Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Car - what best to do when moving?

Car - what best to do when moving?

Old Sep 15th 2012, 7:47 am
Just Joined

michaelrmonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car - what best to do when moving?

Might not help much..but here goes:

EU laws FAQ quoted from Europa.eu:

Insurance coverage

Will my insurance cover me in another EU country?
YES — Your compulsory third-party liability insurance remains valid if you travel to or temporarily stay in another EU country.

NOT NECESSARILY — For comprehensive cover (fire, theft, damage to your car, etc.), you'll need to check with your insurer if it'll be valid abroad during longer stays.

Also your policy probably (mine does) covers you to be Northern Ireland. Newry has some great shopping centres and filling stations! (ie proof you've been back to the UK) I go up there every month anyway for another reason (Barclays Bank) In my mind that resets this stupid* three month insurance rule.. (*ie most EU countries car insurance cover the rest of the EU for one year).
Point for discussion anyway..

MM.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 0lauded
The only company I have found that will do so is Quinn direct, however they won't insure my car because its over 15years old. Do you know of any other companies?!
FBD will insure cars over 15 but third party only.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 5:35 am
Just Joined

wiggsy is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, called my insurance company to clarify my insurance state:

and they outlined the following on my cert of insurance:
This Certificate of Motor Insurance takes the place of an International Motor Insurance Card (Green Card) and is evidence that the insurance extends to include the compulsory motor insurance requirements of any member country of the European Union; Norway and Switzerland.
- this means, if i dont plan the trip and pay, i only have effectively third party cover... but if i go for a year- im covered until the end of the policy...

also, notied this in the section:
We hereby certify that the policy to which this Certificate relates satisfies the requirements of the relevant law applicable in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Island of Guernsey, the Island of Jersey and the Island of Alderney.
As RoI is still part of Great Britain (UK includes NI, GB includes all of Ireland) then it appears that my policy is fully comp in RoI too.. need to clarify with Swift. but looks "promising".

for a car i owe 6grand off finance on, i dont think i will risk it with insurance though... i will pay the £50 quid for a month, transfer it all over. and get irish cover if needed...

(i note that if i dont pay the travel fees, im not covered if the ferry sinks too - so worth noting, if i take the car and am covered in ireland, i will cover "foriegn use" for the days of ferry journey all the same )

however: Great britain covers the surrounding waters too... therefore a ferry etc...? i guess its best to call individual insurers and get them to send you something in writing if you are covered (a fee is worth it )
Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wiggsy
As RoI is still part of Great Britain (UK includes NI, GB includes all of Ireland) ...
Er, no. See Terminology of the British Isles
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

wiggsy is an unknown quantity at this point

you know, Its the british ISLES i was thinking of. lol i realised as i was driving along BRITAIN refers to england / wales and GB includes scotland... then NI is UK of GB and NI. lol my bad but still...

at least i know i will have cover for TP use in RoI so insurance isnt such a big deal :P

Last edited by wiggsy; Feb 12th 2013 at 11:18 pm.