Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Considering moving to Ireland

Considering moving to Ireland

Old Sep 12th 2015, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

TravellingDog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering moving to Ireland

We are a couple with a dog with the opportunity to potentially move to Ireland. We are considering opening a small B&B and going for a quiet life (both have worked and lived in London).

We wondered where we should look before looking on rightmove - we will need reasonable access back to the UK for family

Looking at work, we will probably need to work a bit and wondered what skills are needed at the moment?

Thank you for many help!

Last edited by TravellingDog; Sep 12th 2015 at 6:59 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

mrhappygolucky will become famous soon enoughmrhappygolucky will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Considering moving to Ireland

Originally Posted by TravellingDog
We are a couple with a dog with the opportunity to potentially move to Ireland. We are considering opening a small B&B and going for a quiet life (both have worked and lived in London).

We wondered where we should look before looking on rightmove - we will need reasonable access back to the UK for family

Looking at work, we will probably need to work a bit and wondered what skills are needed at the moment?

Thank you for many help!
NO COMMENT
Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TravellingDog

Thank you for many help!
You can still find the quiet life all over Ireland and B&B is all about location and value for money. When it comes to work, the better paid jobs are obviously in the cities, such as Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick. Saying that, it really depends what kind of work you want to do, or let's say how much money do you need? If you're willing to work in retail or in the service industry, I'm sure there would also be opportunities in smaller towns, especially where you have tourists. You will probably also have to look at property prices and value for money. I'm on the West Coast near Galway myself and I wouldn't mind living in Co. Wexford or Co. Wicklow personally. For me Co. Galway works: I want to live rural without a long commute, the job market is good in my field and property prices are reasonable enough. No matter where you are, it's easy enough to get to the UK. In the West you have Knock & Shannon Airport, and in the East obviously Dublin Airport and good Ferry connection to Wales. For property, look on Daft.ie
Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that if you were running a B&B you would need to be onsite so that may limit your potential for other work, what do you think Travellingdog?