Reload this Page >

Young family moving to Dublin from London

Young family moving to Dublin from London

Old Mar 28th 2017, 9:58 am
Just Joined

mmjr1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young family moving to Dublin from London

Dear all,

I have been offered a good job with excellent prospects in Ireland and my wife and I are seriously looking at the possibilities of moving from the London area to Dublin. We have a young family with a 3 year old & 1 year old and have been looking at family friendly areas within reasonable commuting distance to the Dublin Port area. We would like to move to an area close to the sea, is good for familiies with plenty of life (bars, restaurants and shops) on our doorstep. Budget for rent would be around €2000 EUR/month.

Does anyone have any recommendations whcih would meet this considerable list of requirements?

So far we have shortlisted Malahide, Blackrock, Killiney, Dalkey, Bray, Greystones but all these places appear to be extortionate for rent!

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young family moving to Dublin from London

I have nothing to offer to the OP with regards to the OP's question. However, I think the OP should take a long term view while staying in Ireland.

Currently, as an EEA national (British Citizen) exercising treaty right in Ireland, you can apply for permanent residence card after 5 years and Irish Citizenship as well. The OP should apply for Irish Citizenship for the whole family when they qualify for it. This will give them an EEA citizenship after Brexit.

EU Treaty Rights

Citizenship

PS - if your other half will not be working in Ireland, he/she will need to have comprehensive sickness insurance for the whole duration of stay in order to qualify for EEA permanent resident card.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Eclucas is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved from London to Ireland a year ago to be with my partner who has three children. His children live in Stepaside which seems to be a lovely family residential area. I would definitely recommend Dalkey (we live in Killiney) - its a very cute little village which has a great community atmosphere and beautiful walks (along the cliff road and Killiney park).
Bray and Greystones are two of my favourites places - I'd say Bray is definitely more for a young family (its got a lovely stoney beach and some very nice restaurants/pubs along the seaside - its a smaller version of Brighton). Greystones is lovely but theres a little less going on there for families BUT its also a beautiful coastal village.

All the places you've narrowed it down to are great - its really depends on how close to town or further into the countryside you want to me. Personally I love a bit more space and on the coast so I'd say Bray if you're the same

I hope this helps,
Elle
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

mmjr1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Elle,
Many thanks for your reply which is really helpful. We are planning a trip over this weekend to have a look around and will be sure to check out Bray!

Thanks,
Mike

Originally Posted by Eclucas
I moved from London to Ireland a year ago to be with my partner who has three children. His children live in Stepaside which seems to be a lovely family residential area. I would definitely recommend Dalkey (we live in Killiney) - its a very cute little village which has a great community atmosphere and beautiful walks (along the cliff road and Killiney park).
Bray and Greystones are two of my favourites places - I'd say Bray is definitely more for a young family (its got a lovely stoney beach and some very nice restaurants/pubs along the seaside - its a smaller version of Brighton). Greystones is lovely but theres a little less going on there for families BUT its also a beautiful coastal village.

All the places you've narrowed it down to are great - its really depends on how close to town or further into the countryside you want to me. Personally I love a bit more space and on the coast so I'd say Bray if you're the same

I hope this helps,
Elle
Old Apr 4th 2017, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

mrhappygolucky will become famous soon enoughmrhappygolucky will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by HKG3
I have nothing to offer to the OP with regards to the OP's question. However, I think the OP should take a long term view while staying in Ireland.

Currently, as an EEA national (British Citizen) exercising treaty right in Ireland, you can apply for permanent residence card after 5 years and Irish Citizenship as well. The OP should apply for Irish Citizenship for the whole family when they qualify for it. This will give them an EEA citizenship after Brexit.

EU Treaty Rights

Citizenship

PS - if your other half will not be working in Ireland, he/she will need to have comprehensive sickness insurance for the whole duration of stay in order to qualify for EEA permanent resident card.
I have lived in Ireland for the last 17 years and have not heard of this permanent resident card.

Citizenship will cost €1150 per person the last time I checked.

Have you not heard of the Common Travel Area ?

Go and remoan and scaremonger elsewhere.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Will the Common Travel Area survive Brexit ?