Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

buying a property in ireland

buying a property in ireland

Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

eilish22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: buying a property in ireland

hiya blue scotty, great to see you are getting along in ireland.

thanks for the info regarding banks/mortgages and credit files.

our house has been up for sale now since june, few people round who seemed interest, one offer but hasn't been in touch since and many time-wasters. I am so fed up just waiting around, i'm getting itchy feet.

we've been over about 3 times looking for houses but cannot do anything.

well i'm sure my day will come(one day!!!!!)

one thing i did want to ask was about money from the sale of the uk house. i was wanting to deposit the money direct into an irish a/c when the sale has completed, i can see myself carrying the dosh on the boat!!! how did you go on with this?

will speak to you soon

roisin
xx
Old Oct 24th 2005, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: buying a property in ireland

Originally Posted by eilish22
hiya blue scotty, great to see you are getting along in ireland.

thanks for the info regarding banks/mortgages and credit files.

our house has been up for sale now since june, few people round who seemed interest, one offer but hasn't been in touch since and many time-wasters. I am so fed up just waiting around, i'm getting itchy feet.

we've been over about 3 times looking for houses but cannot do anything.

well i'm sure my day will come(one day!!!!!)

one thing i did want to ask was about money from the sale of the uk house. i was wanting to deposit the money direct into an irish a/c when the sale has completed, i can see myself carrying the dosh on the boat!!! how did you go on with this?

will speak to you soon

roisin
xx
Hiya Roisin

Actually, we didn't sell our house in the UK so we didn't have to deal with the problem of moving wads of cash from one country to the other *L*

Im not entirely sure what the procedure would be to be honest, I believe you can move up to Euro 12.5K but I'm not sure if that's the legal amount or the amount the bank will allow for a fixed charge.

I think you'd need to dig a bit deeper, find out what the charges would be and also what the tax implications would be.

Sorry I can't help with that, but do be sure and open an Irish bank account asap, you need to do that in person (money laundering reasons) and also keep a british account, at least for a while

Good luck, sorry I couldn't help over much.

Did anyone else notice we got our own Irish sub forum??? cool or what????
Old Oct 24th 2005, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

eilish22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: buying a property in ireland

thanks for your reply.

I know our own forum, cool isn't it!!!!

I will mail a few banks to find out what the procedure is. i will probably go over before we sell to open an a/c with my british address and then just change it when we go. i'll sort it though.

i'm so glad your enjoying life in Ireland, it's such a beautiful place to bring your children up in. my girls (17 tomorrow and 10) can't wait, they would go tomorrow and live in a tent if necessary, me call me fussy but I prefer brick walls.

i'll let you go now, but promise to keep in touch

regards,

roisin
x
Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eilish22
thanks for your reply.

I know our own forum, cool isn't it!!!!

I will mail a few banks to find out what the procedure is. i will probably go over before we sell to open an a/c with my british address and then just change it when we go. i'll sort it though.

i'm so glad your enjoying life in Ireland, it's such a beautiful place to bring your children up in. my girls (17 tomorrow and 10) can't wait, they would go tomorrow and live in a tent if necessary, me call me fussy but I prefer brick walls.

i'll let you go now, but promise to keep in touch

regards,

roisin
x
Well, we're just happy you came back...we were beginning to feel like we highjacked your thread *L*

Hope it all goes smoothly for you, I'll be wandering round here no doubt so if you need any help with anything, just holler and I'll try and help.

Have fun, enjoy...and get yersel' over here!

BSG
Old Nov 7th 2005, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

paulbds is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just bought a property in Wexford -(aprtment, holiday home initialyy but will probably relocate when kids finish Uni) -fantastic place - real nice town, easy access, good road/rail links.
Note, if you buy a new prop in S ireland and are first time buyer, there is no stamp duty - -saved about €7000 - as long as you say you have never owned ahouse before (hi)
Cannot believe how Ireland is booming, every time we go over a new shop has opened - -not like here in North Wales where every 2nd shop is a chrity shop

paul
(Clonard Village, Wexford)
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulbds
We have just bought a property in Wexford -(aprtment, holiday home initialyy but will probably relocate when kids finish Uni) -fantastic place - real nice town, easy access, good road/rail links.
Note, if you buy a new prop in S ireland and are first time buyer, there is no stamp duty - -saved about €7000 - as long as you say you have never owned ahouse before (hi)
Cannot believe how Ireland is booming, every time we go over a new shop has opened - -not like here in North Wales where every 2nd shop is a chrity shop

paul
(Clonard Village, Wexford)
Nice one, Paul! Hope you enjoy your new property. The rail and road services aren't the best but with the new plans just announced for public transport, not to mention the Gorey bypass which will be completed in two years (and make the commute to the city so much easier/quicker) I think you're in a perfect spot.

If you need your property managed, drop me a line. If I can't do it, I might be able to put you in touch with someone who can.

I didn't know you could save on the stamp duty if you were not a resident......you learn something new every day.

Welcome to the Ireland boards *S*

BSG
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:22 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlueScottyGirl
Nice one, Paul! Hope you enjoy your new property. The rail and road services aren't the best but with the new plans just announced for public transport, not to mention the Gorey bypass which will be completed in two years (and make the commute to the city so much easier/quicker) I think you're in a perfect spot.

If you need your property managed, drop me a line. If I can't do it, I might be able to put you in touch with someone who can.

I didn't know you could save on the stamp duty if you were not a resident......you learn something new every day.

Welcome to the Ireland boards *S*

BSG
Hi BSG, the stamp duty is for first timer buyers - whether they're resident or not. So, as long as you say this is your first house (well, it WILL be in Ireland LOL) then you don't have to pay the stamp duty. We did that when we returned from London in 1999.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

vdtfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Batty
Hi BSG, the stamp duty is for first timer buyers - whether they're resident or not. So, as long as you say this is your first house (well, it WILL be in Ireland LOL) then you don't have to pay the stamp duty. We did that when we returned from London in 1999.
It's lovely to read of all you happy people locating to Ireland
I used to live in the west - Co Roscommon and I have a modernised house for sale there, which would be ideal for a young family and the West is much cheaper
The schools are also 2nd to none-every year local kids get to Trinity,Galway , Cork, Dublin universities