Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

5 years in Ireland now and wish I had stayed in the UK

5 years in Ireland now and wish I had stayed in the UK

Old Aug 25th 2015, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 years in Ireland now and wish I had stayed in the UK

Originally Posted by bigjohn2014
Hi, if people think that coming to the UK is going to be an easy ride, think again, people who are on the dole here are having hard if they are 1 minute late for their appointment they are sanctioned which means no money no dole for how ever many weeks they are sanctioned for, their families have to go with out this is tough on families and very wrong, we have foodbanks over here where people donate food for the poor i always give them money, its so hard on our poor people mr cameron is a nasty piece of work thanks to the people who voted him back in, please do not think the UK is like it used to be many things have changed here the NHS is at breaking point people are waiting for ops almost a year, they do not do any ENT for children they have cut that out so many kids have bad tonsils but they wont take them out, care has gone down, maternity is worse than the 60,s its gone backwards, and so many mistakes being made with peoples health in hospitals everywhere the UK people have had enough, the reason im moving to ireland is i can buy for cash a bigger house for less money and have it adapted for my wheelchair, because even though i own my house here in the uk there are no grants to help me for adptions no OT here, no nurses who visit, our carers only get £55 a week to look after someone with dissabilities, and its a hard job to do, i am a pensioner so i dont have to worry about finding work, all my worries are about health care in the republic, but i have found out that i can get a medical card being a pensioner, and i think my meds will be ok as well, im waiting on a lot of tests here so i can be diagnosed, then i will be moving to ireland, id move now but have to wait for all these tests as im seeing a top doctor and its taken me a while to get all this done so cant go yet, but im getting my plans ready in the mean time as its a lot to do moving abroad, but the UK is a mess, its not such Great britain anymore we have lost the GREAT in it people wont stand up to the government anymore, i dont feel proud to be british either so be careful if you think its going to be wonderful in the uk it wont you cant even get a dentist you have to wait up to a year not nice when you have a raging toothache even doctors are full, its chaos dont be fooled, i was born in the 1950,s which was a good time to be born the 70,s was great so much work, it all went down hill in the 80,s and now its at rock bottom,
I'm sure you'll enjoy Ireland bigjohn. People who slag off Ireland like London Irish need to realise that life can be even tougher in the UK these days. I never said that Ireland is perfect, but if people believe the UK is a walk in the park, they might be surprised. Since you don't have to work, Ireland is certainly a good option if the whole health question is answered. You want a more relaxed life, the air is clean, we speak English and you get a lot more house for your money. I know rural places might not always be wheelchair friendly, but would be great if you could find the balance close to a town. My work colleagues husband is in a wheelchair and is always impressed how helpful people are.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

mrhappygolucky will become famous soon enoughmrhappygolucky will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I don't know what people expect. Of course you'll find Polish people in Carrick on Shannon, because it's main industry is tourism, or let's say hens and stags. During the boom there where hardly any Irish willing to work in the service industry, so foreigners came and many are still there. Alone last year there were 3000 unfilled hotel vacancies. Even in our neighbourhood there is a Polish guy working for the Irish shop owner and there is actually one Italian guy living with his Irish wife down the road (SHOCKING). And anyone who likes that movie should definitely visit Cong
"3000 unfilled hotel vacancies." Where? If they do exist it's because people just can't afford to take them.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrhappygolucky
"3000 unfilled hotel vacancies." Where? If they do exist it's because people just can't afford to take them.
3,000 unfilled hotel jobs as employers struggle to get staff - Independent.ie

It's not my fault that people can't afford it, whatever the reason. Fact is that there are opportunities out there for young people willing to work. If you're single without a mortgage, it certainly is an option. Better than complaining about immigrants.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

London Irish is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Zero hour contracts.

2. 8.65 Euro per hour.

3. Fake ads from recruitment consultants in order to keep fresh applicants on their books.

4. Temporary contracts not permanent.

5. Old ads not taken down by employers when vacancies filled.

6. Work in a hotel with Polish/Brazilian/Romanians/etc that don't/wont speak English.

7. Exploited by employers due to employee rich market.

8. 12 hour shifts, no social life, no regular sleep/eating pattern, days/nights.

9. Take abuse from managers and customers.

10. No work/life balance.

I could go on, but one gets the idea. Hotel work is dogs work. I speak from personal experience. The high staff turnover, and high unfilled vacancies are very telling.

Working in hotels is for students and immigrants, those desperate for cash in other words.

The truth is, one is better of on the dole than being a slave in a hotel on 12 hour shifts.

Its easy to talk about it isn't it? But have you ever actually worked in a hotel?

You see when I say its dogs work, that's not speculation, that's reality; I have been there and done it.

Wedding receptions until 3.00am, then back in at 8.00am for another 12 hour shift. All Ireland final day serving hundreds of drunks for 12 hours. Mopping up vomit, unblocking shit filled toilets. Then dealing with noise complaints the next morning from the night before.

Hotel work is low paid, long hours, and stressful work. Few want that, hence there will always be vacancies in what is a high staff turnover industry.

Its a moot point.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by London Irish
1. Zero hour contracts.

2. 8.65 Euro per hour.

3. Fake ads from recruitment consultants in order to keep fresh applicants on their books.

4. Temporary contracts not permanent.

5. Old ads not taken down by employers when vacancies filled.

6. Work in a hotel with Polish/Brazilian/Romanians/etc that don't/wont speak English.

7. Exploited by employers due to employee rich market.

8. 12 hour shifts, no social life, no regular sleep/eating pattern, days/nights.

9. Take abuse from managers and customers.

10. No work/life balance.

I could go on, but one gets the idea. Hotel work is dogs work. I speak from personal experience. The high staff turnover, and high unfilled vacancies are very telling.

Working in hotels is for students and immigrants, those desperate for cash in other words.

The truth is, one is better of on the dole than being a slave in a hotel on 12 hour shifts.

Its easy to talk about it isn't it? But have you ever actually worked in a hotel?

You see when I say its dogs work, that's not speculation, that's reality; I have been there and done it.

Wedding receptions until 3.00am, then back in at 8.00am for another 12 hour shift. All Ireland final day serving hundreds of drunks for 12 hours. Mopping up vomit, unblocking shit filled toilets. Then dealing with noise complaints the next morning from the night before.

Hotel work is low paid, long hours, and stressful work. Few want that, hence there will always be vacancies in what is a high staff turnover industry.

Its a moot point.
Well then your whole point does't make sense. You say Ireland is worse than the UK and although minimum wage would be over €1400 (take home salary) for a 39 hour week, you are now better of unemployed. It really is a bad country then
Old Aug 28th 2015, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Well then your whole point does't make sense. You say Ireland is worse than the UK and although minimum wage would be over €1400 (take home salary) for a 39 hour week, you are now better of unemployed. It really is a bad country then
I will break this down to the simplest level for you to comprehend. Think of my explanation as something a child would be able to grasp, so I think you may do too. If you cannot, then I concede; I have indeed failed to enlighten you with reality.

My social welfare from April-October per month is: 900 Euro.

My social welfare from October-April per month is: 980 Euro.

That is for a zero hour working week. So you are proposing a man is better to work 39 hours per week for 1400 Euro net per month. I would be around 100 per week better off working than not? No thanks.

You see to get to and from one of your 3000 dream hotel jobs, I would have to spend the guts of that 100 per week on fuel, or move to the city and spend it on increased rent. So I would be the same off as on the dole.

In other words, a totally pointless exercise to be no better off.

When you have worked in a hotel for 8.65 per hour, 39 hours per week; then come and talk to me. You haven't though have you? No. So I cannot take you seriously.

You see with my posts, it isn't speculation; it's based on reality, or some might call it fact.

Dole v minimum wage job? Dole.

Now have you grasped that all?
Old Aug 28th 2015, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

bigjohn2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

its exactly the same in the UK no different, zero hours, some people only get 4 hours a week, if you get the dole here you have to go on a computer everyday and prove you have looked for work your given a special password linked to dole office or what ever they call it today, the dole office then can watch you and see how many jobs you have applied for there is a certain amount you have to apply for every week and if you dont do this then your money is stopped even if you have a family, sanctioned its called if your even two minutes late signing on your sanctioned, you have no idea how hard it is for people looking for work when there isnt any 100,s applying just to work in MCDonalds and you have to have 3 interviews and wear black trousers and a white shirt your told this in an email i know this because my grandson applied a few weeks back its rediculous, its far worse in the UK than ireland by the sound of it you certainly wont survive in the uk i can tell you that, many people who have degrees cant even get a job in pound land, and with all the boat people coming through its going to get worse in the uk, the government are taking money off the dole and off the poor families, yet they can put the immigrant boat people in a hotel with 3 meals aday and give them £35 a week spending money yet let the people of the UK starve, what does that say about about UK not alot does it.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I will break this down to the simplest level for you to comprehend. Think of my explanation as something a child would be able to grasp, so I think you may do too. If you cannot, then I concede; I have indeed failed to enlighten you with reality.

My social welfare from April-October per month is: 900 Euro.

My social welfare from October-April per month is: 980 Euro.

That is for a zero hour working week. So you are proposing a man is better to work 39 hours per week for 1400 Euro net per month. I would be around 100 per week better off working than not? No thanks.

You see to get to and from one of your 3000 dream hotel jobs, I would have to spend the guts of that 100 per week on fuel, or move to the city and spend it on increased rent. So I would be the same off as on the dole.

In other words, a totally pointless exercise to be no better off.

When you have worked in a hotel for 8.65 per hour, 39 hours per week; then come and talk to me. You haven't though have you? No. So I cannot take you seriously.

You see with my posts, it isn't speculation; it's based on reality, or some might call it fact.

Dole v minimum wage job? Dole.

Now have you grasped that all?
The point is that you are fooling yourself by saying everything is better in the UK, when you are actually sitting on your arse doing nothing. You come here to claim benefits, have never paid into the Irish system and then complain about other nationalities who are willing to work. First of all not all hotel jobs are minimum wage and even in our company most qualified graduates only get around €1.600 in IT when they start. In the UK similar jobs are only £7-£9 the hour in places where the rent is twice what we pay here, but again that is the real world. A positive person would rather take the minimum wage job and see it this way: I am earning €500 more a month and not spending money on heating and electricity at home. In most cases you get free lunches, which again saves money and you are showing the will to work. Not all hotels are in Dublin, so saying that rent would be too high is another excuse not to work. Here a job you could do without leaving your place Catering Assistants - Supermac's, Carrick on Shannon, Co Leitrim - Supermac's - Jobs.ie - Jobs in Ireland. Irish Jobs.. But I'm not sure if you are a good outgoing personality:-). By the way, yes I've also worked in a hotel.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The OP's line seems to be, "I am not doing that job. That line of work is for immigrants."
Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
The OP's line seems to be, "I am not doing that job. That line of work is for immigrants."
Agreed.

At 38 years old, with a BSc 1.1 (Hons), and MSc (merit) I think I have served my apprenticeship now.

Would I work for 8.65 Euro per hour? No.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.

At 38 years old, with a BSc 1.1 (Hons), and MSc (merit) I think I have served my apprenticeship now.

Would I work for 8.65 Euro per hour? No.
Oh well, you appear to be stuffing yourself! Better to work and have your self-esteem than to live off others and be resentful. You do come across as owed something by society and you do not care who owes you it you just expect it. You seem to be the spoiled product of the welfare state. I hope other immigrants with a work ethic are not hindered by your sad lack of motivation. Do not blame others, look to yourself.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 1:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I think this whole thread is pointless. People from the UK are also immigrants here and the OP is also an immigrant. Many Polish have lived longer here than he has
Originally Posted by scot47
Originally Posted by jonboy
Better to work and have your self-esteem than to live off others and be resentful.
Quite. LondonIrish is an immigrant to Ireland & also a non-national . Holding citizenship does not make him otherwise than an immigrant .

I agree. He does seem incredibly resentful of his new chosen country. I am not sure the need for his long monologues unless it is to convince himself. conv

For my part, I find the whole thing very ironic & I suppose that is what drew me to post .

He has posted about Irish immigrants to England as though he is an authority. By his own posts , he is not. Far from it. From that I think this chap is a good ten years or more younger than myself .

For the record, my own childhood was hard but happy. My parents were not drinkers as LI inferred but worked very hard in low paid jobs. However this was at a time when waves of Irish ( and also West Indians) were moving to the UK cities and that created resentments. I am not interested in further interaction about that as it is all well documented & which matches my own family and extended family and friends experiences of that time.

History shows that it does take a while for acceptance and integration. That is just how it is.

The irony for me is that here is an immigrant to Ireland decrying other immigrants both past & present . Making incorrect derogatory sweeping statements , not only of Irish immigrants in the 50's/60's but also of those current immigrants to Ireland , of which he is one.

Am I confused or not confused by all of this palavar?

I am not confused by his MO. I am confused that LI seriously cannot see that he is the immigrant who will not work hard for his living, as my parents did before him & I have done in my time.

I will add that I find his post tone incredibly supercilious. Usually, I would be having a little word about this tone to others but as I also posted into the thread as a BE member with something I wished to say & those others on the receiving end appear to be getting their points across well without rising to the tone, felt it fair to let that go.

Like others, I would suggest the OP find himself some paid work . Any paid work. It will help his mood even if he feels at the moment it will not. I would also humbly suggest that he integrate himself with the people around him. All the people around him, for it is all those people, immigrants or otherwise that is the Ireland of today. Just as it is for the UK , New Zealand and so many countries of today.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jonboy
Oh well, you appear to be stuffing yourself! Better to work and have your self-esteem than to live off others and be resentful. You do come across as owed something by society and you do not care who owes you it you just expect it. You seem to be the spoiled product of the welfare state. I hope other immigrants with a work ethic are not hindered by your sad lack of motivation. Do not blame others, look to yourself.
The sad thing is that he keeps banging on about his degrees, but then moves to a place like Carrick on Shannon. Would a fisher go to the desert looking for fish
Old Aug 29th 2015, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BEVS
Like others, I would suggest the OP find himself some paid work . Any paid work. It will help his mood even if he feels at the moment it will not. I would also humbly suggest that he integrate himself with the people around him. All the people around him, for it is all those people, immigrants or otherwise that is the Ireland of today. Just as it is for the UK , New Zealand and so many countries of today.
Well said
Old Aug 30th 2015, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

This is interesting

Population and Migration Estimates - The European Migration Network

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.