Any positive stories?

Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

blueeyes is a jewel in the roughblueeyes is a jewel in the roughblueeyes is a jewel in the roughblueeyes is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Any positive stories?

[QUOTE=Cuthbert Rizla;9859559]This piece of news may be of interest to you if you're considering a move sometime this year.
Now might be the time to start knocking out a few letters of interest with your CV.
Good luck.

Thanks a lot for this, it's really, really useful. Cheers, much appreciated.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
You will find it impossible to get a job in computer programming in Ireland.
I know an Irish Computer Programmer with a Masters in Computer Sciences, and 6 years post graduate Java and Linux experience and he is unemployable. He is emigrating to Australia this year to find work. IT work is oversubscribed, with most big IT companies such as; Dell, HP, Google, outsourcing their programming work to other EU countries will lower labour rates.
Rubbish. I get emails every day and at least 2-3 phone calls a week offering me computer/web-related work in Dublin. Seriously thinking of taking them up on it too, since it's still pretty well paid. And, I'm good at what I do, but not necessarily exceptional. I'm sure anyone with more experience or expertise than me would get their door beaten down by recruiters.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 2:45 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw
Rubbish. I get emails every day and at least 2-3 phone calls a week offering me computer/web-related work in Dublin. Seriously thinking of taking them up on it too, since it's still pretty well paid. And, I'm good at what I do, but not necessarily exceptional. I'm sure anyone with more experience or expertise than me would get their door beaten down by recruiters.
I would, you'd a cheap house at the moment as well.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:22 am
Just Joined

5flags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw
I've recently taken a good development job in Dublin, start at the end of next month. Can't wait.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 4:49 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 5flags
I've recently taken a good development job in Dublin, start at the end of next month. Can't wait.
Congratulations, that's great news.
And further evidence that anyone who is well-educated with a positive attitute really has no need to spend years leeching off the State at other people's expense.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 10:39 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
You will find it impossible to get a job in computer programming in Ireland.
IT work is oversubscribed.
ALMOST 1,000 workers were recruited from abroad last year to fill IT jobs -- some paying salaries of up to €70,000 -- because employers could not find enough suitable candidates here.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...d-3072132.html

Taxi for Sean MacMaghnuis !
Old Apr 5th 2012, 10:52 am
Just Joined

5flags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
[B]ALMOST 1,000 workers were recruited from abroad last year to fill IT jobs -- some paying salaries of up to €70,000 -- because employers could not find enough suitable candidates here.
Indeed. With the right skills, it's a good time to be in IT in Ireland. The package I got was over 70k basic, and that's before bonus and health care. Talk to recruiters, find the skill gaps - plug them!
Old Apr 6th 2012, 7:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by 5flags
Indeed. With the right skills, it's a good time to be in IT in Ireland. The package I got was over 70k basic, and that's before bonus and health care. Talk to recruiters, find the skill gaps - plug them!
It would appear that way.

MORE than 1,500 jobs in Irish software firms will be advertised online in a week's time.

Enterprise Ireland has confirmed it plans to set up a new website for its clients that will also allow jobseekers -- home and abroad -- to submit CVs over the internet.

An Enterprise Ireland spokesperson said there will be at least 1,500 opportunities in indigenous companies, which will include Dublin-based Realex Payments, Datalex and Version 1.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...e-3073382.html
Old May 4th 2012, 7:15 am
Just Joined

Sasannach is an unknown quantity at this point

Irish is mandatory if you want to teach in Ireland and there are plenty of unemployed teachers at present. The Irish do not take kindly to lifestyle blowins who avail of the welfare system after two years. Particularly when large numbers of their own have immigrated and their new neighbours are foreigners, who come from a different culture, play different sports,religon and have different values. There is no work in this country at present, my advise is forget it, things are going to get alot worse here
Old May 5th 2012, 9:20 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sasannach
Irish is mandatory if you want to teach in Ireland and there are plenty of unemployed teachers at present. The Irish do not take kindly to lifestyle blowins who avail of the welfare system after two years. Particularly when large numbers of their own have immigrated and their new neighbours are foreigners, who come from a different culture, play different sports,religon and have different values. There is no work in this country at present, my advise is forget it, things are going to get alot worse here
Which is kind of ironic when you think of all the millions of Irish people who have gladly availed themselves of benefits systems around the world over the years.

Generally most Irish people are very welcoming but there is still a sizeable minority who hold barely-concealed and often outright racist views of foreigners, especially the English despite the fact that we were the first to offer billions in financial aid when the country went bust.

Only this morning while reading about the sad death of a 21-year-old Irishman enlisted in the British army killed by an accidental stray bullet at a firing range in Wales I came across this comment in one Irish internet forum

" No loss.He died when he joined the Brits

Condolences to his family but he knew what he signed up for with the Brits.

I do business with the Brits and the yanks but there is only one Irish army.

Sorry to all the craw thumping bleeding hearts but there is only one oglaigh na heireann and that's just the way it is. "
Old May 8th 2012, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sasannach
So it would seem its fine for Irish people to want to immigrate and find a new life but its not fine for other cultures to move to Ireland and want a new life. Such a shame to read such rubbish.
Old May 8th 2012, 6:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
So it would seem its fine for Irish people to want to immigrate and find a new life but its not fine for other cultures to move to Ireland and want a new life. Such a shame to read such rubbish.
Er, yes, that's about it in a nutshell.
The Irish suffer from a peculiar combination of begrudgery and an inferiority complex which manifests itself in the national trait of believing Ireland should be treated differently than everyone else - simply because it's Irish.
It's the only former British colony where the inhabitants still whine on a daily basis about their past colonial grievances even though it's a hundred years since Britain ran the place.
History has also shown that since then successive Irish governments have managed to make a balls-up of running their country on a monumental scale.
Here's just one example - despite being in probably the worst economic shape of any country in Europe the Government still spends nearly €5million a year in providing specially-made Holy Communion dresses for children whose parents can't afford to buy them. How bonkers is that ?

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/co...r-3087456.html

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/co...t-3052867.html

Last edited by Cuthbert Rizla; May 8th 2012 at 6:04 am.