Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

can you take your credit history to ireland

can you take your credit history to ireland

Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

eilish22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can you take your credit history to ireland

when you move to ireland do you start a fresh with regards to credit history or will they take previous history into consideration.

please help

helen
Old Jan 29th 2005, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can you take your credit history to ireland

Originally Posted by eilish22
when you move to ireland do you start a fresh with regards to credit history or will they take previous history into consideration.

please help

helen
I've tried to find the answer to that question too but with no real luck. Northern Ireland is part of the UK so I imagine your credit history will still be accessable from there. In the ROI though it's different. As far as I know, it doesn't travel with you. Getting a bank account will be hard I've been told but if you have a local adress and utilities bill in your name (it's a chicken and egg type scenario as you will come to understand) that will help a bit.

That said, I'm moving to Ireland in a couple of weeks. I don't envisage it being too much of a hinderance. I believe there are new EU regulations coming into force, or perhaps it's just a proposal but apparently then (some time this year), credit reference agencies will be able to do cross borders checks within EU countries.

Sorry I don't have a fuller answer, perhaps someone else will.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Dreamaway is an unknown quantity at this point

please help

helen
In relation to Southern Ireland (Eire) I believe your credit history is attached or catches up not long afterwards.
In fact the UK DSS computer system is also linked to Southern Irelands.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamaway
In relation to Southern Ireland (Eire) I believe your credit history is attached or catches up not long afterwards.
In fact the UK DSS computer system is also linked to Southern Irelands.

Oh! now that's interesting! The bit about the DSS computer links, I suppose it's the same with the tax because with income tax and child benefit, two things that directly affect me after we move, we have to stop the UK side and then pay/claim in Ireland. Everything I read suggested there was some way they can check you don't "double dip".

As for credit history, I don't believe it's attached because I have to pay deposits to utilities companies to transfer everything to my name, the bank asked for a reference from my current bank and both said it was because they couldn't check. That said though, it won't be long before they can, Experian are moving into Ireland shortly and with the new EU plans to open up cross border checks we should be able to shop around, move around and carry around our credit ratings with us.
That all said, I'm going only by personal experience and what I've read as I looked around the web as I prepare for my move. The world is getting smaller and information is already crossing borders one way or another.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

eilish22 is an unknown quantity at this point

where in ireland are you moving too?

we are looking at mayo or galway.

have you bought a property or are you renting?

i'm not sure about buying yet but there are not a lot of houses to rent in that area so will have to wait and see. we will be moving as soon as our eldest daughter leaves school this summer.

thanks everyone for the replies, it really helps, but it does show that this info is not readily available but it is very important

helen
Old Feb 5th 2005, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

where in ireland are you moving too?

we are looking at mayo or galway.

have you bought a property or are you renting?

i'm not sure about buying yet but there are not a lot of houses to rent in that area so will have to wait and see. we will be moving as soon as our eldest daughter leaves school this summer.

thanks everyone for the replies, it really helps, but it does show that this info is not readily available but it is very important

helen
We're moving to Co.Wexford, we found a beautiful house to rent initially but once settled we're going to buy. Renting seems the logical way to start as it will give us time to look around and find the house we REALLY want. My husband will be working in Dublin but doesn't mind the commute.

Schooling is the biggest headache right now, you mentioned an eldest child so I'm assuming you will be schooling younger children when you get there? I have a primary and secondary age child and it's the secondary school I'm struggling with as there are different types of schools to look at. Still, I'm doing what I can from here and will chose her school once we get there, subject to the schools admissions policy ofcourse. I'm not expecting that to be as easy as finding the house and job, to be honest

I can perhaps recommend a really good removal company, from Ireland when you're ready. They were much cheaper than using a company from the UK, at least from Scotland and came highly recommended by the storage company I'm using. Will let you know how it goes.

Three weeks! I'm ready!
Old Feb 5th 2005, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Dreamaway is an unknown quantity at this point

See below
a)Forum (users seem to know the score re-living / facilities in Ireland)
www.sceala.com

Property VERY EXPENSIVE nearer to Dublin eg Kildare ish etc.
www.eraireland.ie
www.property.ie
www.iavi.ie
www.daft.ie
www.colmmcevoy.ie

Schools (not gospel) check it out
Secondary = grammer as nearest eq to UK terms
Cost= Reportedly FREE but costs a fortune for everyday materials from primary to secondary. Books cost a small fortune EVERY year inc everyday materials. Parents provide everything.
Secondary = grammer /nearest eq to UK terms. Have to take ALL subjects.
Technical = not as academic as above.
UNI based on points system (eg +400 to study Env health) derived from results at LEAVING CERT LEVEL from Secondary school.
As I said NOT GOSPEL so check it out.
Guinness = GOOD (hubby)
Uke!!! ( me).