Reload this Page >

Advice on healtcare in Ireland

Advice on healtcare in Ireland

Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:47 am
Just Joined

sorchajames is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on healtcare in Ireland

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, it looks good and very helpful information, especially on the health system in Ireland.

We are thinking of moving to Ireland from Spain. We have been in Spain for 5 yrs, previously in the Uk. My husband is from Ireland but left for the Uk 20 years ago.

My question is, we are a family of 4 ( 2 kids ageds 6 and 8). We are all healthy apart from I was diagnosed with early breast cancer, DCIS, a few months ago. I have had treatment here but obvously a chance of recurrence in the future. As I understand it this would not be covered for 5 yrs under private cover. We would be looking to start a business maybe in the Leitrim area, but this would take a while. Could I register as unemployed ( I would take work if something came up ) and so get the medical card? What happens when you get a job, or business becomes successful.....I am presuming you then get medical insurance and come off the medical card but you still have the problem of pre existing conditions and have to wait 5 yrs for cover?

I think someone mentioned if you have a pre exisiting condition, and no insurance, hospital stay is limited to how much you have to pay....but is that just your room cost, do you then have to pay for surgery etc. Would you have to pay for a MRI scan for example?

Any advice on this area gratefully received.

Thanks

Sarah

p.s any info on bringing 2 cats into Ireland from Spain would be good as well.

pps If anyone wants a warts and all view on living on Spain I am happy to oblige!!!