spanish or Italian or whatever.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 7:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jordanmcclements
As I understand it, I am perfectly within my rights to use this license until it expires, yes? (After all you can't change the license address to one that is outside GB, and I'm not required to get a new license if I move outside GB until my old one expires as I understand it anyway)? I know this is a bit ridiculous as N.I. is part of the UK. But that's how I understand it...
Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, however it has its own driver and vehicle licensing system.

Just like in other countries - in Canada, if you move from Ontario to Alberta, it's still the same country but the driving licenses are different.

However, unlike in other countries (where you must get a new driving licence when you move state/province), Northern Ireland does let you keep using a GB licence as long as it's valid.
http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/inf...-countries.htm

Should you trade your GB licence for a Northern Ireland licence? Issues to consider include:

1. You should check with the DVLA in Swansea if your licence is still valid to use now that you no longer live in Great Britain. It may still be valid, however they will not register a Northern Ireland address onto a GB licence.

2. Would it be easier to have a Northern Ireland licence for identification purposes? Would you insurance company be happier if you have a NI licence?

3. If you lose your GB licence, you will not be able to get a new one without a GB address. How difficult or easy would it be to get a Northern Ireland licence if you cannot supply your GB licence? DVLA-Swansea may be able to give you a driving record, but not necessarily a new licence.

4. If you're planning to move somewhere else, be aware that some jurisdictions (especially certain Canadian provinces) will exchange GB licences but not Northern Ireland ones.

5. Does it work any differently with penalty points and/or being taken to court for speeding or similar offences if you have a GB licence instead of a Northern Ireland one?

Last edited by JAJ; Apr 11th 2013 at 7:11 am.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sickntired
My friend has a UK licence (non pic) that expires when he is 70 yo and the Gardai said it was ok. But technically it can't be as you have to inform DVLA when you change address, and you can't change address outside of the UK. So what's the story there then?
The address on your licence has to be somewhere where they can contact you, such as your parents or inlaws address. It does not have to be where you are actually living.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:41 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by winston_1
The address on your licence has to be somewhere where they can contact you, such as your parents or inlaws address. It does not have to be where you are actually living.
International agreement means that the DVLA accept that whilst the licence is valid when you live in another country, that the address will not be correct. My UK licence had an address on it I hadnt lived in for 6 years. Its now been changed to a current UK address