Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Please help me understand my contract!

Please help me understand my contract!

Old May 18th 2006, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

ibjiba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please help me understand my contract!

I've been talking to an employer about a customer service job in Ireland, which would require me to relocate there. The job is interesting, however I don't understand the contract details. They wrote me that

The obligation you have is 11 months but you are entitled to quit the job from whatever reason giving us 1-week notice.

I don't make any sense of this, and my follow up question didn't yield any good answer. What I don't understand is: If I have an obligation to work for 11 months, how come I can quit with a weeks notice? And if I have a weeks notice, then why the 11 month statement?

Can anyone here shed any light on this please?
Old May 18th 2006, 8:52 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help me understand my contract!

Originally Posted by ibjiba
I've been talking to an employer about a customer service job in Ireland, which would require me to relocate there. The job is interesting, however I don't understand the contract details. They wrote me that

The obligation you have is 11 months but you are entitled to quit the job from whatever reason giving us 1-week notice.

I don't make any sense of this, and my follow up question didn't yield any good answer. What I don't understand is: If I have an obligation to work for 11 months, how come I can quit with a weeks notice? And if I have a weeks notice, then why the 11 month statement?

Can anyone here shed any light on this please?
Its not very clear from the extract you've posted, but I'd take this as meaning you're on an 11 month contract which you can quit at any time having given 1 weeks notice to your employer.
Are you under the impression that this is a permanent position ??

Also the use of english in the quote is appalling - is this legit ??
Old May 19th 2006, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Its not very clear from the extract you've posted, but I'd take this as meaning you're on an 11 month contract which you can quit at any time having given 1 weeks notice to your employer.
Are you under the impression that this is a permanent position ??

Also the use of english in the quote is appalling - is this legit ??
Thank you for your answer. The contract is for 11 months, that is very clear to me. However, it sounds like I have an obligation to stay for 11 months, which is strange if I at the same time can quit within a week. But as you say the "obligation" is probably on their side. That they only have to have me for 11 months.
Regarding the english, this is not how it is forumlated in the contract, but how the recruiter formulated it..
Old May 19th 2006, 2:00 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the english, this is not how it is forumlated in the contract, but how the recruiter formulated it..
Ahh recruiters - the business world's sharpest minds
To my mind it would read more accurately if he/she said that your employer has the 11 month obligation.
Anyway, you get the gist of it - nowt to worry about, just some numpty recruiter.

Good luck with your job
Old May 20th 2006, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Thank you for your answer. The contract is for 11 months, that is very clear to me. However, it sounds like I have an obligation to stay for 11 months, which is strange if I at the same time can quit within a week. But as you say the "obligation" is probably on their side. That they only have to have me for 11 months.
I think it is just saying that the contract runs for 11 months but you can serve notice if you wish to leave before that time.

After the 11 months it could be renewed, ended or made permanent who knows but the 11 months is just a starting term for the contract which can be ended by you if you so desired..

Maybe another way of explaining it is once you have signed the contract you have agreed to remain with the employer for 11 months (the obligation part), however once you have signed a notice of termination you have expressed a desire to terminate those terms, so your obligation then ends after the one week notice is served!

Last edited by crazydaisy; May 20th 2006 at 9:32 pm.
Old May 21st 2006, 11:49 am
Just Joined

daveNsharon is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, looks like 11 month contract which is significant mainly in that after 12 months in Ireland working for the one company, your rights as an employee increase a lot - rights to maternity leave, much more difficult to fire or let an employee go etc etc, Dave.
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:43 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by daveNsharon
Yeah, looks like 11 month contract which is significant mainly in that after 12 months in Ireland working for the one company, your rights as an employee increase a lot - rights to maternity leave, much more difficult to fire or let an employee go etc etc, Dave.
Yep, but I think they changed the law a few years back so that if they immediately offer you a new contract your previous 11 months will count in terms of service
Old May 24th 2006, 6:21 am
Just Joined

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Yep, but I think they changed the law a few years back so that if they immediately offer you a new contract your previous 11 months will count in terms of service
Thanks you for your help. I turned down the job for other reasons and have instead been offered a job at the Lufthansa callcenter which I'll probably take.