could it be ireland?

Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: could it be ireland?

Originally Posted by scrum
Legally the country is officially called Ireland not Republic of Ireland and not Southern Ireland.
http://www.bailii.org/ie/legis/num_a...22y1948.1.html

"2. —It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland."
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Quite a lot of us do call it Southern Ireland. Living in the UK I was commonly asked was I from the North or South - it seemed that was the only way some people differentiated between RoI and NI.

Nowadays there are plenty of mixed marriages (Catholic and Protestant) so I don't think you will have a problem.
The most northerly part of the territory of Ireland is in the Republic, so calling it southern ireland is bit misleading. Imagine somebody from Tory island or Malin head, Donegal saying im from southern ireland!!

Last edited by adiestubbs; Jul 27th 2007 at 12:37 am.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
http://www.bailii.org/ie/legis/num_a...22y1948.1.html

"2. —It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland."
Id be intersted to find out why, therefore, do irish passports say Ireland and not the ROI.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adiestubbs
Id be intersted to find out why, therefore, do irish passports say Ireland and not the ROI.
My understanding of the law is that the constitutional name of the state is "Ireland" but an acceptable statutory description of the state is "Republic of Ireland".
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
My understanding of the law is that the constitutional name of the state is "Ireland" but an acceptable statutory description of the state is "Republic of Ireland".
I was perhaps thinking that it was to do with (the now amended) claim of the government (Irish) to the whole of the "national territory" under the constitution (Articles 2 and 3).

That was changed in 1998, but anyone born on the island (inc NI) has a right to citizenship of the ROI, so perhaps saying "Ireland" is accurate.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:58 am
JAJ
Retired

I was perhaps thinking that it was to do with (the now amended) claim of the government (Irish) to the whole of the "national territory" under the constitution (Articles 2 and 3).

That was changed in 1998, but anyone born on the island (inc NI) has a right to citizenship of the ROI, so perhaps saying "Ireland" is accurate.
Probably that inspired the original choice of name. Incidentally, since 1.1.2005 not everyone born there has a right to citizenship.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
Probably that inspired the original choice of name. Incidentally, since 1.1.2005 not everyone born there has a right to citizenship.

I would guess that would be regarding children of people not resident in Ireland full-time ie tourists, people applying for asylum etc
Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

tillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to all

Legally the country is officially called Ireland not Republic of Ireland and not Southern Ireland.

There are plenty of non catholic schools and the education system is good. If your children are under the age of 10 when you enrol them then they will have to learn Irish. Over the age of 10 and it's optional.

My Doctor charges 35 euro a visit but the out of hours doctor charges 50 euro.

A visit to A&E was 60 euro the last time we had to take a trip.

The rules on stamp duty vary. Some people are exempt. It depends on whether your a first time buyer or not and on the actual size of the property.

There is a national health service in Irealnd it's called the HSE (Health Service Executive) and is the equivalent to that in the UK. Obviously if you want private then that's not a problem either.

I am Irish and returned here from the UK 4 years ago. As regards the cost of living - things balance out.

Stamp duty - higher
Veh Reg Tax - higer
Council tax - none
Water rates - none
Car tax - higher
Uni costs - lower
Doctor - higher
Prescriptions - higher (you can get a card that limits the amount you pay (per family) for prescriptions in any one month)
Cars - specs not as good as the UK
Food/clothes - generally on a par

Any other questions - just contact me.

Trish
Thanks for the info. Every little helps.

My kids are 18, 13 and 8 weeks.

The 18 year old would not be coming, if we choose to come.

I'm being very careful about were we go. New Zealand didn't work out as we had planned!

Cheers
Tillergirl
Old Jul 28th 2007, 8:29 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

The most northerly part of the territory of Ireland is in the Republic, so calling it southern ireland is bit misleading. Imagine somebody from Tory island or Malin head, Donegal saying im from southern ireland!!
It is still 'Southern' Ireland not matter how far north it is. There is a difference between Southern and South. Peronally I prefer to call it Ireland but whilst living in the UK (or should that be England/Britain?) people for some reason would refer to it as North and South.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
It is still 'Southern' Ireland not matter how far north it is. There is a difference between Southern and South. Peronally I prefer to call it Ireland but whilst living in the UK (or should that be England/Britain?) people for some reason would refer to it as North and South.
People in Britain do refer to the two parts of the island as southern and northern ireland. My friend calls it Ireland or the north of Ireland as he is a republican from S.Armagh/Newry area. When he goes back to visit friends/relatives I always wish him a happy trip to Northern Ireland, a phase he refuses to use and which riles him.

Interestingly, Martin McGuinness used the words "Northern Ireland" (appartently for for the first time) whilst being sworn in as DFM in the executive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/wo...rssnyt&emc=rss
Old Jul 30th 2007, 9:03 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of non catholic schools and the education system is good. If your children are under the age of 10 when you enrol them then they will have to learn Irish. Over the age of 10 and it's optional.

My Doctor charges 35 euro a visit but the out of hours doctor charges 50 euro.

A visit to A&E was 60 euro the last time we had to take a trip.

The rules on stamp duty vary. Some people are exempt. It depends on whether your a first time buyer or not and on the actual size of the property.

There is a national health service in Irealnd it's called the HSE (Health Service Executive) and is the equivalent to that in the UK. Obviously if you want private then that's not a problem either.

I am Irish and returned here from the UK 4 years ago. As regards the cost of living - things balance out.

Stamp duty - higher
Veh Reg Tax - higer
Council tax - none
Water rates - none
Car tax - higher
Uni costs - lower
Doctor - higher
Prescriptions - higher (you can get a card that limits the amount you pay (per family) for prescriptions in any one month)
Cars - specs not as good as the UK
Food/clothes - generally on a par

Any other questions - just contact me.

Trish
Do you commute into Dublin for work?

{EDIT} just saw your answer on another thread.

Last edited by Londonuck; Jul 30th 2007 at 9:07 am.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:04 am
Just Joined

joe sod is an unknown quantity at this point

Ireland does not have rates as they do in britain, but i would not rule out this being introduced in the future. Alot of problems are now emerging with local authorities not being able to run local services, one instance of this was the contamination of galway citys water, largely the fault of galways city and county councils. Ireland also has a bad problem with illegal dumping as you will no doubt witness if you drive around the countryside. This is the result of very high bin charges (where people baulk at the idea of paying such high fees just to have their refuse collected), there is also huge variations in charges depending on the financial position of the local authority. In short i think central government will introduce some sort of rates in the future although it will be highly unpopular.
Also it is best not to use the term southern ireland, it has highly political conotations, just use the term ireland. The republic is 4/5 the area of the whole island, using the term southern ireland sounds like it is an entity similar to northern ireland which it isn't.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

tillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by joe sod
Ireland does not have rates as they do in britain, but i would not rule out this being introduced in the future. Alot of problems are now emerging with local authorities not being able to run local services, one instance of this was the contamination of galway citys water, largely the fault of galways city and county councils. Ireland also has a bad problem with illegal dumping as you will no doubt witness if you drive around the countryside. This is the result of very high bin charges (where people baulk at the idea of paying such high fees just to have their refuse collected), there is also huge variations in charges depending on the financial position of the local authority. In short i think central government will introduce some sort of rates in the future although it will be highly unpopular.
Also it is best not to use the term southern ireland, it has highly political conotations, just use the term ireland. The republic is 4/5 the area of the whole island, using the term southern ireland sounds like it is an entity similar to northern ireland which it isn't.
Thanks for the info and the 'heads up' Joe Sod.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Jock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to all

The Galway water problem had nothing to do with lack of funding - money had been allocated for the job years ago, but the work was simply never started.

The last few hikes in mortgage interest rates by the European bank have tightened many pockets. Jobs are being lost to the Far East and Eastern Europe. I can see no way that the Government here would even consider introducing rates/council tax in the foreseeable future.

And there's an element here who would dump their rubbish it was 5 cents to have it collected.Thankfully, a fairly small element.

Incidentally, since you will doubtless end up driving a lot - petrol is still considerably cheaper here than the UK.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 11:31 am
Banned

waterlooo will become famous soon enough

Why are you leaving New Zealand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.