Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Brit with US husband, wanting to head to Ireland.

Brit with US husband, wanting to head to Ireland.

Old Mar 9th 2017, 1:02 am
Just Joined

Spirited is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit with US husband, wanting to head to Ireland.

I posted in this forum years and years ago, when I was looking to move from the UK to the U.S and have now been married to the same guy for 10 years and have become disillusioned with living in the U.S and looking for a change.

We would love to try something new back closer to England and Ireland looks appealing to both of us but I am going in circles trying to work out the logistics of moving.

We have 4 children but only 3 would be coming with us. We all have UK passports except my husband who has his American passport.

It is my understanding that we can both travel together at the same time, to R.O.I and that he wouldn't need any kind of Visa as an American and that we'd get there and have X amount of time to get ourselves together with the residency for him and make sure I get a job for myself etc.

I am just wondering how it is best to go about finding a place to live before we get there and without yet having employment.

At the same time, what is the best way to find employment without first having a place to live?

Is there a best approach any of you have found to this? I will have to travel right away with my children and my husband could either wait and work until I find something and get settled, or come with me right away - which would make it easier for me to be able to go to work, because i'd have him there looking after the kids but then he'd not have his job to tide us over.

I am so confused at where to start, but we both just know that we do not wish to remain in the states.

The other option might be to move back to the UK, but I'd really like to try somewhere else for a while first and live a little!

Thank you so much!

Last edited by Spirited; Mar 9th 2017 at 1:04 am.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit with US husband, wanting to head to Ireland.

Originally Posted by Spirited
I posted in this forum years and years ago, when I was looking to move from the UK to the U.S and have now been married to the same guy for 10 years and have become disillusioned with living in the U.S and looking for a change.

We would love to try something new back closer to England and Ireland looks appealing to both of us but I am going in circles trying to work out the logistics of moving.

We have 4 children but only 3 would be coming with us. We all have UK passports except my husband who has his American passport.

It is my understanding that we can both travel together at the same time, to R.O.I and that he wouldn't need any kind of Visa as an American and that we'd get there and have X amount of time to get ourselves together with the residency for him and make sure I get a job for myself etc.

I am just wondering how it is best to go about finding a place to live before we get there and without yet having employment.

At the same time, what is the best way to find employment without first having a place to live?

Is there a best approach any of you have found to this? I will have to travel right away with my children and my husband could either wait and work until I find something and get settled, or come with me right away - which would make it easier for me to be able to go to work, because i'd have him there looking after the kids but then he'd not have his job to tide us over.

I am so confused at where to start, but we both just know that we do not wish to remain in the states.

The other option might be to move back to the UK, but I'd really like to try somewhere else for a while first and live a little!

Thank you so much!
The OP should consider applying for US citizenship before moving to Ireland if not already done so. This will make your visit to the child staying in the US a lot easier in the future.

In order for your American husband to remain in Ireland, you, the British Citizen, will need to exercise EEA treaty rights in Ireland. Working, self employment and education are some of the examples of EEA treaty right activities.

Please have a good read at the link below -

Family Members of EU/EEA /Swiss Citizens
Old Mar 9th 2017, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Spirited is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, but citizenship is not an issue.

I just would like to know if anyone has found a trusted method in finding a job/apartment to rent when moving to Ireland and in which order it worked out.

Thanks
Old Mar 14th 2017, 7:21 am
Just Joined

Hillol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spirited
Thank you, but citizenship is not an issue.

I just would like to know if anyone has found a trusted method in finding a job/apartment to rent when moving to Ireland and in which order it worked out.

Thanks
Unless you intend to be self-employed, the job market in Ireland is very competitive as there are so many job seekers from both EU and non EU countries. Don't even waste your time applying for jobs with a non-Irish address on your CV. They won't consider you no matter how qualified you are. It's my personal experience.
So I suggest you start using an Irish address on your CV. If you have a friend or relative living in Ireland, you can use that address or you might have to move there first so that you can have an Irish address. It just gives the potential employers an assurance that you are readily available to do the job.
Once you are then and have an address, apply for a PPS number. It's the Irish equivalent of our NI number. The welfare office will not give it to you at first as you don't have a job. You basically need a reason why you want a PPS number. There can be many reasons. I suggest you say, you are applying for DPS (Drug Payment Scheme) card. Just google it to know more about this card. Download the application form, print it and take it to the welfare office on your appointment.
Then the next step would be to open a bank account. Trust me, this can be a nightmare. You need an ID and proof of address. I suggest you try KBC Bank first. They are the best in terms of customer service. They also have online chat facility on their website. Almost all the banks have a monthly or quarterly fees. But some banks have 'Basic Current Account', which is basically for those who are currently unemployed and (wish to remain so), newly arrived in Ireland and have no other current accounts in Ireland. These 'Basic' current accounts have no fees, so banks are reluctant to offer it to customers. They won't even advise you to apply for a basic account. KBC Bank offers a 'Basic' current account. So once you pop-in to one of their 'hubs' make sure you let them know that you want to apply for a basic current account, otherwise they will waste your and their's time in convincing you to apply for a fee charging account. It is worth to mention that being new in Ireland, you won't have a credit history. So even if you apply for a regular current account, it would be declined anyway. So the best way is to apply for a 'Basic Current Account' and after one year, the bank will review it and advise you to upgrade your 'basic' account to their regular current account.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryStampeder is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm doing the same thing, as always said countless times you and your US Spouse go to the Airport, tell them you're moving and they'll instruct you to go to your local GardaĆ­ HQ, from what I've read you will need your Marriage Cert, Passports, and an address (I'll be staying with family so I'll be using their address)