Reload this Page >

The delights of property buying in Ireland

The delights of property buying in Ireland

Old Nov 1st 2013, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

DenC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The delights of property buying in Ireland

Originally Posted by goosegirl
This is true. Some estate agents are great, some are not so. We went over in August to look around, well it felt like I flew around. We had one estate agent that had the personality of a dead fish and another that was like a mate that wanted to take you out to all drinking holes in the town! We emailed loads about properties before hand & got about 3 replies. Apparently they get sick of people doing it & just wasting their time. A phone call makes you seem more genuine & obviously a visit much more so! Get as much info out of them as you can, you them to your advantage & sift the truth from crap! The dead fish fella said he'd expect to sell he property we went to view in the next 3 weeks for the asking price. It's still on the market....That was said on all the properties we went to view over there. We put a offer in on one cottage which was 7 thousand euro off the asking price & the seller refused it. He said he would sell it for the asking price of 72,500 quite soon. It's still up for sale. The price we offered was good feel, but not worth anymore to us. You have go to real & not get out of your depth & silly. We have accepted an offer on our property so fingers crossed it all goes through smoothly now. We know what area we want to move to, by going over there in August. We shall rent for 6/12 months then buy outright where we want. This will give us time to settle, get paperwork,pps numbers,bank details etc & most importantly find a house hopefully in the right area & me to try and set up my business (HA HA ). I cannot advise enough though, you must go over and look at the properties you see being offered because they look great from the outside but once you walk through that door!!!! One photograph of just the house on the advert is a big clue!! We saw one and the stairway was almost vertical! You would of been dead on falling down it!
I wish we had rented too, and we will set up a business also, but you have to be there.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

london2cork is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DenC
Hi London2Cork
Keep at them, send them a written letter by post outlinging your frustration, ad tell them you expect to be in by christmas as you have nowhere to live! Appeal to their better nature.! Best of luck
Many thanks for that DenC, I appreciate your support, at the moment there is a map error regarding boundaries and the mappings are being adjusted by the Land Registration Authorities, who are just as slow as the legal bods...so i cant influence a government office, more's the pity... i would just like to look forward to spending Christmas in my new home rather than further imposition on my in-laws....been ages since we had our own space and the walls are beginning to close in..
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

terrygees366 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DenC
Hi there swim4good - I just had to reply to you as I really can understand your frustration.! Last year My OH and I purchased a house in Co Roscommon.
- At the very beginning I did as you did, and e-mailed agents which I found on websites such as myhome and property.ie.
I was rarely replied to, in fact I think one out of ten might have been the case. In the end, those we were very interested in we phoned the agents, some of which replied, some answered the phone with "hello", some ignored the messages, and never called back. In the end we came across an agent advertising an open w/end, so we decided to get a plane and get over there. We went to two areas, saw some modern ghost estates, and one unfinished estate.
We found a "builders finish" in a small village, and the builder was selling because the bank "asked him to".! He would not accept any offers. He sold eight houses in one afternoon out of twelve advertised.
We contacted a solicitor that had been recommended by the agents- ( all members of the same early morning business networking groups) and they warned that I will have aquired several more grey hairs by the time the process was complete. She was sooooooooo right. Solicitors do not answer emails, they do not reply to phonecalls, pleads, prayers, or blessings. They will fob you off with broken printers, emailing problems, lies, delays due to the other side having a part timer. Irish conveyancing solicitors are expensive, unhelpful, inefficient, frustratingly slow. The sale eventually completed we think four and a half months later, and only after we signed a disclaimer to say we would not sue the solicitors if they failed to get all the documents they should have, from the other side.
Never again, no wonder it takes years to sell. It is the most stressful experience ever. We have bought houses in France Netherlands and the Uk, and never had such a frustrating experience as we had trying to buy in Ireland. I am Irish, been away a long time, and should have known better, and no, they have not changed in thirty five years.
So if you want to buy in Ireland, get a rental first, very cheaply, and take it one day at a time... good luck.
I agree entirely, I am experiencing the same frustrations and lies.
"The scanner's broken, we e-mailed a contract to you but it bounced back etc..."
My offer was accepted in early August.
I'm a cash buyer so one would have thought it should be fairly smooth
I've booked a flight and will be in Mayo on November 11 to set up a rental.
I'll then sit back and play their game from then on.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 9:25 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by terrygees366
I agree entirely, I am experiencing the same frustrations and lies.
"The scanner's broken, we e-mailed a contract to you but it bounced back etc..."
My offer was accepted in early August.
I'm a cash buyer so one would have thought it should be fairly smooth
I've booked a flight and will be in Mayo on November 11 to set up a rental.
I'll then sit back and play their game from then on.
Which auctioneers are you dealing with in Roscommon? If it's Earley it will be frustrating to say the least
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sickntired
Which auctioneers are you dealing with in Roscommon? If it's Earley it will be frustrating to say the least
No, I'm in Mayo - Ballyhaunis, at the moment.

If I continue to get the run around I'll stick to renting in Ireland and buy something in France.
Or I could adopt a 'pikey's' lifestyle and buy a caravan.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 11:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by terrygees366
No, I'm in Mayo - Ballyhaunis, at the moment.

If I continue to get the run around I'll stick to renting in Ireland and buy something in France.
Or I could adopt a 'pikey's' lifestyle and buy a caravan.
Ballyhaunis has 40% of its population not indigenous. A big asylum centre is probably the reason.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Kevrev is an unknown quantity at this point

Ballyhaunis has 40% of its population not indigenous. A big asylum centre is probably the reason.
The place im buying is near there, loughglynn
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 7:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kevrev
The place im buying is near there, loughglynn
In fairness there'd be more scumbags in Castlerea than Ballyhaunis.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

In fairness there'd be more scumbags in Castlerea than Ballyhaunis.
Thanks for the warning.

I'll have a look at Enniscrone and Ballina.

Do you have any info on the % of scumbags up there?
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Having just read this thread in its entirety, my dreams of buying a nice retirement cottage in south east Ireland are slowly fading into the distance. Are all Irish estate agents and solicitors really that bad? Does anybody have any positive experiences?
Old Jan 18th 2014, 8:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mentalist
Having just read this thread in its entirety, my dreams of buying a nice retirement cottage in south east Ireland are slowly fading into the distance. Are all Irish estate agents and solicitors really that bad? Does anybody have any positive experiences?
Normally the transaction from beginning to end would be 6-8 weeks, but things need pushing along or else things will grind to a halt.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter if you're in the UK, Ireland, France. Every case is different and can go quickly, or might take months. Some people advertise property, but don't actually want to sell. At the end of the day it depends who's the seller and how desperate they are + you need a good solicitor. I found buying in Ireland pretty straight forward. Have friends who bought in France and would never do it again, as the Taxe d’Habitation is also frustrating.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 12:19 am
Just Joined

bigjohn2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi only just joined this forum, my wife and i are both retired own our house in the uk but would like to buy another house in roscommon area as a sort of second home while keeping our UK home, we are both retired so dont need to work so how long can you stay in ireland we will keep our uk doctors but go back and forward when we want to as our family are all in the uk, but are hoping to spend alot of time in ireland also, so is it easy to live in ireland as a pensioner, what will we have to pay for how much is your gas electricity apposed to uk gas and electric, and how easy is it to buy a house for cash no mortgage sorry so many questions but finding it hard to get answers and need to ask all these before we buy in ireland, also why is there so many unfinished houses in the republic of ireland, all standing empty thanks for your help john
Old Apr 24th 2014, 12:35 am
Just Joined

bigjohn2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi terrygees366, we are also pensioners so dont need the PSS number but what about health care over there as i have a few health problems , we have decided to keep our uk home and buy another house in ireland and go between the two so how will we get health care while in ireland as we will probably stay 6 monthes home for a month and back to ireland again thanks for any help just asking at the moment want to get all the info we can before we look for a house thanks
Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

For short-term visits you can use your EHIC. Get it free from the NHS site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.