Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Choice of banks in West of Ireland..

Choice of banks in West of Ireland..

Old Dec 29th 2005, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future
Smile Choice of banks in West of Ireland..

Hi - I was wondering if anyone had their personal fave. bank to use for when we land in the West of Ireland summer 2006? We normally bank with HSBC and Firstdirect in the UK but noted that HSBC only has branches in Northern Ireland and one in Dublin so may need to look to a different bank than we're used to. It would be just a normal checking account that can be handled online as well as in branches.

Thanks all, Daisy
Old Dec 29th 2005, 6:52 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choice of banks in West of Ireland..

Originally Posted by crazydaisy
Hi - I was wondering if anyone had their personal fave. bank to use for when we land in the West of Ireland summer 2006? We normally bank with HSBC and Firstdirect in the UK but noted that HSBC only has branches in Northern Ireland and one in Dublin so may need to look to a different bank than we're used to. It would be just a normal checking account that can be handled online as well as in branches.

Thanks all, Daisy
Hi Daisy

The two biggest banks are Bank of Ireland www.boi.ie and Allied Irish (don't know their website but will be easy to find). My preference would always be Bank of Ireland. They're just as big a gangster as the others but it's like politics and religion - it's where my family always banked LOL

There are others also, Ulster Bank, Nationwide and Irish Permanent.

Cheers

Norah

BTW, investigate Credit Unions when you get there too.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Choice of banks in West of Ireland..

Originally Posted by Batty
Hi Daisy

The two biggest banks are Bank of Ireland www.boi.ie and Allied Irish (don't know their website but will be easy to find). My preference would always be Bank of Ireland. They're just as big a gangster as the others but it's like politics and religion - it's where my family always banked LOL

There are others also, Ulster Bank, Nationwide and Irish Permanent.

Cheers

Norah

BTW, investigate Credit Unions when you get there too.
Thanks Batty - I checked out the Bank of Ireland website and my concerns were answered - banks in Ireland charge for transactions too just like US and Canada. Bah humbug! Does anyone know of a branchless outfit similar to Firstdirect in the UK and President's choice in Canada where you can still use cashpoint machines but have less charges to pay? I know, I'm such a miser!!
Old Dec 30th 2005, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choice of banks in West of Ireland..

Originally Posted by crazydaisy
Thanks Batty - I checked out the Bank of Ireland website and my concerns were answered - banks in Ireland charge for transactions too just like US and Canada. Bah humbug! Does anyone know of a branchless outfit similar to Firstdirect in the UK and President's choice in Canada where you can still use cashpoint machines but have less charges to pay? I know, I'm such a miser!!
Try the Permanent TSB http://www.permanenttsb.ie/ I have accounts with both BOI and the TSB, there's good and bad with both but the TSB do most of your personal banking for free. There doesn't seem to be an internet bank as such in Ireland, apart from one savings bank, not much good though for day to day banking. (can't remember what it's called off hand).

BOI and TSB both do online banking, I've had no end of bother with my TSB password though, apparently the website is so secure I can't get in

Don't forget to open your credit union account too if you think you might need to avail of a personal loan before you establish yourself with the bank.
http://www.creditunion.ie/publisher/index.jsp
BSG
Old Dec 31st 2005, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Thumbs down Re: Choice of banks in West of Ireland..

Originally Posted by BlueScottyGirl
Try the Permanent TSB http://www.permanenttsb.ie/ I have accounts with both BOI and the TSB, there's good and bad with both but the TSB do most of your personal banking for free. There doesn't seem to be an internet bank as such in Ireland, apart from one savings bank, not much good though for day to day banking. (can't remember what it's called off hand).

BOI and TSB both do online banking, I've had no end of bother with my TSB password though, apparently the website is so secure I can't get in

Don't forget to open your credit union account too if you think you might need to avail of a personal loan before you establish yourself with the bank.
http://www.creditunion.ie/publisher/index.jsp
BSG
Thanks for the info. I found that National Irish Bank have a free account too as long as you stay in credit at http://www.nib.ie/0,,33102,00.html. Talking of charges - we've banked with HSBC offshore since we left the UK in 1998 and the little tykes have just introduced a new charge - 15 gbp (sorry my US style keyboard doesn't have the pound sign!) - that charge is per month for anyone holding less than 5,000 in their account. What is the world coming to I wonder when they charge those who have less money and let the others who have loads lying around get away scott free. Hmmmm, we'll be changing accounts in a hurry! Bah humbug indeed!

Last edited by crazydaisy; Dec 31st 2005 at 5:19 am.