British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Worth flying home for dental work? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/worth-flying-home-dental-work-757481/)

conjonway May 8th 2012 12:27 am

Worth flying home for dental work?

Is it ever worth just popping on a plane and flying home for dental work rather than getting it done here?

I know that I'll get fleeced by getting dental work done in the Canada (no insurance or coverage plan available through employer) but was wondering if I would still be covered by the NHS for some (or all) of the dental treatment in the UK still? Which brings me to my next question - is there a time that you are no longer covered by the NHS, i.e. do I need to have spent a certain amount of time in the UK in order to still be covered?

When comes the time that I need to buy travel insurance if I'm flying home to the UK? Or does my british passport circumvent all that nonsense? :huh:

ann m May 8th 2012 12:30 am

Re: Worth flying home for dental work?

Why should you receive dental work at NHS costs in the UK?

Not being flippant - but if you are no longer resident there, why would you think you could obtain the dental work?

Are you in Canada temporarily, or a one year visa for example? Are you still registered with doctor/dentist, etc, in the UK, legitimately, because you are returning to live there soon?

Edit: the reality is that with a UK address and accent, it is unlikely anyone will question you further ... the morality of doing so is another matter.

JonboyE May 8th 2012 12:50 am

Or get it done in Mexico. A fraction of the cost and you can have a holiday with the savings.

Aviator May 8th 2012 1:57 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 10047087)
Or get it done in Mexico. A fraction of the cost and you can have a holiday with the savings.

You saw the TV reports on Global about that did you? :eek:

kins May 8th 2012 2:41 am

You'll be doing well if you can find yourself an NHS dentist who has space for new patients and can fit you in to an appointment at a time that suits your travel plans...

conjonway May 8th 2012 3:38 am

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 10047068)

Not being flippant - but if you are no longer resident there, why would you think you could obtain the dental work?

Are you in Canada temporarily, or a one year visa for example? Are you still registered with doctor/dentist, etc, in the UK, legitimately, because you are returning to live there soon?

Edit: the reality is that with a UK address and accent, it is unlikely anyone will question you further ... the morality of doing so is another matter.

Is a legitimate question about what a UK citizen needs to do to still qualify for NHS treatment.

And you don't get if you don't ask, or vice versa.

In the process of obtaining PR in Canada, but still learning about what the effects are!

The4BellsLondon May 8th 2012 3:47 am

Originally Posted by conjonway (Post 10047257)
Is a legitimate question about what a UK citizen needs to do to still qualify for NHS treatment.

And you don't get if you don't ask, or vice versa.

In the process of obtaining PR in Canada, but still learning about what the effects are!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Uk+national+eli...reatment+in+UK

conjonway May 8th 2012 3:50 am

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 10047265)

See, that wasn't so hard!

Aviator May 8th 2012 5:58 am

Originally Posted by conjonway (Post 10047267)

But you didn't do it, so it must have been eh!

scribe123 May 8th 2012 6:10 am

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 10047068)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you keep up whatever minimum payment you have to (national insurance, there may be something else - dunno), I think you're entitled to it.

mikelincs May 8th 2012 9:49 am

Originally Posted by scribe123 (Post 10047414)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you keep up whatever minimum payment you have to (national insurance, there may be something else - dunno), I think you're entitled to it.

There are almost NO NHS dentists left in the UK, they are all private, any that are left are few and far between, and have overflowing waiting lists.

The4BellsLondon May 8th 2012 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by scribe123 (Post 10047414)

See link _ you need to be resident. And even if rthey are nhs not many qualify for free treatment.

christmasoompa May 8th 2012 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10047712)
There are almost NO NHS dentists left in the UK, they are all private, any that are left are few and far between, and have overflowing waiting lists.

Certainly not true here (Berks) - we moved last year and had loads of choice of NHS dentists, all of which had space for all of us.

Stonedog May 8th 2012 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by conjonway (Post 10047267)

A thank you wouldn't have gone amiss either !!!

cheeky_monkey May 8th 2012 1:12 pm

i have done it..not intentionally when i was home at chrimbo..i lost a filling went beck to my old dentist i was still registered there..booked me in no questions..cost me 43 notes...would have cost me a minimum $200 in Canada..but i get healthcare at 80% so in reality it cost me more.