British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Proof of driving experience (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/proof-driving-experience-323440/)

KHutchison Aug 31st 2005 9:02 pm

Proof of driving experience

I know that I can exchange my UK driving licence for an Ontario driving licence, but the regulation states that you must:

"show acceptable proof of your previous licence status and driving experience".

I have held a UK licence for 27 years but I have no proof that I have actually been driving continually throughout that time. Does anyone know if you actually have to show acceptable proof as stated. If so, what would you do to satisfy this requirement?

andy_sheila Aug 31st 2005 9:07 pm

Re: Proof of driving experience

Originally Posted by KHutchison
I know that I can exchange my UK driving licence for an Ontario driving licence, but the regulation states that you must:

"show acceptable proof of your previous licence status and driving experience".

I have held a UK licence for 27 years but I have no proof that I have actually been driving continually throughout that time. Does anyone know if you actually have to show acceptable proof as stated. If so, what would you do to satisfy this requirement?

Hi, As far as i know, the date your licence started is the "driving experience" proof that is needed. Bear in mind that the date on your licence isn't always the date you passed your test, sometimes if you have to send your licence back to Swansea for any reason, they put the date you did that on there as the "valid from" date.
HTH

KHutchison Aug 31st 2005 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
Hi, As far as i know, the date your licence started is the "driving experience" proof that is needed. Bear in mind that the date on your licence isn't always the date you passed your test, sometimes if you have to send your licence back to Swansea for any reason, they put the date you did that on there as the "valid from" date.
HTH

Thanks for the reply - just thought I'd check to see if I'd need a letter from my insurance company or something like that.

andy_sheila Aug 31st 2005 9:17 pm

Thanks for the reply - just thought I'd check to see if I'd need a letter from my insurance company or something like that.

That would be a good idea as you can use it when it comes to insurance, if you can prove a period of "no-claims" from the UK, the insurance companies will rate you up to 3 groups lower.
Insurance groups here (driver not the car) go from 0 - 6, most new drivers are grouped at 6 but our insurance Co. said that if we could prove 3 yrs no-claims from the UK they would group us at 3.

steve of 5-0 Sep 1st 2005 1:50 pm

A must to be armed with motor insurance confirmation of driving in writing, you will be glad of it when you walk into a insurance office to get quotes as with out any safe drivin` proof, you will get "boy-racer" rates only

Indigo Sep 2nd 2005 4:36 am

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
That would be a good idea as you can use it when it comes to insurance, if you can prove a period of "no-claims" from the UK, the insurance companies will rate you up to 3 groups lower.
Insurance groups here (driver not the car) go from 0 - 6, most new drivers are grouped at 6 but our insurance Co. said that if we could prove 3 yrs no-claims from the UK they would group us at 3.

Can I ask which company you are using? Our quotes were fairly good (well, I had heard people were being charged $5000+ so I thought our quotes sounded okay), then I clarified that my husband isn't Canadian (but has been driving in UK for 15+ years) and they used that "no Canadian experience" again, and decided to quote us twice the amount. I want to try a few more companies for quotes before we take the plunge and insure a car.