Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Car - what best to do when moving?

Car - what best to do when moving?

Old Aug 30th 2012, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

0lauded is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car - what best to do when moving?

Hi everyone,
I am moving to Ireland to live and work for the next 9 months before going back to the UK to work thereafter. I have brought my car with me. The problem is thus:

I have valid UK tax and insurance until the 90 days EU insurance cover runs out at the end of next month. I'm then left with 7 months to find insurance on a UK car in the Republic which so far has proved fruitless. I could register the car in Ireland (and be exempt from VRT by transferring residency) and then get Irish insurance, but when i'm to and fro-ing between the UK and Ireland next year, i imagine i'll be left with the same problem having an Irish registered car in the UK?

Any thoughts on what is best to do would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Old Aug 30th 2012, 5:59 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all
Default Re: Car - what best to do when moving?

Originally Posted by 0lauded
Hi everyone,
I am moving to Ireland to live and work for the next 9 months before going back to the UK to work thereafter. I have brought my car with me. The problem is thus:

I have valid UK tax and insurance until the 90 days EU insurance cover runs out at the end of next month. I'm then left with 7 months to find insurance on a UK car in the Republic which so far has proved fruitless. I could register the car in Ireland (and be exempt from VRT by transferring residency) and then get Irish insurance, but when i'm to and fro-ing between the UK and Ireland next year, i imagine i'll be left with the same problem having an Irish registered car in the UK?

Thanks,
You have two options:
1. Change UK insurer every 90 days for the 9 months and leave the car on UK plates.
2. Buy a cheap Irish car and insure it for the 9 months, then sell it when you go back.
Its not worth importing the car if you are only using it in Ireland for 9 months.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sean! Thought as much..
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

Be careful if you choose option one as you will need to supply a location where the car is kept for at least 4 nights a week, (your risk address). If you state it's kept in the UK and have a fault accident in Ireland then your insurer finds out that you're living here they could technically recover all of their outlays from you and cancel your insurance (which you would have to declare to your next insurer).

Option 2 would be a lot easier and safer.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:02 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Is the insurance 90 days EU coverage for the year - or 90 days continuous use. If you went back on the ferry and kept the return ticket would the 90 days start from then? Or do you have to inform the insurance company of our arrival in Ireland?

I have two friends who bring their UK reg cars over here for months on end, several times a year and they don't seem to have any probs at all - I do know that they keep the ferry ticket in the glove box in case the Customs &
Excise want to know how long they have been here.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Its actually 30days continuous and 90 days max!
Old Aug 31st 2012, 11:22 am
Account Closed

Its actually 30days continuous and 90 days max!
Irish insurance companies will insure a UK reg car, but have to inform the Revenue Commissioners after 30 days. But if you inform the RC of your temp contract I think you can drive here without re-registering it on Irish plates for 12 months.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

The only company I have found that will do so is Quinn direct, however they won't insure my car because its over 15years old. Do you know of any other companies?!
Old Aug 31st 2012, 5:11 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

The only company I have found that will do so is Quinn direct, however they won't insure my car because its over 15years old. Do you know of any other companies?!
www.123.ie
Old Aug 31st 2012, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sean, although i called them and it has to be an irish reg car!
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:53 pm
Banned

Another option is to buy an Irish Ford Transit van and put an amber light on the top.
Drive around with no documents on it at all.
The Gardai wont dare to stop you as they will think you are a Traveller.
It seems to work for all of them in Dublin.
If you have an accident just ask them if they need any block paving or tarmaccing done on their drive ways?
Old Sep 1st 2012, 11:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
Another option is to buy an Irish Ford Transit van and put an amber light on the top.
If you have an accident just ask them if they need any block paving or tarmaccing done on their drive ways?
You forgot to mention the three trainee child thieves sitting in front of the van unrestrained.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:55 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

For one so recently arrived " back " in this country you appear to be making yourself at home by adopting all the usual traits of the narrow-minded and bigoted minority in Ireland.
Not every Traveller is a thief or crook.
Not every person who doesn't live in Dublin is a spud-gobbling bog-trotter.
Times have moved on since you grew up in Ireland.
Oh, hang on a minute, you didn't, did you ?
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 11:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
For one so recently arrived " back " in this country you appear to be making yourself at home by adopting all the usual traits of the narrow-minded and bigoted minority in Ireland.
Not every Traveller is a thief or crook.
Not every person who doesn't live in Dublin is a spud-gobbling bog-trotter.
Times have moved on since you grew up in Ireland.
Oh, hang on a minute, you didn't, did you ?
You are right; not all Traveller's are theives, some of them are murderers.
Don't take my word for it though, what do I know? I am just a Plastic Paddie.
Here is the link for you:
http://www.independent.ie/national-n...d-3215055.html
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

You are right; not all Traveller's are theives, some of them are murderers.
Don't take my word for it though, what do I know? I am just a Plastic Paddie.
Here is the link for you:
http://www.independent.ie/national-n...d-3215055.html
Travellers represent 0.5% of the Irish population.
Travellers represent 8.7% of the Irish Prison population.

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

They must be wrongly convicted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.