Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Republic of Ireland

Old Aug 20th 2017, 4:54 am   #1
Just Joined

Ratters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Completing the Irish Foreign Birth Registration online

Hello, I need some help if there is anybody who can assist.

My grandmother was Irish and died many years ago so I have acquired her documentation in order to apply for Irish citizenship through the FBR route. I am a UK citizen.

I am having difficulties understanding which sections need to be completed as I am being asked about my parent(s) who never bothered to get Irish citizenship at all.

https://www.fbr.dfat.ie/eseries/uiid...=1503203594873

On the general section of the above link, I am asked:

Did Parent (through whom Irish citizenship is said to be derived) acquire Irish citizenship by virtue of…
Important: Please note that this question relates to how the PARENT acquired Irish citizenship 1) Birth to a Person Born in Ireland 2) Naturalisation 3) Post Nuptial Declaration 4) Foreign Births Registration, 5) Adoption

Since the answer to the above is none but there is no option to leave this section out, has anybody experience with completing this?

There is also a parent tab on the same form. Since I am applying through a grandparent, can this section just be left blank?

I hope somebody can help.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st 2017, 7:30 pm   #2
DXW059 Male
Just Joined

DXW059 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Completing the Irish Foreign Birth Registration online

Hi,

I have recently sent off my application through my deceased Irish grandfather, so I hope I can help.

The idea of the application process and all the documentation is to prove lineage to the Irish-born grandparent, therefore you do have to supply documents regarding your parent (whose parent was Irish-born). This simply provides evidence that you of direct Irish descent. If you do not complete all tabs as requested with all documentation required they will simply return your application.

Assuming your grandmother was born on the island of Ireland (i.e. in the ROI or Northern Ireland) then your parent is automatically an Irish citizen from birth, and would not need to apply for this. Therefore you should select 1) Birth to a person born in Ireland as the answer to the question.

If you have any further questions just ask!

Dan
DXW059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st 2017, 8:04 pm   #3
Just Joined

Thanks for the information Dan. Much appreciated.

Since my Gran moved over to UK and married my British Grandad, her name on her death certificate will be different to the name on her birth certificate. I need to confirm this as I haven't actually seen it since it is in the possession of my Dad. With this in mind, do you know if I need to provide the marriage certificate of my Gran and Grandad to prove that it is the same person?

Along with the birth certificate of my father and my own birth certificate, am I right in assuming that this will be all that I need in terms of documentation?

Thanks for your assistance
Old Aug 21st 2017, 8:23 pm   #4
DXW059 Male
Just Joined

DXW059 is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a lot of documentation required. All the information is included in the application which you print once submitted but for an idea I sent the following (and copies of each):

- Birth, marriage and death certificate for Irish born grandparent
- Birth and marriage certificate for my UK-born parent (born to an Irish parent)
- Certified copy of UK passport photo page for my UK-born parent
- My own birth certificate and a certified copy of my UK passport photo page
- 3 proofs of address (utility bills, bank statements etc.)
- Two passport sized photographs of myself.
- I also sent a letter from my witness with details about their occupation following advice I received when I emailed the embassy (providing your witness has an official stamp or business card that you can include then you shouldn't need to send this too).

You will need to send your grandparents' marriage certificate - as you say this is so they can follow all name changes down to yourself (even if you have the same surname as your grandparent, they still want all this documentation).

Hope that helps!

Dan
DXW059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st 2017, 8:28 pm   #5
Just Joined

Thanks Dan. This is exactly the information I needed.

I think I have all of the boxes ticked now...

cheers

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Republic of Ireland