Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Completing the Irish Foreign Birth Registration online

Completing the Irish Foreign Birth Registration online

Old Aug 20th 2017, 4:54 am
Just Joined

Ratters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Completing the Irish Foreign Birth Registration online

Hello, I need some help if there is anybody who can assist.

My grandmother was Irish and died many years ago so I have acquired her documentation in order to apply for Irish citizenship through the FBR route. I am a UK citizen.

I am having difficulties understanding which sections need to be completed as I am being asked about my parent(s) who never bothered to get Irish citizenship at all.

https://www.fbr.dfat.ie/eseries/uiid...=1503203594873

On the general section of the above link, I am asked:

Did Parent (through whom Irish citizenship is said to be derived) acquire Irish citizenship by virtue of…
Important: Please note that this question relates to how the PARENT acquired Irish citizenship 1) Birth to a Person Born in Ireland 2) Naturalisation 3) Post Nuptial Declaration 4) Foreign Births Registration, 5) Adoption

Since the answer to the above is none but there is no option to leave this section out, has anybody experience with completing this?

There is also a parent tab on the same form. Since I am applying through a grandparent, can this section just be left blank?

I hope somebody can help.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

DXW059 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Completing the Irish Foreign Birth Registration online

Hi,

I have recently sent off my application through my deceased Irish grandfather, so I hope I can help.

The idea of the application process and all the documentation is to prove lineage to the Irish-born grandparent, therefore you do have to supply documents regarding your parent (whose parent was Irish-born). This simply provides evidence that you of direct Irish descent. If you do not complete all tabs as requested with all documentation required they will simply return your application.

Assuming your grandmother was born on the island of Ireland (i.e. in the ROI or Northern Ireland) then your parent is automatically an Irish citizen from birth, and would not need to apply for this. Therefore you should select 1) Birth to a person born in Ireland as the answer to the question.

If you have any further questions just ask!

Dan
Old Aug 21st 2017, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the information Dan. Much appreciated.

Since my Gran moved over to UK and married my British Grandad, her name on her death certificate will be different to the name on her birth certificate. I need to confirm this as I haven't actually seen it since it is in the possession of my Dad. With this in mind, do you know if I need to provide the marriage certificate of my Gran and Grandad to prove that it is the same person?

Along with the birth certificate of my father and my own birth certificate, am I right in assuming that this will be all that I need in terms of documentation?

Thanks for your assistance
Old Aug 21st 2017, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

There's a lot of documentation required. All the information is included in the application which you print once submitted but for an idea I sent the following (and copies of each):

- Birth, marriage and death certificate for Irish born grandparent
- Birth and marriage certificate for my UK-born parent (born to an Irish parent)
- Certified copy of UK passport photo page for my UK-born parent
- My own birth certificate and a certified copy of my UK passport photo page
- 3 proofs of address (utility bills, bank statements etc.)
- Two passport sized photographs of myself.
- I also sent a letter from my witness with details about their occupation following advice I received when I emailed the embassy (providing your witness has an official stamp or business card that you can include then you shouldn't need to send this too).

You will need to send your grandparents' marriage certificate - as you say this is so they can follow all name changes down to yourself (even if you have the same surname as your grandparent, they still want all this documentation).

Hope that helps!

Dan
Old Aug 21st 2017, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Dan. This is exactly the information I needed.

I think I have all of the boxes ticked now...

cheers
Old Nov 25th 2017, 9:51 am
Just Joined

wrightlilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All - just picking up on this thread. I am applying to enter on to the Foreign Births register.

My grandfather was Irish and died many years ago. I have all of his documentation. The problem is with my mother, who I am applying through. She has changed her surname to my fathers (as they have been together for 30 years), however they have never been married so I do not have a marriage certificate to show a change of name from her birth certificate to copies of her passport. How do I evidence this via the application? Shall I include it in a witness statement, signed off by the witness to my application? I am sure this is not something unique!

Many thanks for your assistance.

Elizabeth
Old Jan 6th 2018, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXW059
Hi,

I have recently sent off my application through my deceased Irish grandfather, so I hope I can help.

The idea of the application process and all the documentation is to prove lineage to the Irish-born grandparent, therefore you do have to supply documents regarding your parent (whose parent was Irish-born). This simply provides evidence that you of direct Irish descent. If you do not complete all tabs as requested with all documentation required they will simply return your application.

Assuming your grandmother was born on the island of Ireland (i.e. in the ROI or Northern Ireland) then your parent is automatically an Irish citizen from birth, and would not need to apply for this. Therefore you should select 1) Birth to a person born in Ireland as the answer to the question.

If you have any further questions just ask!

Dan
Hi Dan, hope you don’t mind me jumping in on this however my wife who’s grandfather was born in Dublin in 1896 is just about to have her citizen ship approved by the Embassy in Madrid. From our experience I can say your advice is spot on. We had previously done our family tree and collect all birth, marriage and death certs on the way. We also sent a copy of the tree since it made it easier to follow the name changes on the way. I lucked out my great grandad was Irish born so I can’t do it yet.

What I really want to know what is the next step she needs to take to get a nice green Irish passport and avoid having to renew her U.K. one for a “Blue” next time?

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Jan 6th 2018 at 3:17 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 3:20 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Hi Dan, hope you don’t mind me jumping in on this however my wife who’s grandfather was born in Dublin in 1896 is just about to have her citizen ship approved by the Embassy in Madrid. From our experience I can say your advice is spot on. We had previously done our family tree and collect all birth, marriage and death certs on the way. We also sent a copy of the tree since it made it easier to follow the name changes on the way. I lucked out my great grandad was Irish born so I can’t do it yet.

What I really want to know what is the next step she needs to take to get a nice green Irish passport and avoid having to renew her U.K. one for a “Blue” next time?
https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/spa...or-a-passport/
Old Jan 6th 2018, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn

Hi, not at all
As above, apply for the passport providing the relevant documentation (including foreign birth registration certificate as proof of citizenship) as per the link.

Good luck!
Old Mar 4th 2018, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

MLoader86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dan,

I also hope you don't mind me jumping in with a couple of other questions since you seem to know the situation.

I've read conflicting things, are two or three forms of proof of residency necessary?

I'm claiming Irish citizenship through my maternal grandmother. I read in this advice from the Irish Embassy in London's website (http://www.dfa.ie/media/embassylondo...at-Britain.pdf) that I need to provide my grandma's divorce decree. Is that necessary? She didn't change her name after the divorce. I didn't see it in the application requirements (http://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizens...foreign-birth/) just in the Embassy link that also says three instead of the two forms of proof of residency. I have the case number and details so I can get a copy from the court for £10 if I need to.

Finally, do you know if it matters where I apply from? I'm living in Sweden for the next few years and therefore it's tricky to show proof of residency back in the UK (it's difficult in general as utilities are included in my rent and my phone bill is pay as you go). I know bank statements are fine but if I apply from Sweden I'm thinking of using my an English language version of my work contract with my address on it.

Also, you mentioned about emailing the Embassy with questions. Do you have that email address handy?

Thanks so much for any advice you can provide,

Mike
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Marie7 is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a lot of documentation required. All the information is included in the application which you print once submitted but for an idea I sent the following (and copies of each):

- Birth, marriage and death certificate for Irish born grandparent
- Birth and marriage certificate for my UK-born parent (born to an Irish parent)
- Certified copy of UK passport photo page for my UK-born parent
- My own birth certificate and a certified copy of my UK passport photo page
- 3 proofs of address (utility bills, bank statements etc.)
- Two passport sized photographs of myself.
- I also sent a letter from my witness with details about their occupation following advice I received when I emailed the embassy (providing your witness has an official stamp or business card that you can include then you shouldn't need to send this too).

You will need to send your grandparents' marriage certificate - as you say this is so they can follow all name changes down to yourself (even if you have the same surname as your grandparent, they still want all this documentation).

Hope that helps!

Dan
hi Dan, I too need your help. I have completed on line application for citizenship and have everything in full except proof of residency. I haven't got a UK bank account for the same reason. All my utilities are inclusive in my rent. I'm really getting desperate as the office doesn't reply and its the only thing stopping me sending in all my documents
Marie
Old Sep 6th 2018, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Marie7
hi Dan, I too need your help. I have completed on line application for citizenship and have everything in full except proof of residency. I haven't got a UK bank account for the same reason. All my utilities are inclusive in my rent. I'm really getting desperate as the office doesn't reply and its the only thing stopping me sending in all my documents
Marie
Hi Marie,

How about a phone bill? Perhaps your tenancy agreement could also work as one proof of residency, but it's difficult to say and best to confirm with the office if possible. I did email them a couple of times and they usually replied within a couple of days.

Good luck
Dan
Old Sep 7th 2018, 3:17 am
Just Joined

Marie7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Marie,

How about a phone bill? Perhaps your tenancy agreement could also work as one proof of residency, but it's difficult to say and best to confirm with the office if possible. I did email them a couple of times and they usually replied within a couple of days.

Good luck
Dan
thank you so much Dan,
I just received this reply from the London office, it took a week but happy to get it,so I'll copy it here to help others.
We also accept letters from revenue, letters from your bank, letters from the NHS, prescriptions, polling cards, letters from your school/college, P45s, P60s, car insurance documents, mortgage statements, credit card bills, mobile phone bills, television, broadband, or landline bills, and other professional correspondence. You may use online print outs if they state your name and address on them.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

jafo1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

All I need is my Grandfather's FBR certificate. Does anyone know how to request a copy? Also,if I can't find it, can I register him myself even though he's deceased?
Old Feb 13th 2019, 2:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jafo1967
All I need is my Grandfather's FBR certificate. Does anyone know how to request a copy? Also,if I can't find it, can I register him myself even though he's deceased?
Your grandfather’s FBR? Unless your father or mother was registered before you were born then you won’t have a claim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.